Page 650 of 820 FirstFirst ... 150550600640646647648649650651652653654660700750 ... LastLast
Results 9,736 to 9,750 of 12295
    Ultimate Member

I'm not sure that there would have been any political backlash in the future, I mean she's been Asian for over 30 years so if it hasn't happened by now...and it would be stupid to have her have to relearn everything, then why make the change at all, and many here are only hoping that she'll get a lot of time to show the "new" her in Styx's body, though she could only get some token mentions and nothing more...

Quote Originally Posted by LoganAlpha30X33 View Post
    I'm not sure that there would have been any political backlash in the future, I mean she's been Asian for over 30 years so if it hasn't happened by now...and it would be stupid to have her have to relearn everything, then why make the change at all, and many here are only hoping that she'll get a lot of time to show the "new" her in Styx's body, though she could only get some token mentions and nothing more...
    Because comics...don't know if you noticed but telling the same stories over and over is part of the stick. And political issues like cultural appropriation, women objectification are more and more relevant and present in all medias...she's present since 30 years but the 70's, 80's and 90's were not very strong on respecting or even addressing those issues.

Quote Originally Posted by MentalManipulator View Post
    So she will eventually look very similar to Asian Betsy (who almost never looked Asian anyway).
    Which is why I don't get the furore about it. She basically got a new outfit and a lighter shade of hair and people are losing their minds. She's still the same character.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by MentalManipulator View Post
    Because comics...don't know if you noticed but telling the same stories over and over is part of the stick. And political issues like cultural appropriation, women objectification are more and more relevant and present in all medias...she's present since 30 years but the 70's, 80's and 90's were not very strong on respecting or even addressing those issues.
    And over the last several years she's been less and less objectified than she was in the 90's, and the 90's were almost 20 years ago...and if all that it was is that she got a new outfit and a different hairstyle then just give her a new uniform and go with that...this still strikes me as a response to the editors own personal mistake and his trying to make up for it however he thinks that he can...and it's still not really Betsy's body since she took it from someone else, reforming it or not...

Quote Originally Posted by Psyknight View Post
    Agreed. Maybe she’s just temporarily overwhelmed from all the pain and trauma she just experienced and that’s why she seems so naive and almost childlike in that preview.

The art is beautiful. Love her face and hair.
    I admit that I love when we get to see original blonde Betsy. Seeing her change her hair was complete Psylocke elegance.

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    It makes sense that she isnt a martial artist off the bat. Why would she be? This new body doesnt have the muscle memory or training that she did in her current Japanese one. She should work to be able to get back to where she was and watching her train could be good development for her. We should see her impulsive and try to be like she used to be only to realize she isnt. That struggle and her motivation to get back on top is an interesting story in and of itself
    Eh, but we've honestly pretty much kinda seen this before. During Exiles, Psylocke had a subplot that spanned for quite some time on her training, refining and learning new skills because she wasn't on Slaymaster's level. I just want something new and fresh!

Quote Originally Posted by Tazirai View Post
    I think it's just the Psychic Shock of it all. I mean I took an pain pill last night, body felt great, my mind was like DERRR!!! Lol.
    Hahaha!

Agreed with you on this. This should have been the artist from the beginning.
    Definitely. I'd love to see a book both with Brian in his Leonard Kirk designed Captain Britain costume (the current one is so old and needs a huge update) and Betsy drawn by Kirk.

I don't mind non combat Psylocke, but after all she's been through, she's retained those skills, might have to refresh the body though.
    I'm just a bit fearful that it will make her even more redundant since we already have a non combat, white telepath on the team in the form of Mrs. Grey-Summers and we know how she's the "golden girl" at the moment.

I asked this a few pages back but are we of the opinion that Psylocke, once this “body-swap” is executed, will retain solely her telepathy and lose her teke?? I mean, it kinda makes sense that, if it is indeed her original body that’s she’s returning to (and not a duplicate/new body mystically or technologically created to house her soul) genetically-speaking, her original body’s natural mutation did not include that of telekinesis, she was exclusively telepathic. What expectations do you guys have for her power-set?? Will she be exclusively telepathic or do you expect her to retain the tk?

Quote Originally Posted by Conor View Post
    I asked this a few pages back but are we of the opinion that Psylocke, once this “body-swap” is executed, will retain solely her telepathy and lose her teke?? I mean, it kinda makes sense that, if it is indeed her original body that’s she’s returning to (and not a duplicate/new body mystically or technologically created to house her soul) genetically-speaking, her original body’s natural mutation did not include that of telekinesis, she was exclusively telepathic. What expectations do you guys have for her power-set?? Will she be exclusively telepathic or do you expect her to retain the tk?
    Nobody knows until the issue comes out. Several people have responded about what we want but even thats not speculation. Just wait till Wednesday to get your answer

My preference would be either:

- Telepath with minor TK - more focused on TK weapons and minor feats than mountain smashing. Basically so she's still useful in fights against Sentinels etc.

- Telepath with Precognition - Her original powers, precognition was always an interesting but under-utililised aspect of her character. It could help further define her from other telepaths.

Quote Originally Posted by Yronheart View Post

- Telepath with minor TK - more focused on TK weapons and minor feats than mountain smashing. Basically so she's still useful in fights against Sentinels etc.

- Telepath with Precognition - Her original powers, precognition was always an interesting but under-utililised aspect of her character. It could help further define her from other telepaths.
    That’s fine. That’s basically how she’s been written, since Claremont stopped writing her, except when Remender pretended she was all telepath.

Quote Originally Posted by Yronheart View Post

Would be perfectly content to see either of these power-sets as her future power-set, moderate-level tk so she can still create tk weapons, barriers & enhance her speed, strength, reflexes, acrobatic ability, etc. would be much appreciated. Claremontian high-level tk was kinda nonsensical for her as a ninja. I’d rather the focus be on her combat & telepathy rather than large-scale tk feats, as you said yourself.

I dont like Psylocke flying. That use of TK never sit right with me

Quote Originally Posted by Drey View Post
    I admit that I love when we get to see original blonde Betsy. Seeing her change her hair was complete Psylocke elegance.
    That was delightful.

I don't really think anyone has had her smashing mountains or flying since CC have they? I think Bunn with the little butterfly wings (<3) and that random moment during Second Coming but that's it? What most say the want with the tk is basically what we've been getting the last few years lol. Very moderate, weapons with the occasional shield and deflection of debris.

But I'm also fine if it stays. I've always been fond of Tekelocke.

Quote Originally Posted by Conor View Post
    Honestly, I don't think we really know what her natural mutation/potential is. I'm about to go into full-on nerd mode on how Betsy's powers progressed lol.

- Psychic bond shared with Brian since children.
    - In Acts of Vengeance there was a scene that was a possible memory of pre-teen Betsy accidentally creating a psychic illusion when she was hassling Brian.
    - In the earlier Captain Britain stories she started out with psychic flashes/dreams.
    - In Alan Moore's Captain Britain stories up until Tom Lennox died, she was a precognitive and appeared to be a low level telepath. The only thing she did with her telepathy at this time was read/scan minds and could feel when each one of her friends were murdered by Slaymaster.
    - After Tom was killed, she was taken in by Victoria Bentley and she learned how to use her abilities offensively and agressively, like when she took out around 8 armored goons with one psychic blast that were after Brian.
    - When Kaptain Briton tried to rape her, it appears that telekinesis was involved. He was on top of her and once she saw inside his mind, she flipped out, waved her hands and he was thrown back into a wall. Objects in the room were
    thrown back as well. Once she really went in on him, he was left a smoldering husk.
    - As a newbie X-man, she became more powerful and versatile and began using long distance communication, astral projection, illusions, mind control, and many of the things that high level telepaths are capable of, but her
    precognition seemed to go into dormancy. She also dubbed her most powerful attack the psycho-blast that affected things psychically and physically.
    - After Acts of Vengeance, she learned how to create a physical manifestation for her power, the psychic knife.
    - After Revanche died, she began to manifest a psychic sword and katana briefly before AoA. Once it ended, she was back to the psychic knife and then almost killed by Sabretooth.

The situation with Betsy and Jean swapping powers is muddled, but I'm just gonna say that it would seem logical that Betsy had the natural ability/potential to develop telekinesis. For example, like Xavier being a telepath (but has had telekinetic moments in the early X-men days), but yet Cassandra Nova was able to create a body for herself based off his genetic structure, using his full potential, one of which was telekinesis. There's also Jean that was able to possess Emma and use telekinesis in her body (Emma has been hinted at being a latent telekine at least twice in Generation X).

So I'm ok with her power-set of having both abilities with the weakness that she can't go all-out with both. I'd just add in limited precognition sometimes and limited psychometry.

Psycwave and Havok83, love your avatars.
    Last edited by Drey; 08-17-2018 at 11:17 AM. Reason: OCDness

Quote Originally Posted by Psycwave View Post
    I don't really think anyone has had her smashing mountains or flying since CC have they? I think Bunn with the little butterfly wings (<3) and that random moment during Second Coming but that's it? What most say the want with the tk is basically what we've been getting the last few years lol. Very moderate, weapons with the occasional shield and deflection of debris.

But I'm also fine if it stays. I've always been fond of Tekelocke.
    I’ll have to recheck but I thought she flew in X-men v4