Default How many of Marvel's superheroes and supervillains have been lawyers?

I was listening to a podcast about roleplaying in the MU, and the subject of "Who else is a lawyer who might be involved in this scene?" came up.

That got me wondering: Just how many of Marvel's costumed characters, heroes or villains, have also passed a bar exam at some point so that they can qualify as "real lawyers"?

To start the ball rolling, I will name two of the most obvious examples -- each has carried his or her own "regular title," and each one's first appearance was scripted by the one and only Stan "the Man" Lee! (Also, each was mentioned by name in the podcast which triggered this thread.)

Daredevil (Matt Murdock).

She-Hulk (Jennifer Walters).

Off the top of my head, I can remember a few more examples -- but I don't want to be greedy. Anyone else care to mention a few "costumed lawyer" characters from the Marvel continuity?

Note: I'm not interested in anybody who was only a lawyer in the sense that "we once saw a analog of his character in some obscure alternate timeline, and that version of the guy had actually gone to law school!" Instead, I want someone who's been a licensed lawyer, somewhere along the line, within the "main timeline" of Earth-616. (Or in some other Marvel timeline which has been used as the setting for dozens of comic book issues -- for instance, in the MC2 timeline, or the 2099 timeline, or the Ultraverse -- since those were not "alternate universes" which only existed for the sake of one quick little story or story arc; they lasted long enough to be "significant," the way I look at it!

Believe it or not, Dazzler graduated Magna Cum Laude in pre-law, before pursuing her music career.

The X-Men have also had the recurring character Evangeline "Vange" Whedon, who can turn into a dragon when she comes into contact with blood, as their legal counsel in recent years.

As far as villains go, i can't think of many supervillain lawyers in the Marvel U.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

Two-Gun Kid.

She-Venom.

Crime Master, Betty Brant's brother.

Big Ben Donovan, the Luke Cage villain.

Mister Fear, the Larry Cranston version.

Klaus Kruger, an early Daredevil villain.

Cameron Hodge, from X-Factor.

Beetle, from Sinister Foes of Spider-Man.

Harry Leland, of the Hellfire Club.

The Judge, from the underrated Deadline mini-series.
    Last edited by Expletive Deleted; 04-30-2015 at 07:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
    As far as villains go, i can't think of many supervillain lawyers in the Marvel U.
    I'm fairly sure that at least two or three of Daredevil's villains were classmates of his in law school, and a fair number of corporate villains probably have law backgrounds.

Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
    Believe it or not, Dazzler graduated Magna Cum Laude in pre-law, before pursuing her music career.
    If I ever knew that, I had long since forgotten!

But I don't think it really counts for my purposes. Not unless she somehow managed to pass the bar exam for the State of New York (or any other state), and become a "licensed attorney," without spending a few years in law school first.

A dropped story was that Ice Man thought about going into law at one point and Barney Barton before he switched over to the CIA. The Leader is also a self taught lawyer as he has even shocked She-Hulk with his legal expertise.
    Mooper Films

Pretty sure Cable does, I remember him flashing a card that read New York Bar Association in an issue from the mid to late 90s.

A few more . . .

Lady Bullseye, although she may have been posing as a lawyer.

Several of Madrox's dupes, so arguably Madrox himself.

Falcon, the obscure Golden Age version.

Thunderbolt, from Power Man & Iron Fist.

Laughing Mask, from The Twelve.

They LAUGHED at my theory SteveGus's Avatar

I'd expect the Living Tribunal to have a law degree from somewhere.
    "At what point do we say, 'You're mucking with our myths'?" - Harlan Ellison

Quote Originally Posted by SteveGus View Post
    I'd expect the Living Tribunal to have a law degree from somewhere.
    I wouldn't. People who appoint themselves "judge, jury, and executioner" usually have no formal legal training; they seem to feel it would just get in the way! Besides, when you're a cosmic entity, what do you care about whether or not your behavior complies with any mere mortal legal professor's ideas of what constitutes "the proper rules and procedures"?

Quote Originally Posted by autbey View Post
    Pretty sure Cable does, I remember him flashing a card that read New York Bar Association in an issue from the mid to late 90s.
    I don't think I'd heard about that. And to think that there was a time when I actually liked Cable . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Expletive Deleted View Post
    Beetle, from Sinister Foes of Spider-Man.
    You mean SUPERIOR Foes of Spider-Man. It became a plot point at the end of Astonishing Ant-Man.