Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Venomous Mask View Post
    After Norman was infected with the Goblin formula, he became obsessive and evil, but beforehand, there was clear evidence that Norman was not the most loving father, as seen in Amazing Spiderman #40. He wasn't bad, but quite aloof. In The Revenge of the Green Goblin, they showed the death of Norman's wife sapped alot of his ability to love his son (ironically, Eddie Brock had an almost identical childhood).
    Been a while since I went through the stories, so maybe some of the details elude me. But Harry and Norman were close. And it is very much written that they never were post-Clone Saga.

And the evil certainly wasn't there until the Goblin. The character was written as a Jekyll and Hyde.

Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

Yes, Post "Revelations" Norman Osborn is pure, unadulterated evil.

But he was actually quite sympathetic up until his death. I find that more in keeping with the kind of world Peter Parker lives in--or at least, the one he did up until the mid 90s. Norman was basically the equivalent of the hopeless alcoholic father, alternating between rage and remorse. Peter was able to stop him once by showing him Harry in a drugged out state, and in the end, it was Norman's desire to 'avenge' Peter and the gang's perceived slights toward Harry that caused him to go off the deep end the final time.

I don't think Harry messing with the chemicals makes much sense considering the formula also explodes on Lefty much later. Unless Roddy messed with the chemicals there or something...

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spectacular Radio View Post
    Uh huh, all before the Goblin. Great, great father, and very good man.

ASM040_05.jpg
    ASM040_06.jpg
    Those pages are glorious and bring me back to a time when comics took more than 5 minutes to read. Those two pages contain more words than entire issues of today's comics and cost 50 times less and it makes me sad

End of nostalgia. I guess that's why I read only a handful of books these days. Comics are just not worth the money any more no matter how much I love them.
    Last edited by DennisTheMenace; 05-02-2015 at 05:01 AM.

If I recall, Harry's role was mentioned in a Spider-Man annual (Spectacular Spider-Man Annual #14?)

Spiderfan had a review.

http://www.spiderfan.org/comics/revi...nnual/014.html

At the time, Harry and Norman were considered dead, so it wasn't a story meant to have major ramifications for those guys. It didn't fit later plans for Norman.

In continuity, the information came from a suspect source (Harry's diary) so even a writer aware of the story can choose to ignore the relatively obscure story.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by Spectacular Radio View Post
    Uh huh, all before the Goblin. Great, great father, and very good man.

ASM040_05.jpg
    ASM040_06.jpg
    I'll admit some of the timeline is probably hazy in my memory. But there is still the stuff there about Harry and Norman being close.

There were also some flashbacks showing some of this somewhere.

The Stromm stuff was always a bit undecided on Marvel's part it seems. In reality, it's not discretionary whether or not to turn someone in for embezzlement if you run a chartered corporation.

I remember awhile back when someone said the older Handbooks said the original Green Goblin possessed no superhuman powers, but it's sorta implied in his origin with the "stronger, tougher" stuff. Does anyone know when it was first revealed the Green Goblin actually had superhuman strength?