Page 657 of 820 FirstFirst ... 157557607647653654655656657658659660661667707757 ... LastLast
Results 9,841 to 9,855 of 12295
    Ultimate Member

I thought that Elektra was Greek, and the Asian look is Betsy's more recognizeable look...

Quote Originally Posted by The_Greatest_Username View Post
    No. There was backlash against Marvel for casting a white actor for Iron Fist when they could have [/B](and probably should have)[/B] cast an Asian actor. There’s an expectation now for Marvel to be inclusive in their casting when possible.
    Why though?
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    That isn't ironic since the comic version is Eurasian too.
    Really? Has she always been Eurasian or is that a recent development or retcon?

Astonishing Member The_Greatest_Username's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    Why though?
    I’ve already said that I’m not arguing those points here because they’re irrelevant to Psylocke’s thread. However, if you’re interested in my POV, feel free to PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by Psyknight View Post
    Really? Has she always been Eurasian or is that a recent development or retcon?
    I’m curious as well because I’ve always assumed Elektra was Greek unless there was a recent change.

Unless I'm missing something,Trinking is teasing our race/culture-sensitive friends,since,like Psylocke,Elektra is another case of a European appropriating Asian culture.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

I'm worried about the future where people didn't know Greece is part of the Eurasian region. Could've just been more specific and said the Netflix actress is part-Chinese.

Ultimate Member

I remember after Logan lost his adamantium Elektra took him back to Greece and Logan remembered fighting there during WW2 and he met her uncle or grandfather or something like that...

As for Betsy I don't remember her ever saying that she was Japanese, if the topic came up she'd admit to being English in a Japanese body, and some of Kwannon's influence may have lead to her taste for the art and such...

I'm worried about the future where people didn't know Greece is part of the Eurasian region. Could've just been more specific and said the Netflix actress is part-Chinese.
    ...Oh.That works,too. :P

Astonishing Member The_Greatest_Username's Avatar

Well then worry about the present, because I’ll admit I was ignorant of the correct terminology

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Selene View Post
    Unless I'm missing something,Trinking is teasing our race/culture-sensitive friends,since,like Psylocke,Elektra is another case of a European appropriating Asian culture.
    A non-Japanese person learning Ninjutsu and get roped into a fictional ninja clan isn't cultural appropriation.

Well then worry about the present, because I’ll admit I was ignorant of the correct terminology
    I believe the right term would be Mongoloid/Caucasian mix.I think "Eurasian" stuck in the same sense "Hispanic" has;there is no such thing as Hispanic race.
    A non-Japanese person learning Ninjutsu and get roped into a fictional ninja clan isn't cultural appropriation.
    You're preaching to the choir.

The future does looks pretty bleak to be honest.

BANNED

How so? Race bending is a very popular thing for white characters right now (see the response to Iron Fist being cast as a white man).

Psylocke was Asian in Marvel Heroes. They even gave her that unfortunate “Lady Mandarin” costume and in their last update before shutting down she got a samurai inspired Horseman of Apocalypse costume. She’s also clearly Asian in the Future Fight game.
    She also just received new merchandise this year in her Asian appearance.

Marvel heroes VU. These are definetly different. But we may see the same things differently.

Even the Apocalypse suit, the asian themed one, used the new face.

Mandarin suit and other costumes used the older face.

BANNED

No. There was backlash against Marvel for casting a white actor for Iron Fist when they could have (and probably should have) cast an Asian actor. There’s an expectation now for Marvel to be inclusive in their casting when possible.

Similarly, if we see Psylocke join the MCU, I’d expect most fans would want Marvel to cast as an Asian actress instead of a white one.
    I doubt they'd go that route. Only a small group of us would. Most fans wouldn't be familiar, I'd assume outside of the few X-men fans.
    Before the FOX thing, MCU had the rights to Whitelocke and not Asian Locke, and if they do Captain Britain, they'd go with the "Classic" look of her former self. That's just my speculation.

BANNED

Honestly most North Americans have a warped perception of the world. Especially if they've never traveled. I mean the first time I ever went abroad, I met a black dude in Scotland and it flipped me out. This was late 80's, and as a black dude from Philly, I honestly didn't know there was blacks in the UK region. Most people don't know Egyptians are Africans. Lol.