Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Vegeta View Post
    darthfury has a stamina of 10.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Darthfury78 View Post
    That is not so simple. Spider-Man's situation involving the Abomination would be quite complex that goes well beyond a mere slugfest super villain match up. I envision Emil as being an antagonist who would be far more sinister towards Peter than Norman Osborn, The Kingpin, or Dr. Octavius on a personal and emotional level.
    Abomination is a brute.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravin' Ray View Post
    Not even close. Emil's espionage skills are highly specialized, Kingpin's is more general, while Doom is an all-arounder. Not just in raw intelligence or knowledge, but in how each of the three apply that knowledge on a practical level.
    Emil's certainly not up there with Kingpin, and obviously not up there with Doctor Doom, but the card probably does rate him lower than it should.

They also rate him a 2 in speed, which isn't consistent with depictions of the character in the comics.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Emil's certainly not up there with Kingpin, and obviously not up there with Doctor Doom, but the card probably does rate him lower than it should.

They also rate him a 2 in speed, which isn't consistent with depictions of the character in the comics.
    pete's a 4 in the smartness department, at odds with the claims of genius on his behalf here recently.

As a spy before becoming the Abomination, Emil's intelligence was right up there with the big leagues. I blame this problem on the Hulk writers who never bothered to explore Emil's espionage background in depth. If they had, they would find that he's just as smart as Dr. Doom and The Kingpin. I do envision Emil as being a formidable foe of Spider-Man, who also knows that he's Peter Parker.
    You don't have to be a genius to become a spy, from a variety of Cold War era books I have read on the topic, most of the spies were just people with security clearance to something another nation wanted, and were bribed with wealth and other material objects.

Connecting Emil and Peter's backstories only serves to make things more confusing, while offering very little in return. (Basically just another rivalry, and both characters already have plenty of those.) Peter's birth parents were never an important part of his mythos, unlike his "real parents" Ben and May, who inspired him to do great things with his talents. Most fans here don't even seem to like the connection to the Red Skull, as it takes away from the "everyman" who just happened to gain super powers in a lab accident and makes him more of an "epic hero" who was always destined to fight evil, as his family did before him. Retconning the Abomination into his history would make it even more ridiculous.

But like I said, if you want a "hulkish" green skinned monster with pointy ears and genius intellect to fight Spidey, you have those back issues of "Ultimate Spider-Man."

Quote Originally Posted by boots View Post
    darthfury has a stamina of 10.
    Ha! So true!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vegeta View Post
    You don't have to be a genius to become a spy, from a variety of Cold War era books I have read on the topic, most of the spies were just people with security clearance to something another nation wanted, and were bribed with wealth and other material objects.

Connecting Emil and Peter's backstories only serves to make things more confusing, while offering very little in return. (Basically just another rivalry, and both characters already have plenty of those.) Peter's birth parents were never an important part of his mythos, unlike his "real parents" Ben and May, who inspired him to do great things with his talents. Most fans here don't even seem to like the connection to the Red Skull, as it takes away from the "everyman" who just happened to gain super powers in a lab accident and makes him more of an "epic hero" who was always destined to fight evil, as his family did before him. Retconning the Abomination into his history would make it even more ridiculous.

But like I said, if you want a "hulkish" green skinned monster with pointy ears and genius intellect to fight Spidey, you have those back issues of "Ultimate Spider-Man."

To use the Everyman term is to LIMIT the kinds of stories that can be told. And the Hulkish Green Goblin resides in the UU; not Earth-616. And while my idea is crazy, so was Superior Spider-Man with Dr. Ock's mind in the drivers seat. Believe it or not, Peter Parker was never the Everyman that Marvel makes him out to be. Otherwise, the same method could have been applied to all of the other Marvel characters as well like Jennifer Walters, for example.
    Last edited by Darthfury78; 05-06-2015 at 12:11 PM.

To use the Everyman term is to LIMIT the kinds of stories that can be told.
    "In literature and drama, the term everyman has come to mean an ordinary individual, with whom the audience or reader is supposed to be able to identify easily, and who is often placed in extraordinary circumstances."
    Nothing about the above (wiki) definition would limit the kinds of stories that can be told. Whereas tying every aspect of Pete's life, including his parentage, to evil super villains would make it less about an ordinary individual thrust into an extraordinary world and more about someone that was predestined from birth to vanquish evil. Look how many groans the Star Wars prequels got as it was revealed that Anakin not only sired Luke and Leia, but also built C-3p0 as a child. (Not to mention getting into a fist-fight with a young Greedo.) There's a point where it all starts to get implausible, even by comic book logic.

And while my idea is crazy, so was Superior Spider-Man with Dr. Ock's mind in the drivers seat.
    Superior didn't require a retcon of Peter and Richard Parker's back story and the random shoehorning in of a Hulk villain though. You might not notice it, but there is a difference.

Believe it or not, Peter Parker was never the Everyman that Marvel makes him out to be. Otherwise, the same method could have been applied to all of the other Marvel characters as well like Jennifer Walters, for example.
    I'm not sure what any of this means, but ok.

Quote Originally Posted by boots View Post
    pete's a 4 in the smartness department, at odds with the claims of genius on his behalf here recently.
    His IQ is supposed to be 260-something.

What the hell is a 6 on that scale?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Tuck View Post

Polymath!

Or a super-computer/Giant Alien Hivemind Brain.

Quote Originally Posted by cyberhubbs View Post
    Polymath!

Or a super-computer/Giant Alien Hivemind Brain.
    It's cuz he's a bad driver, isn't it?

All-New Member

I've been a long time lurker but this, and a lot of threads like this have me wondering what's with the obsession of clashing Spider-man and the Hulks (minus the Hulk) worlds together? Abomination.. being retconned so heavily to fit Peter's life is weird to me. I keep seeing mention of Jennifer Walters (human form). Why take her powers away? I am confused! I don't understand! Someone help! AHHH!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Rocu View Post
    I've been a long time lurker but this, and a lot of threads like this have me wondering what's with the obsession of clashing Spider-man and the Hulks (minus the Hulk) worlds together? Abomination.. being retconned so heavily to fit Peter's life is weird to me. I keep seeing mention of Jennifer Walters (human form). Why take her powers away? I am confused! I don't understand! Someone help! AHHH!!!
    Ask the OP. Those are all his things.

BANNED

It's cuz he's a bad driver, isn't it?
    That, and he's a Mets fan. We're not very smart.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Rocu View Post
    We're still trying to figure it all out.

260???? calm down comic book writers.