Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter BlitheringToot's Avatar

It scares me a bit to see there seem to be more people in favor of the SHRA now than there were when the comic first came out.
    "What would you prefer? Yellow spandex?" – Scott Summers, 2000

Quote Originally Posted by BlitheringToot View Post
    It scares me a bit to see there seem to be more people in favor of the SHRA now than there were when the comic first came out.
    I didn't have an issue with the SHRA just the inconsistent way it was portrayed.

The idea that super-individuals should not be submitted to mandatory training in the control of their power(s) is both absurd and irresponsible.
    As citizens living in a society/community, it should be the BARE MINIMUM for them to do so.
    "The means are as important as the end - we have to do this right or not at all.
    Anything less negates every belief we've ever had, every sacrifice we've ever made."

"Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely."

"No justice, no peace."

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by BlitheringToot View Post
    It's easy to scare the populace, or their representatives, into giving up their civil liberties. 9/11 made it easier, but fear has always been a useful tactic.

Anyway, I don't mind having a minority opinion, or even an opinion of one. Sometimes, more people agree with you, than they are willing to admit at any given time.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Tony Stark, scum of the marvel universe. As he told Jen at the start of cw (and she came off as an idiot throughout most of it) when he's in a struggle he only cares about winning, how is beside the point. Reed of course just likes to play with toys.
    At least Stark had the common sense to sleep with Jen's green alter ego, BEFORE she found out Stark sent her cousin off world.

Quote Originally Posted by xcoijoi View Post
    It's easy to scare the populace, or their representatives, into giving up their civil liberties. 9/11 made it easier, but fear has always been a useful tactic.

Anyway, I don't mind having a minority opinion, or even an opinion of one. Sometimes, more people agree with you, than they are willing to admit at any given time.
    It's not about giving up civil liberties, quite the opposite. You can't have real Freedom in an adult context without Justice. You can't have Justice without Accountability. And you can't have Accountability without the regulation of those with power like cops, soldiers, and super-vigilantes.

Rogers isn't fighting for real freedom in an adult context. He's fighting to be a cop free of dash-cams. He's fighting to be a CIA agent allowed to waterboard. He's fighting to have all the animal "freedom" from regulation that causes massive loss of real freedom in an adult context.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by People Of The Earth View Post
    The idea that super-individuals should not be submitted to mandatory training in the control of their power(s) is both absurd and irresponsible.
    As citizens living in a society/community, it should be the BARE MINIMUM for them to do so.
    The bare minimum in the case of the SHRA was to take children and train them in a brutal military style. At one point a student was being trained by the man who tried to kill her father. That's not irresponsible? If you could give me some guarantee that the US government would not abuse it's power then maybe I'd go along with the idea, but you can't.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelC View Post
    It's not about giving up civil liberties, quite the opposite. You can't have real Freedom in an adult context without Justice. You can't have Justice without Accountability. And you can't have Accountability without the regulation of those with power like cops, soldiers, and super-vigilantes.

Rogers isn't fighting for real freedom in an adult context. He's fighting to be a cop free of dash-cams. He's fighting to be a CIA agent allowed to waterboard. He's fighting to have all the animal "freedom" from regulation that causes massive loss of real freedom in an adult context.
    No, he was in part fighting for the right to be left alone. If you are talking accountability go back over the list of what the US government and SHIELD did wrong and tell me who was accountable. What it comes down to is who do you trust more, people who for years had been putting their lives on the line without pay, for the most part without fanfare and at great risk or the US Government that was presented as a near dictatorship with SHIELD as the storm troopers. Assuming Cap had been captured at that point on the helicarier, do you really think Hill or SHIELD would have given him any sort of trial? He'd have vanished the same the Hulk vanished.
    Last edited by Mark; 05-04-2015 at 09:15 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by xcoijoi View Post
    At least Stark had the common sense to sleep with Jen's green alter ego, BEFORE she found out Stark sent her cousin off world.

He was never going to tell her, he was going to keep sleeping with her and lying to her.
    Last edited by Mark; 05-04-2015 at 09:24 AM.

If you're going to actively go out and "fight crime," then I agree there should be some accountability there. A training program, a la X-Factor or a friendlier Camp Hammond, would be great. But the SHRA in the comics was MANDATORY. If you have powers in any way, shape or form, you sign up and get profiled for the Initiative or it's off to the Negative Zone with you. Most superhumans just wanted to go about their lives in peace (again, Cloud 9 springs to mind, and there were plenty of others who were less visible than her). And many of them had no say in how they got their powers (be it a freak lab accident or just being born a mutant).

I'm just very uncomfortable with the idea of government having oversight into every aspect of my life. I get that there are already plenty of everyday ways Uncle Sam keeps track of me, but there has to be a line. I'm firmly opposed to the SHRA, and I can't wait to see Tony get crumpled like a tin can on the big screen.

If you are talking accountability go back over the list of what the US government and SHIELD did wrong and tell me who was accountable.
    That's a case for even more regulation than the SHRA offered. Let's remove individual corruption from the equation: let's say the Ant-Regs acted exactly like the Pro-Regs, and the pure issue were the only thing being debated, not "a pro-reg raped a kitten so pro-reg is wrong!" Then Pro-Reg would obviously be the pro-accountability, pro-justice, pro real freedom in an adult context side of the debate. The corruption of individuals doesn't change that. Pro-Life vs Pro-Choice isn't settled because an individual Pro-Choicer or Pro-Lifer rapes a kitten.

Quote Originally Posted by People Of The Earth View Post
    For those powers that can actually pose a threat to others (e.g., explosive energy blasts), there's a point here, although that bare minimum in such cases would simply be how to not activate them if they have no intention of using them in crime fighting... which was not the case with the SHRA as portrayed.

For plenty of other powers, though, such as invulnerability, enhanced senses, regeneration, breathing underwater even arguably superstrength if somebody has no history of brawling or flight if somebody is willing to stay out of controlled airspace (and even there, it could be argued that self-powered flyers are no more subject to FAA regulation than birds)... in these cases, there doesn't seem to be any compelling government interest in either registration or mandatory training.

Now, if we're talking would be superheroes as opposed to just those with superhuman powers, it's a little different, but even there, existing citizens arrest statutes and standards for justifiable self-defense (which always includes defense of others as well) don't require any special registration to apply to individuals. If somebody's going to be running around on a regular basis patrolling for crime in a mask or acting as a first responder, you'd want some level of identification and training, true enough, but that would be more a local or state matter than a federal one.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelC View Post
    That's a case for even more regulation than the SHRA offered. Let's remove individual corruption from the equation: let's say the Ant-Regs acted exactly like the Pro-Regs, and the pure issue were the only thing being debated, not "a pro-reg raped a kitten so pro-reg is wrong!" Then Pro-Reg would obviously be the pro-accountability, pro-justice, pro real freedom in an adult context side of the debate. The corruption of individuals doesn't change that. Pro-Life vs Pro-Choice isn't settled because an individual Pro-Choicer or Pro-Lifer rapes a kitten.
    Only if you remove the draft component, or any suggestion that the government can mutilate you by trying to remove your powers if you don't qualify for the license. But those were part of the law in the story.

Quote Originally Posted by vitruvian View Post
    For those powers that can actually pose a threat to others (e.g., explosive energy blasts), there's a point here, although that bare minimum in such cases would simply be how to not activate them if they have no intention of using them in crime fighting... which was not the case with the SHRA as portrayed.

For plenty of other powers, though, such as invulnerability, enhanced senses, regeneration, breathing underwater even arguably superstrength if somebody has no history of brawling or flight if somebody is willing to stay out of controlled airspace (and even there, it could be argued that self-powered flyers are no more subject to FAA regulation than birds)... in these cases, there doesn't seem to be any compelling government interest in either registration or mandatory training.

Now, if we're talking would be superheroes as opposed to just those with superhuman powers, it's a little different, but even there, existing citizens arrest statutes and standards for justifiable self-defense (which always includes defense of others as well) don't require any special registration to apply to individuals. If somebody's going to be running around on a regular basis patrolling for crime in a mask or acting as a first responder, you'd want some level of identification and training, true enough, but that would be more a local or state matter than a federal one.
    Quoted for truth.

Fantastic Member

He was never going to tell her, he was going to keep sleeping with her and lying to her.
    Yep, in character.