Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Was X3’s stereotypical take on dissociative identity disorder controversial?

I was reading the Wikipedia page of the 2000 Fox film "Me, Myself, & Irene" and found out that there was huge controversy over how the movie portrays dissociative identity disorder (aka multiple personality disorder). Spreading misinformation and playing on inaccurate stereotypes about the disorder, such as the idea that alternate personalities are inherently violent. M. Night Shyamalan’s Split/Glass faced similar criticisms.

For context on why this is problematic:

Myth: People with dissociative identity disorder are violent.

Fact: People with dissociative identity disorder are no more violent than the general population.

While the idea of dissociative identity disorder violent alters has frequently been the premise of horror movies, it is not supported by what is known about dissociative identity disorder. There is no link between increased criminal activity and dissociative identity disorder. The false belief that people dissociative identity disorder are violent is dangerous as it causes unnecessary fear further stigmatizing and isolating people who have a serious mental illness.

Not only are people with dissociative identity disorder no more likely to be violent than other people, but they are also more likely to be the victims of violence. Dissociative identity disorder has been traced to childhood trauma. Individuals with this disorder are more likely to be re-traumatized and experience abuse from multiple people throughout their lives.
    Myth: It is widely understood that the portrayal of dissociative identity disorder in movies and TV is sensationalized.

Fact: The image of dissociative identity disorder in the media has created confusion regarding the symptoms of this disorder.

Dissociative identity disorder movies, such as 2017’s “Split,” may get some aspects of the disorder correct, but tend to get the majority wrong. Dissociative identity disorder symptoms are exaggerated in the media and in many cases, the symptoms shown are entirely fictional. Many people assume that the symptoms shown on TV and in the movies have at least have some basis in reality. Even if a person takes media’s portrayal with a grain of salt and assumes symptoms are exaggerated, they may still believe many falsehoods about the condition to be true. Switching between states usually does not occur as frequently or dramatically as is portrayed by media; in most cases, states subtly and covertly shift.

An additional problem with the media portrayal of dissociative identity disorder is the stigma it creates. The negative stereotypes of the disorder perpetuated by TV and movies may discourage people living with the condition from getting help.
    https://www.therecoveryvillage.com/m...ted/did-myths/

X-Men: The Last Stand was another Fox film released 2006. Despite the controversy the studio faced six years prior with Me, Myself, & Irene they still produced a film that perpetuated this stereotypical myth about DID. I mean, Xavier literally says that Jean developed a dual personality and that automatically made her homicidal. To the point that she wants to kill her loved ones unprovoked.

So was there similar controversy? The mentally ill are a marginalized group and the X-Men franchise is suppose to be an allegory for such people. Even the original Dark Phoenix Saga is about mental health issues such as trauma and drug addiction at its core. But The Last Stand instead demonizes a marginalized group. However, I don’t think I have seen people criticize this aspect of the film other then complaining that the Phoenix was not a cosmic entity.
    Last edited by Gnostic; 11-15-2021 at 12:22 PM.

It's a comic book movie, not a critique on DID. I'd say that aspect of it wasn't controversial at all because in no way shape or form did it promote itself as an educational resource on DID. I'd argue the same for Me, Myself and Irene. Entertainment, especially comedies pushes boundaries, I'd argue that neither of these movies come anywhere close to pushing those boundaries though.
    You brought back Wolverine

The CBR Community Standards a.k.a how to get along.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolverine12 View Post
    It's a comic book movie, not a critique on DID. I'd say that aspect of it wasn't controversial at all because in no way shape or form did it promote itself as an educational resource on DID. I'd argue the same for Me, Myself and Irene. Entertainment, especially comedies pushes boundaries, I'd argue that neither of these movies come anywhere close to pushing those boundaries though.
    It definitely tried to ground itself in “reality” based on the interviews I’ve read. Split/Glass were also superhero films but that didn’t prevent them from getting criticisms for perpetuating harmful stereotypes. X3’s portrayal was arguably worse since the Horde at least had a motive behind their actions unlike the Phoenix.

It is also X-Men. So it is suppose to be about that kind of stuff.
    Last edited by Gnostic; 11-16-2021 at 06:23 AM.

Controversial? Not really.

Poorly constructed, poorly told, utterly bland, overly incoherent, and downright absurd? Definitely.

There were a lot of problems with X3. How it approached Jean's descent into madness was one of the biggest problems that brought the whole movie down. But it was just one of many reasons this movie is so reviled.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

Fantastic Member

Never heard of this movie.

To be honest, despite their being some Xavier lines that alude to it, I am not sure most people read it as a allegory or commentary to DID, so I think that's why people didn't really cause an uproar back in the day (And to be fair, Hollywood only recently became more proactive at stopping this type of portrayal.)

I mean, even with people complaining about the plot, the thing I remember people complained the most about was how final it was with all the deaths, in a way that it killed the franchise going forward (Which was fair, cause they went the prequel route after it).

Quote Originally Posted by xhx23x View Post
    To be honest, despite their being some Xavier lines that alude to it, I am not sure most people read it as a allegory or commentary to DID, so I think that's why people didn't really cause an uproar back in the day (And to be fair, Hollywood only recently became more proactive at stopping this type of portrayal.)

I mean, even with people complaining about the plot, the thing I remember people complained the most about was how final it was with all the deaths, in a way that it killed the franchise going forward (Which was fair, cause they went the prequel route after it).
    Xavier was revealed to be alive in the post-credit scene and the cure was revealed to be temporary at the end as well. Scott and Jean are really the ones that died. So I don’t think it really all that final.

Quote Originally Posted by I’m An Agent of Chaos View Post
    Xavier was revealed to be alive in the post-credit scene and the cure was revealed to be temporary at the end as well. Scott and Jean are really the ones that died. So I don’t think it really all that final.
    I'm not saying there weren't ways they could continue the story, but even with the cure being implied to be temporary, it seemed like a very final chapter type of thing. Plus, the after credit scene was either not understood or forgotten about cause I remember a bunch of people being confused that Xavier was back by The Wolverine/Days. It was a time before we religiously waited for one from these movies.

It would've probably been the end if Fox didn't need to keep making them to retain the rights.

Fantastic Member Captain Buttocks's Avatar

I reckon if it was controversial there mgiht have been the tell-tale sign of a controversy at the time.

So, no.

Quote Originally Posted by OmegaStorm87 View Post
    Never heard of this movie.
    X3 = X-Men: The Last Stand

I couldn't fit it in the title.

No because there is no mention of it online. I wish they adapted Legion instead but that could've been a clusterfuck waiting to happen.

I enjoy X3 but the whole Phoniex arc was the weak spot for me. Dark Phoniex did it better to me.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 11-25-2021 at 08:18 AM.

There was an old boys club involved in the first 3 X-Men movies. And though one and two were decent. The writers were incapable of making the story about Jean Grey and instead made it about Xavier and Wolverine, because "men".

Brett Ratner is a sexual predator, including on the set itself. Are you even surprised that he and his good buddy Simon Kinberg managed to make a movie that doesn't even focus properly on the female character at all.

The first three X-Men movies were lucky because they had top notch actors who sold it in spite of the creepy director and writers.
    https://www.cinemablend.com/news/172...ner-accusation
    We are MUTANT..Krakoa, FOREVER!!! “Liberté, Égalité, Fraternité”

I'm not sure Hollywood has ever done a take on DID that wasn't complete bullshit.

Quote Originally Posted by RachelGrey View Post
    There was an old boys club involved in the first 3 X-Men movies. And though one and two were decent. The writers were incapable of making the story about Jean Grey and instead made it about Xavier and Wolverine, because "men".

Brett Ratner is a sexual predator, including on the set itself. Are you even surprised that he and his good buddy Simon Kinberg managed to make a movie that doesn't even focus properly on the female character at all.

The first three X-Men movies were lucky because they had top notch actors who sold it in spite of the creepy director and writers.
    https://www.cinemablend.com/news/172...ner-accusation
    Kinberg was only one of three co-writers along side Zak Penn and Matthew Vaughn (director of First Class). The filming schedule was rushed and Vaughn dropped out as director a few days before filming began because he didn’t have enough time to make the movie he wanted to make. Brett Ratner came in and shot it really quick, much of the Phoenix stuff in the script was left off due to time. Even Chris Claremont has said this.

The first four or so minute of this video covers it.

EDIT: Yes, sexism was involved as the video covers.
    Last edited by Gnostic; 11-25-2021 at 10:09 AM.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frobisher View Post
    I'm not sure Hollywood has ever done a take on DID that wasn't complete bullshit.
    I don't know how accurate it is, but at least Doom Patrol's Jane is heroic.