Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Spectacular Member

Slightly off topic, why did they decide to end the Carlie Cooper phase? Was the story as planned or was it a course correction due to fan disapproval? There was a lot of bitchin' and moaning' but she seemed to have some admirers on the message board. I never liked her but I was in full thrall of my OMD hate at the time. In retrospect, her introduction was probably as good as it could be although she seemed awful derivative of so much television procedurals. Plus, she was always drawn so unattractively. We had to believe that Peter was so messed up by Mary Jane that he swore off attractive women.

Is Slott inferring that the failure of his Carlie Cooper character was due to the popularity of Mary Jane?
    trying to be nicer

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Jay View Post
    Plus, she was always drawn so unattractively.
    She didn't really have a consistent look other than being brunette (which she wasn't in the last issue of OMD) and wearing glasses (and not even the same frames all the time).

I think the idea was she should be attractive, but not glamorous in any way . . . and that led to some weird interpretations.

These are people clearly not on the same page.
    Last edited by Tuck; 05-03-2015 at 11:02 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tuck View Post
    She didn't really have a consistent look other than being brunette (which she wasn't in the last issue of OMD) and wearing glasses (and not even the same frames all the time).

I think the idea was she should be attractive, but not glamorous in any way . . . and that led to some weird interpretations.

I think that Slott missed out on the opportunity to incorporate Jennifer Walters and Tigra(as part of the NYPD) in the pages of ASM. Those two might have made for a good transition for Carlie Cooper.

BANNED

In fairness, the top page is from...the Mysterioso arc? When she'd actually got her hair cut and mentions it in-story and was drawn as such until the end of BND. Then it went back to being long as of Big Time. I preferred the boy's cut. An under-represented haircut for females in comics because if it's not long then you must be a man or unattractive. Kinda a disgusting line of thinking.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Jay View Post
    Slightly off topic, why did they decide to end the Carlie Cooper phase? Was the story as planned or was it a course correction due to fan disapproval? There was a lot of bitchin' and moaning' but she seemed to have some admirers on the message board. I never liked her but I was in full thrall of my OMD hate at the time. In retrospect, her introduction was probably as good as it could be although she seemed awful derivative of so much television procedurals. Plus, she was always drawn so unattractively. We had to believe that Peter was so messed up by Mary Jane that he swore off attractive women.

Is Slott inferring that the failure of his Carlie Cooper character was due to the popularity of Mary Jane?
    There is another reason for Slott's hatred for the Spider's marriage.

Quote Originally Posted by cyberhubbs View Post
    In fairness, the top page is from...the Mysterioso arc? When she'd actually got her hair cut and mentions it in-story and was drawn as such until the end of BND. Then it went back to being long as of Big Time. I preferred the boy's cut. An under-represented haircut for females in comics because if it's not long then you must be a man or unattractive. Kinda a disgusting line of thinking.
    She's a stick, with no figure in the first one. She's overly endowed in the second (with the ridiculous tight NYPD T shirt).

BANNED

She's a stick, with no figure in the first one. She's overly endowed in the second (with the ridiculous tight NYPD T shirt).
    The first is also drawn by Marcos Martin, a guy who'd make Slender Man look too skinny. It's pretty much his default female physique. I still love his art.

I get what you're saying, but one is a stylized artist and the other guy whose style I can't recognize is clearly more of the buxom variety. Her usual physique is somewhere in the middle, a sort of Plain Jane if you will.
    Last edited by cyberhubbs; 05-03-2015 at 12:55 PM.

Speaking as someone who came in from SSM, Carlie's not that bad looking, even with short hair its kinda cute.
    Le Suck it, Dolphin!

-God I am so tired.

SCOTT SUMMERS AND EMMA FROST DESERVED BETTER.

Lively and Optimistic lone_wolf's Avatar

Lol, the pic you should have added was her first appearance. She was pretty much a platinum blonde. And this was at Harry's welcome back party where she was introduced for the first time. If anything, there's no consistency with her hair color, heh.

--Wolfie
    Visual Development and Storyboard Portfolio
    http://www.imxprs.com/free/wolfie74/mj

"Animators are actors with pencils"
    --Glen Keane

BANNED

Which was weird since at the time the early BND issues were well underway because of the three times a month schedule, so they were finished before the last issue of OMD hit the stands. Big reason they couldn't go with the JMS ending.

She was basically Norah Winters in the OMD back-up.
    Last edited by cyberhubbs; 05-04-2015 at 04:59 AM.