Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Should the next run be less "big"?

So Snyders run is all about major events happening and every arc by him feels like it's going to change something. By doing this I feel he's spoiling the quality of those big event stories, especially when they happen to bats every other week.

I think the next writer, who ever it will be, should tone down the scale of the story arcs and have the book work a little less on the large scale.

What do you think?

Boing Boing Baggies. Baggie_Saiyan's Avatar

Ehh not really, I mean we have 'Tec for the less crazy Batman stories, so having one bat-book keeping on being crazy sounds good to me.
    "Yes...Mondo Cool"- Vegeta.

Overall I've like the big bombastic story arcs of current Batman, but a return to the tight three-issue arcs of Snyder's Detective Comics would be grand.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dispenser Of Truth View Post
    There's a universe where everything is Luchadores.

I WANT TO GO TO THE UNIVERSE WHERE EVERYTHING IS LUCHADORES.

No way. Even if they fall flat on their face i think creators should be trying for big exciting stories that feel like they're going to change something, or at least give off the illusion that are or could. Besides they have 'Tec for the toned downed scale story arcs.

Fantastic Member DeathFalcon182's Avatar

I mean so was Morrison and his arcs. Detective Comics always tell us less crazy stuff so take your pick.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sharkey View Post
    Overall I've like the big bombastic story arcs of current Batman, but a return to the tight three-issue arcs of Snyder's Detective Comics would be grand.
    I've really liked what Snyder has done so far (minus Zero Year, which I ignore), but now I do hunger for Snyder doing tighter shorter arcs of less big scale. And no, I don't want another writer doing them, I want Scott Snyder & Greg doing them.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

CBR got me like.. Maxpower00044's Avatar

No, that's what the other books are for.
    "The more 'realistic' superheroes become the less believable they are." - David Mazzucchelli

I haven't checked out much of the new 52 Dectective Comics, so I'll probably add it to my pull list post convergence. Thanks for the suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    I do hunger for Snyder doing tighter shorter arcs of less big scale. And no, I don't want another writer doing them, I want Scott Snyder & Greg doing them.
    Same here. I'd love to see them tackle something at the Black Mirror level, more grounded and human, small scale but creepy and nasty and as screw-turning as they like.

Having said that, while for me it comes a little too close in elapsed years to Final Crisis/RIP, in some ways I prefer this "death" to the big scale event-driven one that had Batman face off with Darkseid. This is one obsessed man fighting for his city against one warped and crazy man who wants to burn it all down, and I find that level a lot easier to relate to.

CBR got me like.. Maxpower00044's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Liquid View Post
    I haven't checked out much of the new 52 Dectective Comics, so I'll probably add it to my pull list post convergence. Thanks for the suggestion.
    Tec is hit or miss (mostly the Daniel stuff in the beginning is terrible) but it's definitely the smaller scale you're looking for.

Batman & Robin is a more personal Father/Son journey that is also hit or miss (more hit, for me), but has less big stories.
    "The more 'realistic' superheroes become the less believable they are." - David Mazzucchelli

BANNED

Maybe. I've loved Snyder's run. But it might be good to get some time to breath, less big stories at least for a while

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jules View Post
    Same here. I'd love to see them tackle something at the Black Mirror level, more grounded and human, small scale but creepy and nasty and as screw-turning as they like.
    I'd really love it if Snyder and Cap would tackle something like that and keep at it for a bit. I could really get into a story like that one and it would be the only way that they will keep me buying monthly. Right now I'm a bit tired of the long arcs and the "epic, game changing" stories that Snyder has been doing since the reboot so I'm going to trade wait on the rest of his run at least for a time. I'm enjoying 'Tec far more these days so that's where I'll be getting my monthly Batman fix for the foreseeable future.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

The Dark Knight

I personally would like to see smaller story arches with some under used villans such as tweedle dee and tweedle dumb and manbat. I sort of miss these types of stories.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dark Knight View Post
    I personally would like to see smaller story arches with some under used villans such as tweedle dee and tweedle dumb and manbat. I sort of miss these types of stories.
    Agreed. I've been spoiled by Grayson, with all its done-in-one stories. Now I've remembered how much I enjoyed them, back in the days when everything wasn't written for the trade but for the length the story actually needed to tell it.

Danger Doll in pink! Chickfighter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Liquid View Post
    So Snyders run is all about major events happening and every arc by him feels like it's going to change something. By doing this I feel he's spoiling the quality of those big event stories, especially when they happen to bats every other week.

I think the next writer, who ever it will be, should tone down the scale of the story arcs and have the book work a little less on the large scale.

What do you think?
    I think this thread gives you your answer. Too large a portion of the core audience wants every arc to aspire to be the greatest, most important Batman story ever told for simple understated good solid stories to be enough. I don't know that it is necessarily the writers' choice, but simply the perception that the audience demands that everything be overblown all the time. But then that's not really new. They are comics after all.

My own opinion is that most comics would benefit from more personal concise stories that wrap in one, two or no more than three issues.
    Last edited by Chickfighter; 04-29-2015 at 03:20 PM.