Page 1 of 44 1234511 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Default Do you buy the Iceman reveal?

As you know the young time displaced Iceman came out as gay. So my question is, did you buy the reveal? Do you think it made sense? Do you think think conflicted with continuity? Did it feel like a natural progression? Did it feel forced? I wan't to no what people think. And please, let's the keep the discussion clean.

Do I buy it? Yes. The writer wrote it, so therefore I buy it. I read stories to see what the writer has to tell, not to read then decide whether or not it is true.

But to answer your actual questions, I felt like it made perfect sense, nor do I find it shocking or forced. My reaction was more like, "about time".

I think it made sense and was a natural progression of his character. I don't think it felt forced either, I mean coming out is hardly ever a simple thing and it's clear that Bobby was insecure about something. I also don't think it conflicted with continuity because lol comics and lots of people have meaningful relationships with the opposite sex but later come out as gay. You don't need to have a specific history to be gay.

Quote Originally Posted by William300 View Post
    Did it feel forced?
    Well, it does feel like Bendis threw down a challenge to other X-Men writers to grapple with what this means for present-day Bobby.

Yes it was a natural progression and connected the dots since Defenders v1. It felt like a natural progression of the character. However as we all know the character that progressed is O5 body the story is still being told with Old Iceman coming to terms with it in Uncanny X-Men 600 which you can pick up in stores in July.

Quote Originally Posted by ExodusCloak View Post
    Yes it was a natural progression and connected the dots since Defenders v1. It felt like a natural progression of the character. However as we all know the character that progressed is O5 body the story is still being told with Old Iceman coming to terms with it in Uncanny X-Men 600 which you can pick up in stores in July.
    There was no "connecting the dots".
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 04-28-2015 at 07:33 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Liquid View Post
    There was no "connecting the dots".
    yea, I have to agree with you. I don't get why people think that Bobby being bad at dating hints at him being gay.
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 04-28-2015 at 07:33 PM.

Extraordinary Member

I don't buy it at all. The problem with Iceman was that he was the least used of the original five X-Men by writers. I don't think CC really cared for him. As such, his lack of engaging storylines was explained that he was a slacker who never tried to make the most out of his great potential. Stories have implied the cause of that was due to having a bigoted father. Bobby never went out of his way to be extraordinary. Being a slacker made him a less than effective hero, and romantic partner. He typically loses women to more passionate male rivals.

He simply never put his all into anything.

I never saw him as being gay.

Bobby is just a slacker.

I'll buy it in TPB.
    I was trying to do too much and not doing any of it as well as I could. But I've had a change of mind... though not everyone shall enjoy it. I will.

#midnightermonday #uglystepchildren #lolgbtcomedyshow

Tumblr: http://newmutantmayhem.tumblr.com/

IG: https://www.instagram.com/ginger_drew/

Secretly in the Shadows Starleafgirl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by William300 View Post
    As you know the young time displaced Iceman came out as gay. So my question is, did you buy the reveal? Do you think it made sense? Do you think think conflicted with continuity? Did it feel like a natural progression? Did it feel forced? I wan't to no what people think. And please, let's the keep the discussion clean.
    Yes.

I agree with Grey: "It's about time!"

Lol.

This topic would be better with a poll.
    Prεtty Pεnny
    I have no speech. No name. I live in the action of death. The blood-cry, the penetrating wound. I am destruction.... http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7.../penance-1.jpg
    <----------------------------------->

Keep the snark to a minimum. ~ The CBR Community Behavior Rules

"What? I can't promise that!" ~ Starleafgirl

Original Join Date: 10-31-2007

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Shaw View Post
    I don't buy it at all. The problem with Iceman was that he was the least used of the original five X-Men by writers. I don't think CC really cared for him. As such, his lack of engaging storylines was explained that he was a slacker who never tried to make the most out of his great potential. Stories have implied the cause of that was due to having a bigoted father. Bobby never went out of his way to be extraordinary. Being a slacker made him a less than effective hero, and romantic partner. He typically loses women to more passionate male rivals.

He simply never put his all into anything.

I never saw him as being gay.

Bobby is just a slacker.
    Bobby can be all these things and still be gay. They can totally exist together. Not everything in Bobby Drake's life happened because he was or wasn't gay.

Gay guys can be nerdy, slacker, pranksters that have trouble in all kinds of relationships too.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Beezzi View Post
    Bobby can be all these things and still be gay. They can totally exist together. Not everything in Bobby Drake's life happened because he was or wasn't gay.

Gay guys can be nerdy, slacker, pranksters that have trouble in all kinds of relationships too.
    I understand where you are coming from, but I just don't think Bobby is gay.

I think this is a case of writers not knowing what else to do with Bobby.

The problem with Bobby was that writers just don't write engaging stories with him at the center.

Northstar was implied to be gay fairly early in Alpha Flight.

Not so, with Bobby.

I only wonder if this new chapter will prompt writers to use Bobby more.

https://youtu.be/2qhyfajRGJo

Family guy also knew.

BANNED

I'll reserve my answer for when we have positive proof that the teen 05 are the younger 616 counterparts of the adult 05.

Quote Originally Posted by ZNOP View Post
    I'll reserve my answer for when we have positive proof that the teen 05 are the younger 616 counterparts of the adult 05.
    I'm with ZNOP here. The explanation oughta be good.
    Le Suck it, Dolphin!

-God I am so tired.

SCOTT SUMMERS AND EMMA FROST DESERVED BETTER.