Page 775 of 820 FirstFirst ... 275675725765771772773774775776777778779785 ... LastLast
Results 11,611 to 11,625 of 12295

Am I the only one totally disappointed with this issue.

Overall the issue was bad. It accomplished nothing and used a Whedon story to mimic. There is literally no premise here either. The first issue should always define the overall mission and we know nothing of this threat or mission. 64 pages and we know nothing.

Also, I find it a big whoopee doo that Betsy is using a different sword and shield. Easily something she could have done at literally anytime. Her voice was waaaaay off and saying bloody too much was cringe worthy. This is why I despise her in a main cast flagship book. She gets demonstrated and pigeonholed as always. She needs to be in a lower key well written book. One where she can shine and not be regulated to a background English psychic.

I don't know. Was not impressed.

Incredible Member Infernal-Ginger's Avatar

Just announced Rosenberg & Salvador regular team on Uncanny - awesome! I love his Betts 20181115_095709.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    So here’s a question. Based on Tax’ suggestion that she use English colloquialisms... I’m hesitant to think she’d use certain slang and slurs due to her proper heritage and professional career— despite her tomboy persona. There are as many British accents as there are in America. We can easily rule out Welsh and Cockney accents, but who do you think Betsy SOUNDS like?
    Given her upbringing, I've always felt that she sounds posh. And since she's from Essex it's most likely a posh variety of the accent there, something like Victoria Beckham.

Quote Originally Posted by MentalManipulator View Post
    Just finished reading the issue. I really liked it for a set-up. It sets well the mysteries and the main cast.

I absolutely love the art and the way Betsy looks. Her civilian clothes are just so on point. Stylish and sexy. I'm glad she's still a physical fighter. And I do really enjoy her new weapons. Can't wait to follow the story.

I'm happy they chose the costume instead the other armoured and hooded concept. I prefer Betsy looking sleek and light with her (gorgeous) hair down.

Could someone make and avatar for me out of this image? The one with Betsy wielding her new weapons? One where we see more her face but with a little bit of her sword and butterfly? I'm very bad at this.
    Attachment 73776
    I'm not that great with borders but I was able to make these.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    I'm not sure how I feel about the flying. TK is mind over matter. Her body is definitely matter. It seems...limiting...if they don't give her abilities that even lesser TKs have. Presumably levitation is just another form of TK. Most magic users can do that, not as a result of magic, but of honing their mental acuity and the innate psionic powers that exist to some degree in all humans. And then there are Eternals, who fly/levitate mostly as a reflection of their mental powers, not necessarily their cosmic abilities. And now that I think about it, isn't Gladiator's flying abilities more psionic in nature than anything?

Ultimately, I guess I can see how they'd give her flight powers, or air-walking powers; whatever the case may be. And that's without considering any other natural abilities that she would have from her Otherworld heritage. I realize this is a different body, but if those powers stem more from the mind/soul interaction, Betsy could have even more abilities in her toolkit. Not to step on Nightcrawler's or Blink's toes, but is short range, limited psionic teleportation outside the realm of possibility for Betts?
    Teleportation is definitely not outside the realm of possibility for her. She once had the ability to teleport when she possessed magickal abilities obtained from the Crimson Dawn. Nate Grey was taught from an alternate Jean Grey how to teleport to other realities, Madelyne Pryor learned how to teleport herself and objects, and Jean once had a subplot (that got swept under the rug) where she either teleported or astral projected to the Heroes Reborn reality that Franklin Richards constructed.

As for Betsy's telekinesis in both bodies, Taz is correct in that she's had some form of it going way back to her UK days.

Quote Originally Posted by Psycwave View Post
    Even dead she looks great.

Queen of Death and Resurrection. Phoenix who?!
    LOL, I thought the same thing about how even dead she looked great.

I'm excited for Salva, but hopefully the colors are vibrant. Last I remember he was using a more water-color like based palette which made his art look a little flat, IMO.
    Last edited by Drey; 11-15-2018 at 10:26 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    It varies but people can be away from the country they grew up in for 10 years and lose their accent

As far as her different bodies, its been longer than that. Jean Grey was dead for about 3-4 years. She had only been with the X-men for a few months when she went through the Siege
    She was with them for two real years, before the siege. She was 32 in real time. Kitty turned 17 when they "died" and went to Australia and Kitty joined Excalibur. She was 32 when the change occurred, Claremont forgot about the sliding timescale and still used real years.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by CrystaliaArmadia View Post
    Given her upbringing, I've always felt that she sounds posh. And since she's from Essex it's most likely a posh variety of the accent there, something like Victoria Beckham.
    People from Maldon do speak in an upper crust manner.

Quote Originally Posted by Psycwave View Post
    I'm not that great with borders but I was able to make these.
    Your adorable. thank you :-)
    A picture would last longer darling...

Quote Originally Posted by Tazirai View Post
    She was with them for two real years, before the siege. She was 32 in real time. Kitty turned 17 when they "died" and went to Australia and Kitty joined Excalibur. She was 32 when the change occurred, Claremont forgot about the sliding timescale and still used real years.
    Kitty was not 17. She celebrated her 15th birthday in an early issue of Excalibur. Even if we go with Betsy being with the X-men for 2 years before Siege, that just further supports her being outside the UK with more time to lose that accent.

BANNED

Kitty was not 17. She celebrated her 15th birthday in an early issue of Excalibur. Even if we go with Betsy being with the X-men for 2 years before Siege, that just further supports her being outside the UK with more time to lose that accent.
    Go read Uncanny X-men #213. Then Look at Psylockes birthday... 4/23/56

Kitty was half her age at the time, aka 15. Kitty teased Doug because she was one year older than he was. Doug hated being 14.

Kitty turning 15 in Excalibur was a goof.

Claremont still used real time when Marvel was using Sliding time.
    But either way, not to dispute this any longer. She wasn't kwannon for decades, and her training probably kept her with an upper crust accent.

Not everybody will lose their accent when they have a strong attachment. She literally spoke UK English for at least 30 years, before coming stateside.

But its an issue we can agree to disagree on, even when it's on paper?

Go read Uncanny X-men #213. Then Look at Psylockes birthday... 4/23/56

Kitty was half her age at the time, aka 15. Kitty teased Doug because she was one year older than he was. Doug hated being 14.

Kitty turning 15 in Excalibur was a goof.

Claremont still used real time when Marvel was using Sliding time.
    But either way, not to dispute this any longer. She wasn't kwannon for decades, and her training probably kept her with an upper crust accent.

Not everybody will lose their accent when they have a strong attachment. She literally spoke UK English for at least 30 years, before coming stateside.

But its an issue we can agree to disagree on, even when it's on paper?
    Im not disputing Psylocke's age. Claremont had Kitty turn 14 when she dated Colossus. 3 years had not passed from that moment to UXM 213. She was 14 and a half (pushing 15) which doesnt contradict what you wrote. Kitty being 17 however does

Not everyone will lose their accent but some might. Its hard to say with Psylocke bc we have 30 years worth of comics where there is little indication that she has an accent. I think there's been maybe 1 or 2 occasions where that may have been referenced but it definitely is not something thats been a part of her speech pattern in any consistent manner, which is why I can accept that she's lost it. Take either time away from UK or a result of her body altering. Both work for me.
    Last edited by Havok83; 11-15-2018 at 01:46 PM.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

I was thinking more form fitting. ^^
    In a realm where writers and artists are really only limited by their imaginations, Betsy could have any kind of conceivable armor. Some parts of it could be as clear as glass, but as hard as omnium steel and the weight of a feather. It just depends on the artist's choices.

I'd probably give her an outfit that is mostly chain or a mesh-type fabric. And I'd probably have her show a little skin, mostly to indicate that it wasn't an accident that she ran around scantily clad when she had Kwannon's body. Some of that truly reflects how Betsy sees her alter ego, "superhero" Betsy. In this case, it wouldn't be mere projected image, but residual self-imagery.

Having said that, at the risk of her being perceived like a mutant Green Lantern -- or perhaps Star Sapphire is more apt -- I wouldn't bother with armor. I'd give Betsy a pink/lavender/magenta/whatever color TK force field that goes up whenever her instinctive, "pre-conscious" mind senses danger. She wouldn't bother with creating an actual shield, but perhaps dual swords, daggers and a naginata -- for multiple assailants; dense, resistant combatants (e.g., Juggernaut, Hulk, etc.) who she wants to keep at range; and for routine photo ops.
    “True peace is not merely the absence of tension; it is the presence of justice.”
    ~Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

“If I love you, I have to make you conscious of what you don’t see.”
    ~James Baldwin

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by PsychicScion View Post
    I agree to no hood....I like seeing her long flowing purple hair...it is her unique distinct trademark that should always be shown.

I just hope she doesn't go back to Warren....she needs someone positive and upbeat in her life. Maybe Kurt? She makes a much better match than Rachel with him.
    Hoping to see some scenes where Jean & Betts combine their telepathy.
    Warren can be plenty upbeat when they're not forcing him to be all glum and depressed, he was the X-men's original action junkie, and those panels aren't his fault anyway as he's probably been taken over by Nate's tp and such...and Kurt can be plenty glum as well...

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MentalManipulator View Post
    Your adorable. thank you :-)
    Here ya go Mental.

BANNED

Im not disputing Psylocke's age. Claremont had Kitty turn 14 when she dated Colossus. 3 years had not passed from that moment to UXM 213. She was 14 and a half (pushing 15) which doesnt contradict what you wrote. Kitty being 17 however does

Not everyone will lose their accent but some might. Its hard to say with Psylocke bc we have 30 years worth of comics where there is little indication that she has an accent. I think there's been maybe 1 or 2 occasions where that may have been referenced but it definitely is not something thats been a part of her speech pattern in any consistent manner, which is why I can accept that she's lost it. Take either time away from UK or a result of her body altering. Both work for me.
    I hear ya. But I'm just saying that I speak fluent Japanese, and have a Japanese accent when I do having lived there for 6 years. But I'm a Philly kid from Jump, and speak like a native from Philly constantly. So people can change, flip, or adapt to their location while maintaining their original accent. The thing about accent is it's fluidity based on the speaker. So I agree with ya on that.