Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast
    Spectacular Member

Because art I guess?

Quote Originally Posted by The Celtic Batman View Post
    Amalgam Comics

Daft and a guilty pleasure!
    Amalgam comics... now there's an idea we need to see again. Other than few misses like Bat-Thing and Generation X those were some really creative fun books. It's a shame we never got a third wave of those things. I'd really like to see how they would have handled doing a massive event storyline.

Also, I don't understand how we got two issues of Magneto and the Magnetic Men and not a single Judgement League Avengers title.

Identity Crisis.

<ducks>

Yeah, Spider-Man pretending to be other superheroes was cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    Judgement League Avengers title.
    There were some really clever ideas with the JLA: amalgamating both Captain Marvels, Angelhawk as a covert JLXer (cos Angel used to pretend he wasn't a mutant in public), or amalgamating Hawkeye with Green Arrow but Hawkeye when he was Goliath. They had fun in that crossover!

I would have to say I like Fathom, at first glance it looks like a T & A fest, and yes there is a lot of fanservice, (There are a lot of shirtless men too) but its actually pretty well written and engaging.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChaoticScholar View Post
    The early Ninja Turtle stuff, so 80's it was too much. Crude art too. But I was raised on the cartoon and toys, so i can't hate it.
    The Mirage stuff? Ain't no shame in it. I'm not a huge fan of the early Eastman and Laird issues; they're rough, but there's an undeniable energy dripping from each page.

Have you read the later material, though? At a certain point it makes the transition from being lovably rough to being really intelligent and well done.

Quote Originally Posted by earl View Post
    I was out of comics when Spawn happened, but I saw and really liked the HBO cartoon and saw the movie in a dollar movie and thought it was ok.

I've been reading Spawn from the beginning (up to #64) and that is such a maddeningly inconsistent series. There will be issues and scenes that are interesting, then it goes into some just really dumb places. It could have used an editor going "do you really want to go there" to McFarlene. The spinoff series Curse of Spawn may be the worst comic series ever though, that comic infuriated me after just a couple of issues it's so terrible. That comic is just over the top willfully ugly.
    For me it's just that, despite being sooooo over-the-top and emblematic of the kinds of comics that could only have come from a period of about five years in the early '90s, there's an underlying sense of whimsy to the whole thing. Spawn has these moments where it almost feels like classic superhero comics. If any of the abominable founding Image characters could have hopped over to the DC universe and felt at home, it would have been him.
    Last edited by Cipher; 05-02-2014 at 10:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cipher View Post
    For me it's just that, despite being sooooo over-the-top and emblematic of the kinds of comics that could only have come from a period of about five years in the early '90s, there's an underlying sense of whimsy to the whole thing. Spawn has these moments where it almost feels like classic superhero comics. If any of the abominable founding Image characters could have hopped over to the DC universe and felt at home, it would have been him.
    Well, Spawn did crossover with Batman.
    Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

Chuck Austen's X-men

I readily admit to loving the crap out of this comic back in the 90s.

BANNED

I wanted to check Prime out as a kid but never got around to it, it came out as my interest for comics was dropping quickly. It was a cool concept though, that at the time was new to me. I believe there's been a handful of kid-turned-muscleman superheroes before though. But I got an Ultraverse preview book and the character seemed super cool at the time.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Cipher View Post
    The Mirage stuff? Ain't no shame in it.
    Not at all. I think the early Eastman and Laird stuff was awesome, and prefer that gritty 80's style illustration to any of the more cartoon influenced ones.

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Charles RB View Post
    Because I will admit it - I know objectively that it's bad and the old Life Of Reilly columns laid bare what a mess the planning had been and what's up with some of those costumes, but I read the Clone Saga when I was 12 and I still think of parts of it fondly. Ben Reilly, I still like him. JM DeMattias' two miniseries about Kaine and Ben (The Lost Years and that other one that I can't remember), I'd say were great even though they're nothing like the rest of the Spider-line at the time (probably because of it): stripped down takes on these two guys and their mess.

Maximum Clonage still had a dross ending. My 12-year-old self wasn't that dumb.
    I'll admit I found parts of the Clone Saga entertaining and me being a bit older than you, at least 18 at the time, I cant even claim age as a defense. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by GMiller View Post
    I have to say Marvel's Maverick and Quicksilver ongoings...I got teased a lot at the comic shop I worked at for collecting them...I was proud, however, to own both runs...Well, the 12 issues of Maverick and 13 issues (not including the Heroes For Hire/Quicksilver annual, which I also own) of Quicksilver....I actually thought Maverick was a really fun series....Still do...lol
    I bought these series too and I enjoyed them quite a bit and while I loved Quicksilver I wasn't a huge Maverick fan but I gave it a shot and found it enjoyable. So that's amazing for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Personamanx View Post
    I have a soft spot for Gen13 in general if that counts.
    I really enjoyed Gen 13. I know a lot of it was a 90's cheesecake fest but there was something so charming about the characters in the end.

I admit to enjoying X-Men Forever and although I do not find it horrible like many do I recognize that it isn't Claremont's best work and it faltered in places, yet I still like it anyway.

*Dodges stones*
    Last edited by From The Shadows; 05-03-2014 at 10:58 PM.

There are so many comics considered bad, but for a lot of them mentioned I have a soft spot. One that has not been mentiones is One more Day. I seriously can 't fathom all the hate around it, and I love Quesada's art

I think the most horrible one, to others, that I liked is Young X-Men. It was interesting the way the story developed, even though though it was obvious the Young X-Men were being misled.

The Ultimate Spider-Man MilesMorales's Avatar

One More Day. Although I, like most others, don't like Peter and MJ's marriage being retconned, I still really enjoyed reading OMD and thought it had a lot of emotional impact (especially when read directly following Civil War and Back in Black). I'm more fond of it now since I've grown used to the current status quo.