Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Default Superman 40 DISCUSSION/SPOILERS

Thought this was fun, light, sweet.

First, lets just get this out of the way; Dean White on colors makes the art look entirely new, and entirely better. There is literally no comparison; this is a far better, more polished product. DC made entirely the right move, one I suspect was driven by JRJr.

The story itself wasn't dire and there were some undoubtedly awkward bits - the mark of a new writer - but everyone was very human, and you got the sense that the league was an actual group of friends, which hasn't been felt since before the New 52 reboot. It felt comfortable. The interactions were fun, and funny, and clever.

It's the kind of dynamic I think the JL proper could do with more of. The sense that these guys knew and trusted each other, and could have a little bit of fun even as they adventured. Morrison's JLA had it in healthy amounts, despite the world-ending cataclysm and so on.

The actual plot was simple and yet somehow a little muddled - I'm still not completely sure what they're trying to say about his powers long-term or precisely what the new status quo is - but fine.

It was a character piece, and a good one, and probably what Superman needed right now. A reason to like him, as a person.

Anyone who is familiar with GLY's work will know that this, more than anything, is what we can hope for and expect from his upcoming run. I don't expect a lot of really great big ideas or science fiction mechanisms. I don't expect that he'll create many lasting villains, or that we'll have Superman's biggest adventure as part of this run (I'm open to those things, but I'm not expecting it). Rather, I think we'll get a focus on who Superman/Clark Kent/Kal El is, what he struggles with, and his search for grace and dignity through those struggles.

Should be a fun ride.

DC needs more done-in-one stories such as these. I would call it the equivalent to a pharmacological drug holiday. You just get numb from too many consecutive continuity-heavy stories.

It's not a great story, but I just appreciated it for the humor value. I'm not all that enthralled by Super flare, and JRJR's art isn't the most appealing to me, but I laughed. Bruce had to burn a few seat covers on his jet, and Clark gets drunk from one light beer.

Spadassin Extraordinaire Auguste Dupin's Avatar

I think I might like Romita alone better than Romita with Johns, actually. It was a fun little story that didn't take itself very seriously. But yeah, it was fun t have the JL as a group of pals, hanging out in bars and stuff. And I feel his Superman actually has more personality than Johns', without feeling out of place: the relaxed behaviour, the lame puns that actually are acknowledged as lame....
    The ending implies that it may have consequences after all (mostly those we expect), though.
    So, basically, a nice little fun.
    Hold those chains, Clark Kent
    Bear the weight on your shoulders
    Stand firm. Take the pain.

BANNED

Super Flatus!

I don't like it, but I'm ok with it if it leads to Clark learning to control what energies his body absorbs or not. Byrne seemed to be going in that direction at the beggining of Man of Steel (He was able to absorb Rampage's energy) but this was forgotten and Supes only gained increased immunity with time. Kryptonite and red sun have to go.

Kryptonite should just be an incredible energy source that can be use to make incredible weapons to hurt Superman. Red sun just has to go. Learning to control his energies is the best way to stop all this crap that no other high level character suffers anymore.

EDIT: This capacity has been possible the moment Supes gained heat vision. If he can control when to emit energy, then he can control when to absorb it.
    Last edited by dumbduck; 04-29-2015 at 11:33 AM.

Fantastic Member

Does Lois find out in this issue?

No. However, at the end of the issue she just happens to notice something peculiar about Clark, mostly that his face looks like he got beaten up, just like the images of Superman from the previous night circulating around the internet and TV media.

Astonishing Member

Oh well, who would have ever said that to really enjoy Romita's Superman we should have waited for Johns to leave the title.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dangleo61288 View Post
    Does Lois find out in this issue?
    It's hinted at.

Who knew Romita could write such a fun story? I was chuckling a lot. And his art definitely went up a gear. Is it him or the inks and colors, I don't know but it looked so much better!! The exploration of these new power and consequence is interesting (but for me only long enough for Clark to explore what it feels like as "human" and connect better to what people feel. Don't want this indefinite...I like a powerful Supes) Clark is so funny and cute. There needs to be more Justice League just hanging together like this. Team felt like a team who like each other and the Clark/Bruce bromance always nice to see Bruce written like the older brother looking out for him. And Aquaman covering Diana's eyes in jest...and her moving it away to take a look at thee super goods.. Clark's overall attitude is cool too. Not whiny and sitting around but proactive about trying to figure it out etc is good to see and still trying to make the difference. Wouldn't be averse to him doing another issue if it can be this fun.
    Last edited by hellacre; 04-29-2015 at 12:57 PM.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

I enjoyed this joint quite a bit.

JRjr also draws a pretty cool Aquaman. Something I didn't think I'd ever get to see.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Agreed with everyone else. A nice pallete cleanse before the next "event."

JrJr is actually a pretty fair writer. He isn't Greg Pak quality, but Superman could do worse, and he has (Lobdell).

I REALLY wish we had another few issues of these "done in one" tales like this one #39 and ACTION #40.In fact, i'd love for just one year, both SUPERMAN and ACTION focus on these little bite sized stories, 24 issues of just solid consistent stories. Hell, I'd settle for 6 months of ACTION and SUPERMAN in that direction. I can't remember a time we've had even two or three months of "done in one" Superman comics. (mid 90's perhaps?)

I hope once this upcoming story wraps in 10 months or so we get a break from all this "event" crap and have Pak and Yang or JRJR Break away and do some complete 22 page stories with beginnings, middles and ends, without it having to "continue next issue!" every darned month.

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

This was ok. Writing and characterization was dicey at best, but nothing egregiously wrong here. Like Deniz, I enjoyed the implied group dynamic of the League.
    Buh-bye

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post

JrJr is actually a pretty fair writer. He isn't Greg Pak quality, but Superman could do worse, and he has (Lobdell).

I REALLY wish we had another few issues of these "done in one" tales like this one #39 and ACTION #40.In fact, i'd love for just one year, both SUPERMAN and ACTION focus on these little bite sized stories, 24 issues of just solid consistent stories. Hell, I'd settle for 6 months of ACTION and SUPERMAN in that direction. I can't remember a time we've had even two or three months of "done in one" Superman comics. (mid 90's perhaps?)

I hope once this upcoming story wraps in 10 months or so we get a break from all this "event" crap and have Pak and Yang or JRJR Break away and do some complete 22 page stories with beginnings, middles and ends, without it having to "continue next issue!" every darned month.
    I've come to think that done-in-ones might be the best method of storytelling for Superman. It's hard to get audiences to invest in the character; his rise from the 00's low has been rocky, and the character has struggled against the perception of being out-dated for decades. But I've noticed that more people seem willing to drop a few bucks on a single issue, because it's still Superman. But its the long, drawn out story lines and continuity-heavy arcs that seem to push readers away. Single issue stories that utilize long-running subplots might be the way to go. The main plot can have a beginning and conclusion, but the subplots are what will keep people coming back. Rather than six issues of Superman fighting Mongul, it's one issue of Superman fighting Mongul, five issues of him doing other things, but the subplot of whether or not Clark is able to run an article that brings down a corrupt businessman, and his struggles there, are what might catch a reader's eye.

Anyway, I look forward to the issue. Gonna be a bit before I can get my hands on it, sadly, thanks to work schedules. But people here I trust are saying its decent. So hooray!
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

BANNED

I couldn't finish the comic.

Batman's dialogue was horrible (sounded nothing like him), the art was the usual crap, and worst of all, Superman was written inconsistently with his New 52 and earlier incarnations.

He says something to the effect of "I've never felt human." That's bullshit. He was raised human and didn't have a context for feeling any other way even when his powers showed up.

Romita Jr. said he didn't know anything about Superman and never read any Superman comics, even when he got the job. Yet he gets to write an issue about what Superman feels and thinks?

DC continues to crap on the first and greatest of the superheroes.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post

Yeah, me too. ACTION COMICS has been in such a constant "event mode" that it has rendered itself unreadable, for me.