Page 52 of 820 FirstFirst ... 24248495051525354555662102152552 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Blu Berri View Post
    The only time I haven't been ok with Betsy's sexualized behavior was when she tried to break up Scott and Jean and nearly raped Scott.

Ugh, sexuality is a such double standard of comics. Women like Emma Frost, Psylocke, and Huntress get labeled slut and whore for being sexually liberated, but men like Wolverine who sleep around and are close to hitting their triple digits are praised. FUCK that.
    I had this EXACT same discussion on Marvel heroes, when a guy there called/tried to shame her for being a slut.
    I write women who are sexually liberated, and can be as aggressive as they need to be in sexual relations. I've even told my own daughter, Sex is for two mature people to either have fun with or make babies with. Don't let people try to define you just because you don't have a penis. I like that even from her beginnings in the UK, she was a sexually liberated woman, definitely Betsy was no prude.

Here's the thread. Man it's always funny when a male has to defend a womans sexuality. I just read his latest reply. He personally just has a thing against Cable. He wants her with Nemesis.. I can see that lol.

http://forums.marvelheroes.com/discu...ocke-comics/p3

Quote Originally Posted by Tazirai View Post
    Here's my questions...
    I'd LOVE for a mini set in Otherworld. I know you despised Humphries run but I still wish we could have gotten his Betsy/Storm Otherworld story.

As for being slut shamed, I always think Betsy has gotten even more of a double standard even from other women. There were plenty of times Psylocke would get downsized for her behavior and outfits but others like Emma would get a pass due to previous affiliations. I remember a couple of years ago there was a whole thread about Emma's outfit and stuff making her empowered but Psylocke was labeled less than. One of the reasons I like Betsy is because even when she has been submissive to others there was still a sense of power and control Everything she did was thought-out and for a reason. She wasn't just getting down for no reason. Regardless, I've always been an advocate of let her sleep with the world. I dind't have an issue with her trying to sex Cable cause girl wanted to get laid.

IDK if I would want Gail Simone writing Betsy. She can be really on or off.

Quote Originally Posted by Rnap22 View Post
    I'm kind of over her being this "whore" everyone writes her as. She's def my favorite character and I enjoyed her transformation (the original AoV arc that CC wrote). Remender did great things with her and now after, I feel like she's being used as the cheap slut. The "storyline" with the Fantomex and Cluster was dumb and her telling Cable that they could sleep together because there was NSA was kind of out of no where. For an omega level mutant warrior, I can't believe that writers focus on trying to make her out as a slut.
    It's not the writers who focus on trying to make her a "slut" it's people like you who have tunnel vision about her sex life and measure a woman's worth in how many people she's slept with. If you can't handle that Psylocke has a sex life at all isn't going to limit it to one or two guys then I suggest you not read her at all.

Ultimate Member

It's really a double-standard in society as well. "Man does it he's called a player and gets high-fives. Woman does it and she's called a slut and gets shunned/insulted." It's sad but true. Tony Stark, or Matt Murdock, or Clint Barton, etc get away with sleeping with FAR more people than Betsy, or Emma, or Black Widow and yet they aren't insulted nearly as much as the ladies are.

Ugh, I want Psylocke and Black Widow getting drunk and talking about their past lovers and many mistakes so bad.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Blu Berri View Post
    The only time I haven't been ok with Betsy's sexualized behavior was when she tried to break up Scott and Jean and nearly raped Scott.

Ugh, sexuality is a such double standard of comics. Women like Emma Frost, Psylocke, and Huntress get labeled slut and whore for being sexually liberated, but men like Wolverine who sleep around and are close to hitting their triple digits are praised. FUCK that.
    Emma has slept around too.

Quote Originally Posted by Psycwave View Post
    I'd LOVE for a mini set in Otherworld. I know you despised Humphries run but I still wish we could have gotten his Betsy/Storm Otherworld story.

As for being slut shamed, I always think Betsy has gotten even more of a double standard even from other women. There were plenty of times Psylocke would get downsized for her behavior and outfits but others like Emma would get a pass due to previous affiliations. I remember a couple of years ago there was a whole thread about Emma's outfit and stuff making her empowered but Psylocke was labeled less than. One of the reasons I like Betsy is because even when she has been submissive to others there was still a sense of power and control Everything she did was thought-out and for a reason. She wasn't just getting down for no reason. Regardless, I've always been an advocate of let her sleep with the world. I dind't have an issue with her trying to sex Cable cause girl wanted to get laid.

You are so right that there is a double standard within the double standard. Apparently it's okay for other women to wear revealing costumes, but not Psylocke. Other women can have multiple sexual partners and it's fine but for some reason Psylocke does it and it's sexist.

I have mentioned this before but what gets to me the most is when she's slutshamed for shit that she didn't even do. Do you remember this guy who really hated the way Remender wrote Psylocke from the beginning and one of his complaints was that the really gross Horsemen becoming enamored with Psylocke and kidnapping her made her look like a slut? In what universe does someone becoming obsessed with you, knocking you out and kidnapping you, make you look like a slut? I don't think I've ever seen another character get slutshamed for other characters desiring, hitting on or assaulting them.
    Last edited by Psyknight; 08-01-2014 at 06:00 PM.

Whoa, whoa, whoa, what? Oh lawd Psylocke was victim blamed? Geez, that is beyond prudish, that is some low denominator shit right there.
    Balthier: I doubt we'll find her wanting in valor, being such an upstanding member of the insurgence.
    Ashe: Resistance.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Psyknight View Post
    It's not the writers who focus on trying to make her a "slut" it's people like you who have tunnel vision about her sex life and measure a woman's worth in how many people she's slept with. If you can't handle that Psylocke has a sex life at all isn't going to limit it to one or two guys then I suggest you not read her at all.
    First of all "people like me"... You don't know me and I don't know you.

I am not slut shaming Psylocke at all. What I am saying is that less than stellar writers have been writing her this way since she became Asian. I don't really remember CC writing her that way the entire time he wrote her in the books. She did jump from Warren to Neal pretty quickly, but that never bothered me. In reality she was really only involved with Warren and Fanto. Her and Neal weren't around long enough together to be a real item as it always just seemed more of flirting. Remender did a great job of turning her around into something more than a sex symbol during his run on Uncanny X-force.

Ultimate Member

Quite frankly, if she wants to cover herself in honey and have an orgy with ten guys at once, then that's no one's business but her own imo. What people do in their private time is their own affair and I try to make a point of not making judgments. Who am I to judge?

She's not real and she has a better sex life then me

Anyways, trying to change the subject. Make sure you ask Mike Marts a question. Maybe about an on-going. Its worth a shot. Someone shouldnt be so negative. You know who you are.

I can't wait till she gets interaction with Meggan.

I am not slut shaming Psylocke at all. What I am saying is that less than stellar writers have been writing her this way since she became Asian. I don't really remember CC writing her that way the entire time he wrote her in the books. She did jump from Warren to Neal pretty quickly, but that never bothered me. In reality she was really only involved with Warren and Fanto. Her and Neal weren't around long enough together to be a real item as it always just seemed more of flirting. Remender did a great job of turning her around into something more than a sex symbol during his run on Uncanny X-force.
    Then what in the hell are you complaining about? You're the one who said you were sick of her being written like a whore because of her relationship with Fanto and hitting on Cable. I don't give a shit who the fuck you are. You may not call it slut shaming but that's what you did.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by CGAR View Post

Anyways, trying to change the subject. Make sure you ask Mike Marts a question. Maybe about an on-going. Its worth a shot. Someone shouldnt be so negative. You know who you are.

I can't wait till she gets interaction with Meggan.
    I already posted my questions. One was about the potential for a Psylocke book.

Quote Originally Posted by CGAR View Post
    IKR? Gurl's got it goin on.

Quote Originally Posted by Psycwave View Post
    I agree! Her New52 stuff isn't very great but I fault that with what she had to work with. I want something like Pre-New52 Birds of Prey where you get that feeling Barbara, Helena, Dinah, and Zinda REALLY loved each other and had great moments between out of uniform being just girls. That's what Wood's Adjectiveless should have been... smart, fun, sexy, and lots of camaraderie. If Simone is roped into Adjectiveless, I hope she recaptures that.
    Balthier: I doubt we'll find her wanting in valor, being such an upstanding member of the insurgence.
    Ashe: Resistance.

Ultimate Member

Betsy and Neal only happened because Claremont was leaving the book that he was on and going to start X-treme X-men, otherwise Neal would have been nothing more than some guy that hit on her and she shot down, and that whole thing got rushed anyway...Claremont admitted to it afterwards, otherwise Warren and Betsy would have stayed together for a good long while even though he didn't like the pairing. And for the record guys like Tony Stark do get some crap for their womanizing ways, for Betsy under Remender's pen imho it wasn't that she had a sex life outside of Warren it was how it all happened, the speed of it all, and that kind of thing, who it was with, a guy that wouldn't know what love actually was if it hit him squarely in the face after declaring itself..., that whole thing was odd, he sleeps with Betsy once, much of which he's barely even aware is happening if at all, then suddenly can tell that Mystique is not Betsy like hours later...yeah...

The whole thing with hitting on Scott was Kwannon and not Betsy, though them both being in one body could confuse people I'll admit. Right now the whole Betsy and Cable thing seems more like a reason to have sex in the book, to make Betsy appear sexy and have bravado and all and to try to show that she's not into Fantomex or this is her reaction to his being with someone new, running for the first guy that she sees...