Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Dan Slott Interview with ComicVine for RYV

http://www.comicvine.com/videos/c2e2...an-/2300-2904/

There's two parts, but I think the second one will be about Surfer.

Either way interesting point from the video
    -Dan Slott says it's fun to write a MJ where there are no limits.
    -Says that cause of all the work Marvel did to undo the marriage Peter and MJ's relationship is stuck in a standstill cause it can't go any further.

Quote Originally Posted by Aruran. View Post
    http://www.comicvine.com/videos/c2e2...an-/2300-2904/

There's two parts, but I think the second one will be about Surfer.

Either way interesting point from the video
    -Dan Slott says it's fun to write a MJ where there are no limits.
    -Says that cause of all the work Marvel did to undo the marriage Peter and MJ's relationship is stuck in a standstill cause it can't go any further.
    Basically, so much was done to undo the marriage that they consider it dead. Sad when something is so forced to be a mandate that when its revealed to have all been a bad idea. They can't fix it even if they tried.
    Mooper Films

Cool to see him admit that readers knowing its the relationship that cant go anywhere is no fun. I would argue that for any future Spidey relationship due to OMD showing Marvel will just undo history if a relationship advances too far along for editorials liking.

Quote Originally Posted by Vortex85 View Post
    Cool to see him admit that readers knowing its the relationship that cant go anywhere is no fun.
    Not sure I'd call it an admission. He seems genuinely frustrated about the situation. (Which does seem funny since part of the reason for deleting the marriage was to give the writers more room to work.)

Amazing Member

I haven't really liked anything Mr Slott has written recently, BUT you can see he loves Spider-Man, he cares for the character.

Interested to see where he takes the relationship, even if it is in an alt universe. The mandate is definitely frustrating.

"Mary Jane without limits" sounds awesome and scary at the same time!
    Last edited by Confuzzled; 04-29-2015 at 09:58 AM.

Spectacular Member

Maybe now Marvel understands why OMD was such a bad idea.

Pete cant advance with MJ, but cant advance with anyone else either. Which means any relationship is doomed from the start. Which makes for awful comics.

In any event, good to see Dan at least acknowledge the issue.

I'm low key optimistic about this. It sounds like he'll write MJ alright. He can when he wants to.

OMD has left such a stink of the Spider-Man mythos that the only way they'll be able to be free of it is if they basically reboot Spidey and maybe put him back in high school like they've always wanted.

Quote Originally Posted by RedQueen View Post
    I'm low key optimistic about this. It sounds like he'll write MJ alright. He can when he wants to.

OMD has left such a stink of the Spider-Man mythos that the only way they'll be able to be free of it is if they basically reboot Spidey and maybe put him back in high school like they've always wanted.
    It's funny because the original plan for OMD WAS to take him back to the Lee/Romita college days with Pete/MJ/Gwen/Harry but they thought it was too much of a reboot... The fact that some people these days might actually prefer that just shows how much they screwed up with OMD...

Quote Originally Posted by Mooper Films View Post
    Basically, so much was done to undo the marriage that they consider it dead. Sad when something is so forced to be a mandate that when its revealed to have all been a bad idea. They can't fix it even if they tried.
    If its revealed to have been a bad idea, wouldnt the mandate be classified as bad and reversed. I think they havent revealed it as a "bad idea" yet

I wonder if something like Superior Spider-Man would have worked if they were still married?

Has there been any confirmation as to whether this is the actual previous continuity where OMD never happened (or, at least, Peter and MJ didn't make the deal with Mephisto)? Or is it a different alternate reality?

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet Spider-Man View Post
    Has there been any confirmation as to whether this is the actual previous continuity where OMD never happened (or, at least, Peter and MJ didn't make the deal with Mephisto)? Or is it a different alternate reality?
    It is an alternate reality. This married Peter Parker appeared briefly in Spider-Verse.

Quote Originally Posted by ShaggyB View Post
    If its revealed to have been a bad idea, wouldnt the mandate be classified as bad and reversed. I think they havent revealed it as a "bad idea" yet
    even if that happens, it can be complicated to flip flop again. but ultimately, a comic company can do what they want. dc brought back hal jordan and wiped away his sins, i’m sure they can bring a marriage back and do it well. if they want.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by boots View Post
    even if that happens, it can be complicated to flip flop again. but ultimately, a comic company can do what they want. dc brought back hal jordan and wiped away his sins, i’m sure they can bring a marriage back and do it well. if they want.
    The reality is Marvel does not want to bring back the marriage. They basically want him in HS and unable to have a real relationship not even Felicia Hardy qualifies. I wonder if they are going 'Spider-Gwen' and undoing ASM 121 as well? Pretty pathetic and I am finished after RYV. Congrats Marvel.