Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default Johns & Fabok Say Wonder Woman Leads The Charge In "Darkseid War"

"Justice League's" Geoff Johns and Jason Fabok tell CBR why the Darkseid Vs. Anti-Monitor clash is bigger and deeper than anyone ever expected.

Full article here.

Anyway, this sounds pretty cool.

Apparently the real action is in Justice League, while the whole Convergence stuff is just a distraction?

I took a quick look at that, and just as quickly got out again, could not get into the story at all, but this seems much more approachable.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by yet another View Post
    Anyway, this sounds pretty cool.

Apparently the real action is in Justice League, while the whole Convergence stuff is just a distraction?

I took a quick look at that, and just as quickly got out again, could not get into the story at all, but this seems much more approachable.
    I'm trying to force my way through Convergence. It isn't easy. Some of the tie-ins are really good, but the main story is going nowhere fast.

I will believe it if I see Wonder Woman cut up both Mobius and Darkseid into tiny pieces.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by colonyofcells View Post
    I will believe it if I see Wonder Woman cut up both Mobius and Darkseid into tiny pieces.
    Wonder Woman owes Mobius one for blasting her into retcon mode a few decades ago.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Im excited about Mr. Miracle. Hopefully Orion has a role in this too.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    Im excited about Mr. Miracle. Hopefully Orion has a role in this too.
    Hope Orion will show up.

I'm very excited with WW leading JL on this event

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Great artwork but no real thought put into how these characters fight (I'm guessing that's the scripts fault). Batman, for instance, would not be amidst the hordes- brawling. He'd be doing tactical, or in his plane. Superman, Aquaman, and Wonder Woman would be in the center of it all. The Flash would be ground control, getting civilians out of the way. Green Lantern would provide cover fire.

Seems like a minor nitpick, but read Morrison's JLA and see how he handles the fights.

Astonishing Member The_Greatest_Username's Avatar

It's pretty cool that Wonder Woman is going to be leading them. I'll add Justice League back to my pull list, at least for this.

So every month it's an event just to see this book.
    This is what I think the Justice League book should be. It's the biggest characters with the company's top writer, it SHOULD be essentially an event-level book every issue.

I think Justice League has been much improved in the New 52 over where it was beforehand: mawkish under Meltzer, editorially driven under McDuffie, a shell of itself under Robinson. They've definitely gotten back the "this book matters" feel. The roster is perfect, Johns has enough freedom to do what he wants, and it feels like they're generally moving forward. But there's been a few things holding the book back from really working 100%. Characterization and dialogue was pretty poor during the Jim Lee run, especially for Wonder Woman, Superman, and the villains. The Reis run started well ("Throne of Atlantis" is probably the title's best arc thus far) but got diverted too many times with the rushed Trinity War and very lackluster Forever Evil tie-ins. Mahnke is a good storyteller but I've never really liked his art for a big time superhero book; I find his characters to often look kind of ugly. Fabok has the Jim Lee pinup poster skills, but doesn't come off as too trendy and is able to hit deadlines without sacrificing quality. DC seems past its rushed events and if the prologue is any indication, Johns will be taking the New Gods more seriously than he did in the first arc where they came off as kind of a joke. It looks like this title is finally going to reach its potential.

I am all for Wonder Woman as leader, too. Johns seemed to have a lot of trouble writing her early on in the book, where she came off as the token girl on the team. Pushing her to the top should address that.
    Image Comics (TPB):
    Saga, Southern Bastards, Injection, Descender, Deadly Class, Chew, Black Magick

DC Rebirth (Digital):
    The Flash, Batman, Green Lanterns, Aquaman

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Event "minis" aren't needed when the BIG EVENTS could solely be housed in the JUSTICE LEAGUE title where they belong.

Astonishing Member

Not only should Justice League be an event level story every month, thereby making it unnecessary to have a ton of big crisis-level "event comic" crossovers ... historically speaking it pays dividends.

Sixties era (volume 1) Justice League mostly featured massive level threats, and had a multiverse crossover "crisis" annually for like 20 years. Which were often two-parters or three-parters. Event-level, particularly for the time.

Nineties era (Morrison & Waid's JLA) every story was definitely event-scale, though they pulled back here and there for a shorter one or two part bookend. But for the most part, each arc was huge stakes cosmic stuff.

Ostensibly they're the most popular eras of Justice Leaguing with JLI only coming close because of its commitment to being the first League book that went in the opposite direction. The current Johns League is definitely pretty event-level storytelling, in a way where huge high stakes chapters feed into a larger event-level narrative, pretty much obviously exactly like his Lantern run did, where Sinestro Corps War and Blackest Night spilled out into the whole DCU.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

With Grail being revealed as the Anti-Monitor's partner this time around, I wonder if symbolically Wonder Woman will kinda have to fight as an uneasy ally with Darkseid.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    Great artwork but no real thought put into how these characters fight (I'm guessing that's the scripts fault). Batman, for instance, would not be amidst the hordes- brawling. He'd be doing tactical, or in his plane. Superman, Aquaman, and Wonder Woman would be in the center of it all. The Flash would be ground control, getting civilians out of the way. Green Lantern would provide cover fire.

Seems like a minor nitpick, but read Morrison's JLA and see how he handles the fights.
    Batman has the Hellbat armor

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    With Grail being revealed as the Anti-Monitor's partner this time around, I wonder if symbolically Wonder Woman will kinda have to fight as an uneasy ally with Darkseid.
    It's unclear at this point whether the Anti-Monitor or Darkseid is the lesser of two evils this time around.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014