Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Hatred

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Hopkins View Post
    It's complete and utter crap. Smart of the devs to promote it with fake controversy, because they provably don't have the talent to succeed any other way.
    The controversy came from moral panic from game's media like kotaku, polygon, Eurogamer, etc. The developers just rolled with it as it was free marketing.

I'll pick up the game when it goes on sale. It looks fun in short bursts.

Quote Originally Posted by simbob4000 View Post
    It was more sites like Kotaku.
    In fairness the developers have put the emphasis in both the game and it's trailers killing random people and focussed on a protagonist muttering about people killing people with the developer themselves describing the game as a reaction to political correctness or some bullsh!t like that so whilst it is only controversial if there is a reaction you can't say there's no reason for it be deemed controversial.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by jump View Post
    In fairness the developers have put the emphasis in both the game and it's trailers killing random people and focussed on a protagonist muttering about people killing people with the developer themselves describing the game as a reaction to political correctness or some bullsh!t like that so whilst it is only controversial if there is a reaction you can't say there's no reason for it be deemed controversial.
    There isn't any reason to deem it controversial, there, I said it. A game where you kill random people, my word, what terror has befallen the vidja games. You would think people working as video games journalist would be aware of other video games. I would say in media beyond video games too, but the last few years have made me think maybe not. The moral outrage coming from some site as soon as the first trailer came out was hilarious. I bet if Rockstar came out with the exact same trailer for the exact same kind of thing they've be falling over themselves about how it was bold, and daring, and the most subversive thing to ever be made ever.

^Rockstar gets controversy too. Even if you do ignore the controversy the game has already actually caused by saying it's not controversial over and over again the developer themselves have said from the get go it's designed to provoke and cause controversy in some kind of statement of political correctness.

The argument to be made isn't that it's funny or it's not controversial, it's simply if you don't like it then don't play and freedom of speech.
    Last edited by jump; 06-02-2015 at 08:34 AM.

BANNED

Rockstar doesn't get the kind of controversy this game got. They got it from the outside, and that kind of thing hasn't really happened since Jack Thompson went away. This game got controversy from gaming sites and gamers acting like it would be the end of video games.

That's because the game isn't big or special enough to even warrant paying attention to in terms of both mass media or even the average gamer and rightfully so, at the end of the day it's an average indie game and not a big retail release.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    The controversy came from moral panic from game's media like kotaku, polygon, Eurogamer, etc. The developers just rolled with it as it was free marketing.

I'll pick up the game when it goes on sale. It looks fun in short bursts.
    No it didn't. The early reactions of course pointed out that it looked terrible and juvenile, but the level of pearl-clutching has been exaggerated. Here's a take from a Polygon editorial that just thinks it's kind of sad. Here's a Kotaku editorial that finds a silver lining in that Hatred makes one re-examine attitudes toward video game violence. No one panics and no one calls for it to be banned.

It was actually ginned up intentionally by the developers, and when the morons in GamerGate took it up as a cause after it was pulled off Steam Greenlight. GamerGate followers are by nature useful idiots for trolls, right wing hucksters and white supremacists, so they were a perfect market for this dev to exploit since it represents all three. They always positioned their game, right from its announcement, as a shot against the bow of political correctness and SJWs.

Which is one way to do it if you can't code and have no artistic talent. It looks like crap, plays like crap and is full of bugs.
    Last edited by Shawn Hopkins; 06-02-2015 at 08:38 AM.

No it didn't. The early reactions of course pointed out that it looked terrible and juvenile, but the level of pearl-clutching has been exaggerated. Here's a take from a Polygon editorial that just thinks it's kind of sad. Here's a Kotaku editorial that finds a silver lining in that Hatred makes one re-examine attitudes toward video game violence. No one panics and no one calls for it to be banned.

It was actually ginned up intentionally by the developers, and when the morons in GamerGate took it up as a cause after it was pulled off Steam Greenlight. GamerGate followers are by nature useful idiots for trolls, right wing hucksters and white supremacists, so they were a perfect market for this dev to exploit since it represents all three. They always positioned their game, right from its announcement, as a shot against the bow of political correctness and SJWs.

Which is one way to do it if you can't code and have no artistic talent. It looks like crap, plays like crap and is full of bugs.
    I read those articles when they were published. Reactions like those is what manufactured this controversy. If they truly felt that way then they shouldn't have given the game any press. It would have been ignored and not be on top of the steam sales charts right now.

It's initial pulling on Greenlight was bullcrap. They pull Hatred when they offer even more violent games are available on their service. What made Manhunt ok to sell but not Hatred. Thankfully Gabe himself resolved the issue. I'm glad for the this game's success. This and Protein World is showing that sticking it to SJWs makes for good business. Hopefully companies will stop pandering to obnoxious whiners that get offended by seemingly everything and demand things to be changed to cater to their taste.

As for the game itself, it looks average. It has impressive physics and destruction and the shooting looks run of the mill. I'll buy it on a sale.

BANNED

I read those articles when they were published. Reactions like those is what manufactured this controversy. If they truly felt that way then they shouldn't have given the game any press. It would have been ignored and not be on top of the steam sales charts right now.

It's initial pulling on Greenlight was bullcrap. They pull Hatred when they offer even more violent games are available on their service. What made Manhunt ok to sell but not Hatred. Thankfully Gabe himself resolved the issue. I'm glad for the this game's success. This and Protein World is showing that sticking it to SJWs makes for good business. Hopefully companies will stop pandering to obnoxious whiners that get offended by seemingly everything and demand things to be changed to cater to their taste.

As for the game itself, it looks average. It has impressive physics and destruction and the shooting looks run of the mill. I'll buy it on a sale.
    It shows that pandering to right-wing morons is good business. Hatred's developers set out to exploit this crowd from the start by making a game so terrible it would draw negative attention, positioned this turd as an attack on political correctness, fanned the flames of manufactured controversy, then profited from stupid people who paid good money (it's $20, pretty high for an isometric twin-stick shooter) for some eighth-grader's notebook sketches expressed in buggy code because they bought into this cynical con job. The final product doesn't even deliver on its promise of being shocking, it's just poorly made and depressing.
    Last edited by Shawn Hopkins; 06-02-2015 at 12:40 PM.

It shows that pandering to right-wing morons is good business. Hatred's developers set out to exploit this crowd from the start by making a game so terrible it would draw negative attention, positioned this turd as an attack on political correctness, fanned the flames of manufactured controversy, then profited from stupid people who paid good money (it's $20, pretty high for an isometric twin-stick shooter) for some eighth-grader's notebook sketches expressed in buggy code because they bought into this cynical con job. The final product doesn't even deliver on its promise of being shocking, it's just poorly made and depressing.
    Hatred never promised to be shocking. Sure it was created as an F-U to political correctness but I don't recall it's devs promising to shock with the game. Anyone who knows anything about games saw it as a spiritual successor to the original Postal and thought nothing of it. From the trailers it's level of violence wasn't any different from GTA. Gunning down innocent people isn't actually a new thing in games.

BANNED

Hatred never promised to be shocking. Sure it was created as an F-U to political correctness but I don't recall it's devs promising to shock with the game. Anyone who knows anything about games saw it as a spiritual successor to the original Postal and thought nothing of it. From the trailers it's level of violence wasn't any different from GTA. Gunning down innocent people isn't actually a new thing in games.
    The official site for the game touts, as its first feature, a "disturbing atmosphere of mass killing." And Polygon directly asked the developers whether they were using shock tactics to antagonize and get attention and this was the response.

http://www.polygon.com/2014/10/17/69...ygon-interview

Some people say it has a very "shock tactic" '90s vibe, and that it is derivative of Postal. What is your reaction to this?

"I'd say they have a lot of reasons to claim that. Especially that, as you can see, so called 'shock tactic' does its job very well and in fact we should thank all those haters out there for that. "

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by jump View Post
    That's because the game isn't big or special enough to even warrant paying attention to in terms of both mass media or even the average gamer and rightfully so, at the end of the day it's an average indie game and not a big retail release.
    The point was that GTA never got **** from games media like this game. The controversy Rockstar got was always from the outside; you didn't have guys like Computer Gaming World, PC Gamer, EGM, PC Accelerator, GameFan, GamePro, and Next Generation taking about how terrible GTA was for gaming.

The official site for the game touts, as its first feature, a "disturbing atmosphere of mass killing." And Polygon directly asked the developers whether they were using shock tactics to antagonize and get attention and this was the response.

http://www.polygon.com/2014/10/17/69...ygon-interview

Some people say it has a very "shock tactic" '90s vibe, and that it is derivative of Postal. What is your reaction to this?

"I'd say they have a lot of reasons to claim that. Especially that, as you can see, so called 'shock tactic' does its job very well and in fact we should thank all those haters out there for that. "
    All I'm reading is the developer just rolling with what people believe their game will be.

See this is what I don't understand, the game is being championed because it's provoking "SJW" or if you will "pandered" to the anti "SJW" types but then claimed it's not controversial even though the game has already caused controversy, it's being compared to other games that have also caused controversy and the developer openly admits it was set up to cause controversy. Even this thread meets proves it is the very definition of controversy "dispute, argument, or debate, esp one concerning a matter about which there is strong disagreement and esp one carried on in public or in the press".

Don't get me wrong I'm not condemning the game for it but at the end of the day it's seems too much like a cheap stunt to boost sales of an average game rather than an actual artistic statement on games. I do like the black & white graphics and it they had developed the gameplay and main character some more (it's like it's copied the dialogue from a serial killer from a rubbish cop show) I may have taken a punt on it but as it stands there so many more interesting indie games out there to play than something to get because it's FU to political correctness/SJW/Mums who read the Bible groups isn't enough for me.

Fantastic Member

SJW? Sassy Jehovah's Witnesses?