Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Are Hellion & X-23 Truely over each other?

It was the Winter of 2011 when Marjorie Liu crushed Hellion/X-23 fans hearts when she "broke" them up in issue #19 of her X-23 run. And then she pissed them off with how she threw Hellion under the bus in the next issue but that's a rant that's been to death. Now it is the end of April in the year 2015, the Marvel Universe as we know is set to be reborn. And oddly enough it seems that Laura and Julian have finally moved on. But have they really?

Last week over in Bendis' ANXM, Laura and Warren have seem to come to terms with their own "friends with benefits" or "actual relationship" dilemma by deciding to pursue a romantic relationship with one another. Warren told Laura he loved her and they smooched. Oddly enough in this week's final of the Spider-Man and the X-Men, Julian and Iara dos Santos (Shark Girl) smooched and became an item. So it seems like the two have moved on...but have they really? Perhaps their current relationships are them trying to cope by settling for a less superior version of who they really love? Let's consider the following

If you break it down Julian and Warren are pretty similar archetypes and personalities. Rich pretty boys who act like a dick more often than not. Though in the case of Julian, he was formally rich. Though with Anole running Worthington Industries, it's possible that Warren is as poor as Julian now. Both have been self proclaimed ladies men over the course of their histories. Though it should be noted that while Warren is blonde with Wings and Julian has black hair with Telekinesis, both have the ability of flight.

On the female side of the board Laura and Iara are similar as well. Both are ladies of action. Plus they both have sharp implements as mutant powers: Teeth for Iara and claws for Laura. These give off an aura of savageness and power, two attributes that Julian admitted he found very attractive. Though while Laura's fighting style originally not that savage, Avengers Arena and ANXM seems to have erased that from her. And while we could debate the savagery of Laura's current fighting style, there is no doubt that Laura gives off an aura of power. And let's not mention their names are similar as well, to the point that Iara has been called Laura on more than occasion.

So have Julian and Laura moved on? I'll leave that up too you!
    Captain, in Order to build a better world, sometimes means tearing the old one down... And that makes enemies.

For better or for worse, that ship has sailed. Let's look to the future...assuming any of the X-Kids actually has one post-SW.

Quote Originally Posted by Anduinel View Post
    For better or for worse, that ship has sailed. Let's look to the future...assuming any of the X-Kids actually has one post-SW.
    They are over each other until a writer decides otherwise (and if so it will probably be one with more nostalgia than ability, if current trends hold).
    Dark does not mean deep.

Twink from Young Avengers Assgardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    They are over each other until a writer decides otherwise.
    Ditto.

I LOVE Laura/Julian. I followed them through New X-Men, X-Force, and Laura's solo series. Years I waited, and I got my hopes up in the end. I was crushed when it didn't officially happen, but the opposite. Like, I've been super bitter about it lol! I love both characters. I loved their chemistry. That said, when I saw Laura and Warren kiss in the last ANXM issue, I said, "Good for Laura." If Warren is making her happy right now, cool. Maybe she wants to try it out. I don't blame her. No reason she shouldn't. I didn't know Julian got his smooching on though! I'll have to look into it! But same for him; he should move on, at least for now.

For me, personally, I feel like they'll wind back together at some point. Something will bring them back together, just because in my eyes it's meant to happen. It didn't, and it should; it's inevitable. (Just me being sappy.) But no matter what, I'm still waiting for them to reunite and talk it out, even if it ends in friendship. They said they were best friends at the beginning of the X-23 series; it makes me sad thinking they left things how they did. Julian was in a bad place and he really needed Laura. Maybe she didn't need him then, but come on. Leaving it so sudden and off was awful. Julian got the short stick, and not just that time. He had a rough few years there lol. So that's why I'm hoping he'll move on for now, because he shouldn't be crying over Laura.

EDIT:

And I just found this...

julian.jpg
    Last edited by Assgardian; 04-30-2015 at 10:58 AM.
    WICCANFROSTPRYDEWOLVERINEICEMANHELLIONGWENHAWKEYEMSMARVEL
    "Disappointed, Ms. Frost?" "Astonished, Ms. Pryde."
    #MutantAndProud #EmmaWasRight

BANNED

Until the next writer comes armed with canon and puts them back together. Plus there'll always be the issue of Warren going back to his time and shark girl eating Jul... just kidding. I don't know if the next writers will follow up these ships at all, but I don't mind me being separated for a while before a big reunion, and another issue is that Laura is kind of an A lister in an A list book while hellion is... hellion? If they were to appear in the same book together it'd be that Laura gets demoted to a B list book and stops hanging around with the cool kids (ANXM, they're the top selling X book, deal with it) or Julian starts showing up in ANXM as X boyfriend from time to time

BANNED

The problem is last time X and Hellion were on-panel together -- and possibly the last time they saw each other PERIOD -- they were both being a little (X) or majorly (Hellion) character-assassinated.

Since then they haven't even talked, so we frankly have no idea what they think of one another, other than Laura telling Gambit she still cares for him right after the breakup (not that you could tell from her behavior). IIRC Julian mentioned Laura in passing during one of the DOW tie-ins, but it was a commentary on Logan's plethora of teen girl sidekicks.

We need to have a scene of Laura and Julian together when they actually have a chance to TALK again.

Personally, I still like them together. Laura and Warren have issues that I find problematic (IE Archangel. Don't know HOW Laura can't still find Cosmic!Warren a bit uncomfortable having been around his Apocalypse-augmented adult self).

But yes, a lot depends on writer and editorial. If Yost got to write her again, he still ships Helix, so perhaps...
    Last edited by Ambaryerno; 04-30-2015 at 11:10 AM.

I still think that Teen Jean brainwashed them, so she can have Tyke all for herself.

It's pointless to speculate on their "real feelings" when they don't have any. They're fictional characters being written by several writers who are free to push and pull them in whatever directions they see fit and who often seem to care little for that which came before. It can be fun to try to extract information from all that data, though, but stuff like them having a "type" is coincidental if anything. Do you really think any similarities between Angel and Hellion played a factor in Bendis' decision to mash the former together with X-23? Of course not.

Personally I don't read X-23 comics for the romance, so I was thrilled when she dumped Hellion and I'll be thrilled when she's rid of Angel.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by dragonmp93 View Post
    I still think that Teen Jean brainwashed them, so she can have Tyke all for herself.
    At this point I wouldn't be surprised if teen Jean has brainwashed all of her team. She totally shipped Warren and Laura to get together, made hank forget that they even kissed, probably had more of an active role in outing iceman than we think. As for teen cyke, well she is attending the Emma Frost school of "do whatever you want with your psychic powers " so if she really wants to pursue a relationship with Tyke there's no stopping her

BANNED

Both have lost tuch with there inner character since they are not under the pen of Kyle and Yost anymore.
    Hopefully they will keep writting Amazing X-men so they can bring them in some time.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Thunder View Post
    Both have lost tuch with there inner character since they are not under the pen of Kyle and Yost anymore.
    Hopefully they will keep writting Amazing X-men so they can bring them in some time.
    I hope your right, Kyle and Yost really nailed their interactions while Liu murdered it with a rusty axe.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Hulkout42 View Post
    I hope your right, Kyle and Yost really nailed their interactions while Liu murdered it with a rusty axe.
    That's only true about the babysitting arc. X and Hellion in the Killing Dream are like two entirely different people.

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    That's only true about the babysitting arc. X and Hellion in the Killing Dream are like two entirely different people.
    Hell, Julian wasn't even that bad in the baby sitting arc....Laura was cold as ice
    Captain, in Order to build a better world, sometimes means tearing the old one down... And that makes enemies.

They sure are over each other...until it's retconned that they aren't. Such is the way for teen romantic drama and comic books.
    Le Suck it, Dolphin!

-God I am so tired.

SCOTT SUMMERS AND EMMA FROST DESERVED BETTER.

X-23's one true love is Jubilee. Hellion was only ever a fling.