Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by AcesX1X View Post
    let's dial it back on the personal insults and focus on the story, yes?
    It's a joke. It's a line from Billy Madison.

I just think that saying an android can't have a soul is kind of silly. If you're willing to accept that there is an android who can burst into flames and fly around and answers to the name Jim, then is the idea that Jim can have a soul really so crazy?

Not only is this question a staple of sci-fi, examined through many stories by many writers, but calling it the "height of pro-AI propaganda" implies that's some kind of movement that really exists. No one is pushing a pro-AI agenda.

So sorry if my joke didn't work for you, but your stance is a bit untenable.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hawkeyefan View Post
    It's a joke. It's a line from Billy Madison.

I just think that saying an android can't have a soul is kind of silly. If you're willing to accept that there is an android who can burst into flames and fly around and answers to the name Jim, then is the idea that Jim can have a soul really so crazy?

Not only is this question a staple of sci-fi, examined through many stories by many writers, but calling it the "height of pro-AI propaganda" implies that's some kind of movement that really exists. No one is pushing a pro-AI agenda.

So sorry if my joke didn't work for you, but your stance is a bit untenable.
    Totally agreed. Let's just blame it all Gepetto tinkering around with Pinnochio

Quote Originally Posted by Crimz View Post
    My favourite has to be Ben's story. It was a nice little story.

Also how old were Johnny and Sue during the accident? In the picture of them they looked really young.
    Sue was a bit older and already living on her own. Johnny was in high school. Later on in the Lee/Kirby run he goes to college and meetins Wyatt Wingfoot, another character I'm glad Robinson at least shows us is around.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    Totally agreed. Let's just blame it all Gepetto tinkering around with Pinnochio
    Yeah, that's one of the stories I was thinking of. So many others, too.

I didn't mean to sidetrack the thread...I haven't been reading but I may check this out. But is there an "ending" to things here? Or is it just the end of this run and Secret Wars is looming?

it is by far not a standard line of thinking. even the world's greatest scientists have warned us of the danger in AI. the moment we start humanizing them is the downfall of our civilization.

Quote Originally Posted by hawkeyefan View Post
    Yeah, that's one of the stories I was thinking of. So many others, too.

I didn't mean to sidetrack the thread...I haven't been reading but I may check this out. But is there an "ending" to things here? Or is it just the end of this run and Secret Wars is looming?
    This storyline ended but it was more like a renewal at the end. The family had previously been a fragmented with Ben being in jail, Val going off to live with her Uncle Doom for a while, Johnny trying to be a rock star and so forth. I liked this run but I just think the Quiet Man was a bit weak. Maybe his chameleon like nature worked against the character really developing as a distinct character. He really seemed even more petty than Doom to me when you find out what his main gripe is with Reed.

it is by far not a standard line of thinking. even the world's greatest scientists have warned us of the danger in AI. the moment we start humanizing them is the downfall of our civilization.
    In some stories, perhaps, and according to some scientists in the real world. In a fantasy setting like this, that doesn't have to be the case, though. Just like gamma radiation can grant superpowers or a genetic mutation can grant someone control over the weather. An android can have a soul.

This storyline ended but it was more like a renewal at the end. The family had previously been a fragmented with Ben being in jail, Val going off to live with her Uncle Doom for a while, Johnny trying to be a rock star and so forth. I liked this run but I just think the Quiet Man was a bit weak. Maybe his chameleon like nature worked against the character really developing as a distinct character. He really seemed even more petty than Doom to me when you find out what his main gripe is with Reed.
    Okay, thanks, Iron Maiden. Some of the stuff I've read about this run sounds really good, and I like Robinson. I may have to check it out. I was curious oft he team was broken up at the end or some such, just based on all the speculation from months back.

Take Me Higher The Negative Zone's Avatar
    Earth. (Unless I've been kidnapped by Skrulls)

Mankind still has problems with recognizing rights of their fellow man. There is no way we're going to start humanizing robots.

BANNED

Robots are great, I love robots.

I really liked the Avengers AI comic...and I miss Doombot

I really liked the Avengers AI comic...and I miss Doombot
    Doombot....deserves his own comic.

Quote Originally Posted by The Negative Zone View Post
    Mankind still has problems with recognizing rights of their fellow man. There is no way we're going to start humanizing robots.
    it seriously disturbs me to see hollywood putting so much AI in their films these days trying to convince us to love these things.

chappie was the worst of the propaganda this year. but then consider prometheus and interstellar humanizing them as well, trying to get the audience to sympatize.

and with vision set to make his debut alongside ultron this weekend, i fear it will only get worse.

not to mention star wars, one of the most-prominent of the offenders, returning this christmas.

BANNED

We already love robots. Obey your robot masters!

it seriously disturbs me to see hollywood putting so much AI in their films these days trying to convince us to love these things.

chappie was the worst of the propaganda this year. but then consider prometheus and interstellar humanizing them as well, trying to get the audience to sympatize.

and with vision set to make his debut alongside ultron this weekend, i fear it will only get worse.

not to mention star wars, one of the most-prominent of the offenders, returning this christmas.
    Stop being a robotophobe dude. You're stereotyping robots.

Quote Originally Posted by The Negative Zone View Post
    Doombot....deserves his own comic.
    Seconded !!