Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default If RNYV does not undo OMD...

...would you stop reading Spider-Man?

No. Because I want to see Peter get a proper, happy ending.

Anyone inclined to stop reading Spider-Man over OMD already has.

I could see some people who haven't read the books since OMD poking their heads in to read this and then not continuing afterward if it doesn't retcon it out. And even in that case, I see the chances of the marriage coming back as vanishingly small.

More like the other way around at this point . . . it would be somewhat pointless to change things now.

BANNED

Nah. But if it does, I'll still follow the book. It's not that big a deal-breaker.

BANNED

I truly don't know, but it does depend on whether or not Mephisto makes an appearance in the storyline. Still, I rather wait and see.

I mean I truly hope that Secret Wars ends with OMD gone and abolished for good.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cmbmool View Post
    I truly don't know, but it does depend on whether or not Mephisto makes an appearance in the storyline. Still, I rather wait and see.

I mean I truly hope that Secret Wars ends with OMD gone and abolished for good.
    It is possible that Mephisto could be a regent ( with Osborn as a surrogate) and pop up ? ( I hope not ( I still bet on It being Norm)). Despite the fact, I have long believed that RYV is the end for Peter Parker as an adult, and the only question is does he get wife and kid or just daughter? Before the reboot. That said, there is a way that RYV does not undo OMD. In fact, it can be worse. Here it is: If the "Charlie Brown kicking the football" never succeeding analogy that Slott used is accurate ( at least in his mind), then MJ dies ( Pete coming close to saving her ( see Gwen)), but unlike in ASM 122, Pete kills Osborn in cold blood. The choice becomes OMD or Pete as a murderer, either option dooms him to live in Hell forever. Do I think this will happen? No I do not ( because of the presence of Anna ( plus I think the reboot is coming)). But it can happen.
    Last edited by Steeler53; 04-28-2015 at 08:55 PM.

No because I honestly don't mind the status of Peter in the current MU. Kinda seems like a silly reason to stop reading if you haven't already.

Quote Originally Posted by LordUltimus View Post
    ...would you stop reading Spider-Man?
    No i would probably stop reading if they rebooted him down to High School because of the films. I have little interest in reading a High school peter parker and this of course could lead me to drop all of marvel because I have made it quite clear marvel = reboot = me out.
    Truth is the best policy

Quote Originally Posted by Liquid View Post
    No. Because I want to see Peter get a proper, happy ending.
    And if that never happens?

Amazing Member

For me, the biggest problem with OMD wasn’t that they got rid of the marriage. It was that it turned Spider-Man comics into a permanent What If?.

If they’d just got a divorce, that would’ve been fine with me. But it was just magicked away.

Ever since, we’ve been reading What If Peter Didn’t Marry MJ?.

The problem with this is that once you’re in a What If?, you can’t get out.

Even if the marriage was somehow brought back, it would just be a What If? inside a What If?.

In retrospect, I think OMD might have used to cleverly distract fans from the fact that henceforth Spidey’s story would not be a long-term tale of one man’s life. Instead, it would be a series of arbitrary, loosely connected scenarios. This helped to prepare for the ridiculous situation that some fans seem perfectly happy with any kind of rebooted situation as long it it features Peter married to MJ. People are actually discussing things like Gwen being alive or Peter being a 20-year-old as if they were perfectly acceptable things.

Quote Originally Posted by Coal Tiger View Post
    And if that never happens?
    considering the never ending story style of comics.... Id say he happily reads a story every month.

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

I already stopped reading Spider-Man after OMD.

RYV is merely Marvel's best chance to win me back if it reverses OMD. If it doesn't? I've gone seven years without Spider-Man books. I can easily go another seven.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

The good kind of noise SpiderOrange's Avatar

I dropped the book at the conclusion of Spider-Verse. Curiosity is bringing me back for Renew your Vows, but with solicitations that read "this is the most controversial Spider-Man story ever!!!" and "this is the last Spider-Man story", Marvel's hype machine has me feeling less than confident for a story that I will walk away from feeling happy or satisfied as a Spidey fan. Any suggestion that the marriage is returning is merely trolling the fans at this point since regardless of story quality or direction, most hardcore fans (i.e. me!!!) will still continue to support the title because it features Spidey and the return of the black suit. Post Secret Wars, I've seen nothing with Peter in it but Miles has been advertised a lot for Secret Wars and post Secret Wars stuff. I suspect somehow on Battleworld, the story to revolve around Peter's responsibility as a family man and Miles ascension as the main Spidey. But there's a lot of confusion as to what that means for OUR main 616 Spidey since the Spidey in RYV clearly isn't that one (see Spider-Verse #2 I think). (I'm sure stillanerd can articulate this point better than I). I guess the point is, because of that as well as the bigger Secret Wars story which still isn't very clear on what happens to our 616 folks (does 616 Spidey die after the incursion and so this other Spidey now takes over??!) the entire thing has left me a bit bitter. Less about the marriage but the execution of a lot of things, I think Renew your Vows and SW will be my last Marvel books for a few years regardless of how they turn out.
    "This. Right here. This is where my life officially jumped the shark." Miles Morales
    "No, that was back on Cowboy world", Ultimate Cartoon Spidey
    ASM Vol 3, #12

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard-01 View Post
    I already stopped reading Spider-Man after OMD.

RYV is merely Marvel's best chance to win me back if it reverses OMD. If it doesn't? I've gone seven years without Spider-Man books. I can easily go another seven.
    I agree. I don't need the marriage back, but I do demand the devil deal gone. If not, I may not come back.

Quote Originally Posted by esskay View Post
    For me, the biggest problem with OMD wasn’t that they got rid of the marriage. It was that it turned Spider-Man comics into a permanent What If?.
    Really good way of putting it.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 04-29-2015 at 06:06 AM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”