Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    BANNED

Default CBR Reboot: One Year Later

Well today is April 30th and it's officially been a whole year since the old CBR was wiped out and even to this day, I still felt it was a pretty sad and upsetting time and still missed all the good feelings with the old CBR. Even if most of us has gotten over it at this point, I still kinda cannot forgive or accept having the old CBR permanently archived in public. But anyways enough of that...

Other than discussing a milestone here, what are some of your greatest memories a year ago from outside of this forum?

What happened? Why was the place reset?

A great number of sexist assholes drew some unwanted attention during a discussion about (horrors!) a female critic's piece on a Teen Titans cover. The site administrators took the opportunity to implement some rule changes designed to prevent that from happening again (after the Batgirl cover nonsense, jury's out on whether or not that worked), and rebooted the board as a symbolic gesture.
    "It's not whether you win or lose, it's whether I win or lose." - Peter David, on life

"If you can't say anything nice about someone, sit right here by me." - Alice Roosevelt Longworth, on manners

"You're much stronger than you think you are." - Superman, on humankind

All-New, All-Different Marvel Checklist

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Michael P View Post
    A great number of sexist assholes drew some unwanted attention during a discussion about (horrors!) a female critic's piece on a Teen Titans cover. The site administrators took the opportunity to implement some rule changes designed to prevent that from happening again (after the Batgirl cover nonsense, jury's out on whether or not that worked), and rebooted the board as a symbolic gesture.
    Additionally, worlds lived, worlds died, and CBR was never the same. Some members were never seen again, and others were rebooted with different histories.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

BANNED

I just miss all the cool people who have left, willingly or not, after the purge. The whole classic comics forum and a bunch of fun and funny community forum posters left for other places. Other people couldn't make it under the new rules. Most of the sexist assholes weren't really longterm members, just hit and run jerks drawn to controversy, so I don't feel like they were really punished by the board wipe because they had nothing much to lose. They just went back to Stormfront and the Chans and Free Republic and Pickup Artist and MRA forums and continued being awful. And they come back for each controversy under new names. There was a full scale GamerGate invasion recently when comics were in the news for daring to treat women like people. I recognized some of the names as people I knew to be gaters. But at least the mod staff was really good about banning them this time.

It's not all bad. Busting up the cliques a bit was good for the board. The new rules are mostly okay in theory, although I do feel the moderation favors the hit and run trolls for the same reason as before. They have no friends here and nothing to lose if they get banned, but they can easily harass and anger longtime invested members into crossing the line and getting kicked out. I'm sure they count that as a win, give a trollish chuckle, and re-register a new account.
    Last edited by Shawn Hopkins; 04-30-2015 at 01:53 PM.

Fantastic Member

And the last time someone posted a thread about the condition of this forum before and after it got deleted and he/she was banned. That's about 5 posters I want to say I've engaged or at least seen in a thread I was in as well in one month that have been banned. And they all had a year under their belt and far more posts that a hit and run poster.

Just a reminder; if this becomes a complaint-fest about the site, the mods/moderation, or other users, this thread goes away. We get that not everyone likes that the reboot happened, the new rules or how we enforce them, but if you feel that strongly about it you have other options out there.
    Conn Seanery
    CBR Forums Administrator ~ Ron Swansonite ~ Brock Samson will show us the way
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

"Hnh. Could Bowie have been a mutant?" ~Dr. Doom (Hellfire Gala 2022)

Personally, I thought rebooting the entire forum (erasing years' worth of great threads) because of some unruly posters was unnecessary, but since the dust has settled, it's been back to business as usual and a fun place to hang out.

And it's interesting that today was the anniversary. When I came here earlier today, I found everything locked and realized that I was signed out, and a banner explaining the reboot was displayed at the top of the page. That's the first time in a year that I've ever come here and found myself automatically logged out. Was weird and now that I see today was the anniversary, I wonder if it was related or something.
    Last edited by Michael24; 04-30-2015 at 10:56 PM.
    My Blog | Tumblr
    * Original Join Date: September 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Hopkins View Post
    I just miss all the cool people who have left, willingly or not, after the purge. The whole classic comics forum and a bunch of fun and funny community forum posters left for other places.
    We still exist, but when it became apparent that CBR didn't want to give us a space to do what we were doing anymore, we made our own: http://classiccomics.boards.net/forum . Though I haven't felt at home here in a long time, I hold no ill will toward the place nor its staff. I just guess it was time to part ways.

I hope it's been a great year for everyone here.

BANNED

People used to bully me and make fun of me on the old CBR so I'm happy that I could reinvent myself as the Grand Kaiser, warrior of the forgotten mountain lands

It's been fun. Toodles. Paradox's Avatar

And now we make fun of you WITH you.
    'Dox out.

"It’s cold and it’s mean-spirited and I don’t like it here anymore." - Alan Moore

"Can it, you nit!" - Violet Beauregard

"And Paradox is never correct. About anything."- Kid Omega

The Conclave group page on Primus (a work in progress)
    Champions: The Conclave (an updating Facebook Gallery)
    Decorum & Friends (A City of Heroes archive)

Here I was thinking the reset was done because the database was a little big. Colour me confused.

Bit different to back in the old days when someone just accidentally deleted it. :P

It's been fun. Toodles. Paradox's Avatar

Hee, maybe Jonah just wanted all evidence of that..."accident" destroyed.
    'Dox out.

"It’s cold and it’s mean-spirited and I don’t like it here anymore." - Alan Moore

"Can it, you nit!" - Violet Beauregard

"And Paradox is never correct. About anything."- Kid Omega

The Conclave group page on Primus (a work in progress)
    Champions: The Conclave (an updating Facebook Gallery)
    Decorum & Friends (A City of Heroes archive)

Astonishing Member PretenderNX01's Avatar

I'm more upset MySpace deleted my old blogs than CBR reset

I didn't realize it was only a year, I thought it was two years ago. Seems enough new stuff happened here to replace it all.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Paradox View Post
    And now we make fun of you WITH you.
    In the forgotten mountain lands