Page 63 of 70 FirstFirst ... 1353596061626364656667 ... LastLast
    Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    I also have been filling in the volumes of Jack Katz's First Kingdom I was missing, plus picked up a snazzy book about Gil Kane...

and not comics but comic adjacent, I picked up this art book retrospective of the Black Kirby exhibit from a half dozen years ago as well...

-M
    What is that Black Kirby? I have never seen that before
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Quote Originally Posted by Kai "the spy" View Post
    My monthly comics package from my dealer in Berlin has arrived, including some new and old collections:

- Godzilla: Complete Rulers of Earth, Vol. 1 (SC)
    - The Joker: 80 Years of the Clown Prince of Crime (HC)
    - Walter Simonson's Ragnarök, Vol. 1: Last God Standing (SC)
    - Red Sonja: Worlds Away, Vol. 1 (SC)
    - Star Trek / Green Lantern, Vol. 1: Spectrum War (SC)
    - Stargirl by Geoff Johns (SC)
    Hey Kai, can you let me know how good that Godzilla book is when you're done? Maybe even some pics?
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

My most recent purchases are

Giant Days TPB Volume 1
    Jupiter's Legacy Volume 2
    Invincible Compendium Volume 3
    Black Science Premiere Hardcover Volume 2
    Black Science Premiere Hardcover Volume 3
    Pull List: Daredevil, Radiant Black, Rogue Sun, No One, Time Before Time

“We never lose our demons. We only learn to live above them"

I picked up the Volume 1 collection for the new Usagi Yojimbo series entitled Bunraku & Other Stories.
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

Quote Originally Posted by The Whovian View Post
    What is that Black Kirby? I have never seen that before
    Black Kirby is an art collective comprising Stacey Robinson & John Jennings. They put together a series of Kirby influenced works and homages that explored themes including Afrofuturism and black identity. These works comprised a travelling exhibit that toured circa 2012, and this book is a retrospective of the exhibit plus a collections of essays, articles and features from a number of contributing writers, mostly academics in the fields of comics, black studies, African history, African American history, or music. Most of these features averaged about 2 pages (some 1, some 3, most 2 pages) and included a Black Kirby illustration of the author in a Kirbyesque guise. While short, these articles were interesting, informative and thought-provoking. But the majority of the book is focused on the art, and it is amazing. Powerful, beautiful, thought-provoking, a feast for both the eyes and the mind as all good art should be. Most wears the Kirby influence on its sleeve, some samples Kirby directly others are just riffing on his style, and still others are just inspired by Kirby themes or images. You can find samples of the art and pictures from the exhibition online if you are curious.

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Quote Originally Posted by The Whovian View Post
    Hey Kai, can you let me know how good that Godzilla book is when you're done? Maybe even some pics?
    It might be a while before I actually get around to reading it, my stack of unread comics (not to mention non-graphic literature) does not seem to get any smaller. So while I can't say much about the story, the art looks very nice. Matt Frank, the artist, has been doing Kaiju fanart on DeviantArt since the mid-00s, so he's a real fan, and the love he has for the monsters and the mayhem they cause really shows in the art. Here are some examples of his interior art:

Picked up Vol. 3 of Jack Katz's First Kingdom (it was the last of the 6 volumes I needed)

-M

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

A Lonestar order with a few comic strip collections and an Eisner OGN arrived today...

first up, replacement copy of The Dreamer, a book I had, lent out and never got back...

and a collection of the early Superman daily comic strips from '39-42 (I already had the Sundays collection from that era)...

and filling in a large chunk of Milton Canniff's Terry and the Pirates with seven of the NBM volumes (giving me 22 of the 25 volumes now I believe)...

-M

I picked up Volume 9 of the Mike Grell Green Arrow run Old Tricks today. I'm waiting for Volumes 7 and 8 to come in to my shop.

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

Astonishing Member CellarDweller's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    Black Kirby is an art collective comprising Stacey Robinson & John Jennings. They put together a series of Kirby influenced works and homages that explored themes including Afrofuturism and black identity. These works comprised a travelling exhibit that toured circa 2012, and this book is a retrospective of the exhibit plus a collections of essays, articles and features from a number of contributing writers, mostly academics in the fields of comics, black studies, African history, African American history, or music. Most of these features averaged about 2 pages (some 1, some 3, most 2 pages) and included a Black Kirby illustration of the author in a Kirbyesque guise. While short, these articles were interesting, informative and thought-provoking. But the majority of the book is focused on the art, and it is amazing. Powerful, beautiful, thought-provoking, a feast for both the eyes and the mind as all good art should be. Most wears the Kirby influence on its sleeve, some samples Kirby directly others are just riffing on his style, and still others are just inspired by Kirby themes or images. You can find samples of the art and pictures from the exhibition online if you are curious.

-M
    Thanks MRP! I'm going to have to get this

Quote Originally Posted by Kai "the spy" View Post
    It might be a while before I actually get around to reading it, my stack of unread comics (not to mention non-graphic literature) does not seem to get any smaller. So while I can't say much about the story, the art looks very nice. Matt Frank, the artist, has been doing Kaiju fanart on DeviantArt since the mid-00s, so he's a real fan, and the love he has for the monsters and the mayhem they cause really shows in the art. Here are some examples of his interior art:
    Thanks Kai. I'm the same way. I have a backlog of books to read.

Ultimate Member

The new Aqualad graphic novel.

It was actually good and it DOES scream for a second book but had an decent end if one doesn't happen.

Up next (via the library) Your Black Friend and other Strangers

My local shop (part of a small chain) put a bunch of trades on sale in the last week. I picked up Marvel Firsts The 1970s today for 8 bucks.

AAAABook26.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Deathstroke View Post
    My local shop (part of a small chain) put a bunch of trades on sale in the last week. I picked up Marvel Firsts The 1970s today for 8 bucks.

AAAABook26.jpg
    Nice pick up. I have Vol. 2 and 3 of that series but never saw a Vol. 1 in the wild.

-M