Super Moderator

Default CONVERSATIONS OF CONVERGENCE: DiDio & Rucka Talk World-Building, "52" Weekly & More

DC Co-Publisher Dan DiDio and Eisner Award-winning writer Greg Rucka discuss "Infinite Crisis," the emergence of DC weekly series and more.

Full article here.

I never cared that Wonder Woman killed Max. It's still hard for me to accept that Max Lord was evil. We never got an out, like it was Kilg%re or Despero, something that proved the old Max was still out there. Self serving corporate schmuck, yes. Wanting to murder metahumans, no.

Quote Originally Posted by ThePinkPeril View Post
    I never cared that Wonder Woman killed Max. It's still hard for me to accept that Max Lord was evil. We never got an out, like it was Kilg%re or Despero, something that proved the old Max was still out there. Self serving corporate schmuck, yes. Wanting to murder metahumans, no.
    When you take control of Superman's mind and refuse to let go you have to be killed.
    The Gypsies had no home. The Doors had no bass.

Does our reality determine our fiction or does our fiction determine our reality?

Whenever the question comes up about who some mysterious person is or who is behind something the answer will always be Frank Stallone.

"This isn't a locking the barn doors after the horses ran way situation this is a burn the barn down after the horses ran away situation."

Astonishing Member

It was a fine article and decent interview and all, but what I took away from this?

DiDio and Rucka are doing press together, now? Seriously, how long before we get that book announcement?
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

I always considered Max Lord as a cross between Donald Trump and Bruce Wayne.
    And they had already dealt with Max Lord's earlier manipulations in their first year and revealed he really had a good heart and meant well.

For me, the JLI members and their world splintered off from the DCUniverse after JLA #60 and JLE #36, aside from the Super Buddies minis, the DC Retroactive and JL3000/3001.

That means that the Sue Dibny that was raped and killed in Identity Crisis was not the same Sue from JLE, the Blue Beetle that was killed in Infinite Crisis was not the same Blue Beetle from JLI.
    The other JLI characters who have been killed off, including Crimson Fox and Rocket Red were not the same ones.
    And the Max Lord who made Wonder Woman kill him was not the same Max Lord we saw shape the League into an international team in 1987.
    Oh and Booster avoided the terrible football player looking armor that he had.
    Last edited by Lee Stone; 04-29-2015 at 05:35 PM.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Hmmm... I'm not sure I buy into Didio's excuse for "One Year Later" being a mess.

Blaming the creative teams for being too focused on wrapping up their old stories? Really? Most of the damage was done to books that had new teams taking over after the jump...
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

So, when are we getting a reprint of Rucka's amazing Wonder Woman run? Because seriously. You reprint Gotham Central, you reprint Brubaker's Catwoman, you reprint the old freaking Harley Quinn series that no-one was really asking for.. Where's a set of trades of the best Wonder Woman run since Perez?

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

I already have the original oop trades (and the singles), but I'd triple dip Rucka's run for some Deluxe Editions.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    I always considered Max Lord as a cross between Donald Trump and Bruce Wayne.
    And they had already dealt with Max Lord's earlier manipulations in their first year and revealed he really had a good heart and meant well.

For me, the JLI members and their world splintered off from the DCUniverse after JLA #60 and JLE #36, aside from the Super Buddies minis, the DC Retroactive and JL3000/3001.

That means that the Sue Dibny that was raped and killed in Identity Crisis was not the same Sue from JLE, the Blue Beetle that was killed in Infinite Crisis was not the same Blue Beetle from JLI.
    The other JLI characters who have been killed off, including Crimson Fox and Rocket Red were not the same ones.
    And the Max Lord who made Wonder Woman kill him was not the same Max Lord we saw shape the League into an international team in 1987.
    Oh and Booster avoided the terrible football player looking armor that he had.
    But wasn't Booster a football player?

I'm quite sympathetic to the notion that something (a particularly powerful Prime Punch?) hit the DCU in the 2002–2003 publishing timeframe, and that the DCU we read about going forward from that point was a different DCU than we had been reading about up to then. My own focus is less on the JLI/E stuff and more on the Titans/YJ and Superman stuff; but it's all pieces of a larger picture.
    Rogue wears rouge.
    Angel knows all the angles.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Rucka
    Rucka: She is from a world where there are monsters. And you kill monsters. And that was a crucial difference to me as opposed to Bruce and Kal. They were not going to take a life and could not be pushed to it -- one who had and would not go there again and one that absolutely wouldn't. And Diana was raised in a warrior culture. And you can make the argument of her being an ambassador of peace and so on until the days come home but she's an Amazon. And you would argue that it's an affirmative defense, as they legally.
    Even Nu52 this idea is very prevalent.

Self serving corporate schmuck, yes. Wanting to murder metahumans, no.
    None of these statements are mutually exclusive in our world and especially in comics.

Quote Originally Posted by K. Jones View Post
    It was a fine article and decent interview and all, but what I took away from this?

DiDio and Rucka are doing press together, now? Seriously, how long before we get that book announcement?
    Pray either for WW or Batwoman. Or both.
    Last edited by Bruce Wayne; 04-30-2015 at 01:46 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne View Post
    Even Nu52 this idea is very prevalent.

None of these statements are mutually exclusive in our world and especially in comics.

Pray either for WW or Batwoman. Or both.
    Hell, Batwoman/Wonder Woman. Or an all female Justice League with Mera, Fire and Ice.

Or ... a new Question series, because at this point Rucka might be the only guy who can make Johns' silly ass trinity of sin Question into anything worth a damn.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by K. Jones View Post

DiDio and Rucka are doing press together, now?
    Seriously, how long before we get that book announcement?
    My reaction too.