Page 627 of 820 FirstFirst ... 127527577617623624625626627628629630631637677727 ... LastLast
Results 9,391 to 9,405 of 12295

Quote Originally Posted by Angrel-San View Post
    Personally, I don't really care.

Keep her asian, make her Eurasian or a white british woman, it doesn't matter to me.

As long as she remains a ninja and an expert martial arts warrior with telepathy and telekinesis. I won't accept a nerfed Psylocke without warrior prowess. That ship has LOOOOOOOONG SAILED.

The body is whatever but her skillset is NOT. That's one of the main things that makes her Psylocke and unique among the psi-females.
    I agree as well ! :-) It took me years of loving the character to understand she was supposed to be in a Japanese body. What I got was bad-ass, mysterious, sexy, courageous purpled hair ninja psychic....and I loved it!

I understand the situation of her being in that body is complicated so fine, change it....but keep her character traits...all of them.

BANNED

Keep her asian, make her Eurasian or a white british woman, it doesn't matter to me.

As long as she remains a ninja and an expert martial arts warrior with telepathy and telekinesis. I won't accept a nerfed Psylocke without warrior prowess. That ship has LOOOOOOOONG SAILED.

The body is whatever but her skillset is NOT. That's one of the main things that makes her Psylocke and unique among the psi-females.
    You forgot to, and to stop getting worfed by any and everybody.

Quote Originally Posted by Celestialbodies View Post
    All eloquently stated and the strongest argument to changing her back, the only issue I find is I don't trust Marvel to understand or attempt to explain what the change represent, or means to Betsy on an introspective level. Those who hope to see Kwannon back I get that as well, the conflicting emotions I have is most often writers Bunn aside already have a hard time remembering or caring to add distinction to dual nature of her character. Some write her as British, others believe she's ACTUALLY Asian, she's the action girl for others.

Kwannon is troublesome because she would infringe on Psylocke role some and she doesn't have enough back history. I think that will lead to another disappointment as character will probably end up disappearing fast into limbo.In theory it sound like the best of both worlds having the two characters around i think they would take away from each other unless Kwannon was bad guy or something. In that case she would make the perfect Archvillian for Psylocke.I don't know what people think but Psylocke should be to carry a solo book,She is good action character now and interesting application of telepath and think they can play with her british background a little more now. Between the Hand, Sabertooth,ShadowKing, Hellfire Club,Captain Britain or S.T.R.I.K.E stuff, Mojoverse stuff,Relationship with Archangel and Fanthomex sneak some Modeling stuff.I think there is plenty things to work with for a solo book.

Spectacular Member sublimeclown's Avatar

I've always thought the idea of a white woman living in the body of an Asian woman could be a really interesting springboard to explore issues of racial identity, privilege, and prejudice, but that just never seemed to happen. It even would make sense to me to see her exploring Asian culture because she felt she needed to connect to it in some way. Maybe if Psylocke had a solo book, we would've seen more of that.

But without addressing those issues, the body swap has always been problematic. Hopefully this will be a chance to get into some of that now that she will be white again. She's been a minority for so long, what is it like to go back to being white?

I think the fact that people continue to call it a "body swap" is just as problematic. It assumes she in some fashion inherited this body and has an entitlement issue. Not the case. If it were a mere swap. That would be problematic. The fact they did a meld is a whole new ball game. Betsy wasn't undeservingly given a psychic ninja body. Her body and Kwannons were mixed together. All of it. Their DNA, skills and memories.

Not one person says Kwannon is problematic. It's not as if Kwannon didn't gain something from it as well. She was a mere empath that never displayed any real power and instantly became a skilled telepath.

It makes complete sense for someone who inherited through magic and technology. To have an affinity for those things. They aren't false to HER. They seem like trap memories and fortes. Maybe we should just simply stop projecting our own inecurities on to fictitious characters. I am truly scared for things to come. There is a massive push for PC culture. Which does not mix with art in any way. Let's stop policing other peoples art.
    Last edited by Psy; 08-01-2018 at 07:14 AM.

Double post
    Last edited by Psy; 08-01-2018 at 07:15 AM.

Incredible Member

While I think a Brittish woman living inside a japanese woman in a comic book is pretty much different then a white woman appropriating oriental culture and value, some writters don’t quite get that. Race is a thing, there are thousands of british asians. But culture is another thing. Betsy roots, family and origin are 100% british. So even thought IMO psylocke looks aesthatically cooler with darker hair and eurasian traits, I think the character will be in a safer place from now on, now she cannot be the spy goat to writter to explore cultural diversity. That can be offensive coming from a character in such place, specially with so few actual asian characters in Marvel Comics...

So I’d say no matter how much I’ll miss my favorite aesthetics for the character, this is the right thibg to be done. We are paying the debt of years of mistakes of writters who didn’t understand diversity as we all do in the present day.
    Last edited by crimsontt; 08-01-2018 at 08:01 AM.

Oriental refers to things. Asian refers to persons.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    Oriental refers to things. Asian refers to persons.
    I said oriental culture

Spectacular Member sublimeclown's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Psy View Post
    I think the fact that people continue to call it a "body swap" is just as problematic. It assumes she in some fashion inherited this body and has an entitlement issue. Not the case. If it were a mere swap. That would be problematic. The fact they did a meld is a whole new ball game. Betsy wasn't undeservingly given a psychic ninja body. Her body and Kwannons were mixed together. All of it. Their DNA, skills and memories.

Not one person says Kwannon is problematic. It's not as if Kwannon didn't gain something from it as well. She was a mere empath that never displayed any real power and instantly became a skilled telepath.

It makes complete sense for someone who inherited through magic and technology. To have an affinity for those things. They aren't false to HER. They seem like trap memories and fortes. Maybe we should just simply stop projecting our own inecurities on to fictitious characters. I am truly scared for things to come. There is a massive push for PC culture. Which does not mix with art in any way. Let's stop policing other peoples art.
    I do think Kwannon would be problematic if she were still around. People don't bring her up much because she was a relatively minor character that died. Whether or not it is a body swap or melding of bodies/traits is besides the point because you are still taking someone who was born white and turning them into a minority. Which, as I said, could be really interesting if the implications of that were explored, but they never really were unfortunately.

Ultimate Member

Well if they keep her in the Asian body there's still time, and there have been little bits and pieces about how she feels being in the more Asian body over the years, nothing really huge but...and should she face racism just for racism sake...

Why the .... did they change Betsy in a black woman in Mystery of Madripoor #4?? It really does not make ant sense.

That’s the best attitude to have.

Quote Originally Posted by Jesse-James View Post
    Why the .... did they change Betsy in a black woman in Mystery of Madripoor #4?? It really does not make ant sense.
    No one said that ...

What if they turned Betsy into a malice type being that requires a host body and can transfer herself into various corpses