Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    BANNED

I take this as confirmation he won't be back with MJ after Secret Wars? Good

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    Just wait for Joe Quesada and company leave Marvel for other interests.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Aruran. View Post
    http://www.comicvine.com/videos/c2e2...an-/2300-2904/

There's two parts, but I think the second one will be about Surfer.

Either way interesting point from the video
    -Dan Slott says it's fun to write a MJ where there are no limits.
    -Says that cause of all the work Marvel did to undo the marriage Peter and MJ's relationship is stuck in a standstill cause it can't go any further.
    It all depends on how the writer handles the situation. I think that a better idea was for Peter to travel back in time to correct the error that he made when he revealed his secret to the world. Instead, he ends up around the time period where Felicia does not betray Peter to the Foreigner.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    Everything to do with Secret Wars is being revealed very carefully. There is really nothing to draw hard conclusions on. They're intentionally making it seem like anything is on the table. (Which is ultimately a good thing as a reader.)

BANNED

The marriage would be stuck on a stand still and compromise Spider-Man stories, how do you tell stories with the character no that he no longer has freestyle situations and adventure? the main aspect about Peter is how despite being an everyman, is still a wish fufillment character.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Tuck View Post
    Not sure I'd call it an admission. He seems genuinely frustrated about the situation. (Which does seem funny since part of the reason for deleting the marriage was to give the writers more room to work.)
    It's also ironic since Slott was one of the writers to write Spider-man and MJ post OMD.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by RedQueen View Post
    I'm low key optimistic about this. It sounds like he'll write MJ alright. He can when he wants to.

OMD has left such a stink of the Spider-Man mythos that the only way they'll be able to be free of it is if they basically reboot Spidey and maybe put him back in high school like they've always wanted.
    Either that or merge some Alternate Spider-men together to make a new Peter Parker.

Amazing Member

What if they just killed MJ off? I'm not liking the whole stand still relationship thing, it seems like he'll never move past this as a character as long as she's around the writers don't know what to do with her. Not saying it'll happen, but it's just one way for him to move on if he can't go back.

They tried to kill her off with the plane explosion.

Plus, they went through the inanity that was OMD because MJ's death and a divorce were non-starters.

Also have to consider that Marvel might actually be afraid to at this point. The likelihood of it being a disaster is probably high enough to stick with a problematic situation that they already understand.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by jimishim12 View Post
    The marriage would be stuck on a stand still and compromise Spider-Man stories, how do you tell stories with the character no that he no longer has freestyle situations and adventure? the main aspect about Peter is how despite being an everyman, is still a wish fufillment character.
    Funny. Because Dan said writing a Married MJ has "no limits". So which status quo compromises Spidey stories...the one where relationships cant advance...or one where there are no limitations and featuring the marriage...

Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ShaggyB View Post
    If its revealed to have been a bad idea, wouldnt the mandate be classified as bad and reversed. I think they havent revealed it as a "bad idea" yet
    I think it's more of a Catch-22 of the situation; a single Spider-Man creates less baggage for the character, but at the same time, by going about retconing the marriage the way Marvel did, they revealed the "glass ceiling" to any relationship with the character. It's hard to get invested in a relation Peter could have with another character when Marvel has already drawn the line with how far they'd commit to it.
    Last edited by CrimsonEchidna; 04-30-2015 at 11:52 AM.
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonEchidna View Post
    I don't think it's so much that as it is they realized the Catch-22 of the situation; a Single Spider-Man creates less baggage for the character but they also opened the can of worms where readers are now aware of the glass ceiling to Peter's relationships.
    Which I think is a stupid idea. Marvel doesn't have to worry about Peter's relationships. All they have to do is re-establish his relationship with Betty Brant and Felicia Hardy respectively. Then focus on outside characters like The Black Widow, Jessica Drew, Greer Grant, and Jennifer Walters respectively.

Personally, I thought Dan Slott just acknowledged the biggest flaw of OMD was losing MJ as a supporting character.
    Because really what he meant was,
    you can't use MJ without the relationship furthering along, and he has stated in other interviews that no one else can stand next to MJ when a new character is made.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Aruran. View Post
    Personally, I thought Dan Slott just acknowledged the biggest flaw of OMD was losing MJ as a supporting character.
    Because really what he meant was,
    you can't use MJ without the relationship furthering along, and he has stated in other interviews that no one else can stand next to MJ when a new character is made.
    He could have used an existing character like Betty Brant or Felicia Hardy as a love interest once again because they COULD stand next to Mary Jane. But he chose not to. If his creation like Carlie Cooper and Cindy Moon was not well received as love interest for Peter, nothing will. Of course, he could have used Jennifer Walters or Greer Grant, who are super heroines with a normal day job. But he doesn't like the idea of Peter being in a relationship with a heroine. So the limitations as to who Peter should be with rests solely on the writer and no one else.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Darthfury78 View Post
    He could have used an existing character like Betty Brant or Felicia Hardy as a love interest once again because they COULD stand next to Mary Jane. But he chose not to. If his creation like Carlie Cooper and Cindy Moon was not well received as love interest for Peter, nothing will. Of course, he could have used Jennifer Walters or Greer Grant, who are super heroines with a normal day job. But he doesn't like the idea of Peter being in a relationship with a heroine. So the limitations as to who Peter should be with rests solely on the writer and no one else.
    No, they cant. Pete wont be marrying anyone. He wont be getting engaged either. He cant even date anyone for a "long" time, because it cannot compare to MJ.

The limitations exist because of OMD. Had Peter divorced, he could have "moved on". But OMD clarifies that MJ and Pete were meant for each other, so much so that the devil wanted their marriage...(bah)....

Felicia also had her shot. And it failed.