Default DC Reading order?

Hello

I wanna start reading DC Comics but there are just so many, where do I start?

I know there are New 52 Volumes or whatever that is? Is that like a remastered version? I don't know I'm just confused, I really want to start reading the comics haha.

What are the main ones I have to read? Please help me
    Last edited by AAXL98; 05-26-2015 at 03:45 PM.

Can start with the collection Justice League 1 Origin by Geoff Johns and Jim Lee.

It would help if you could be a bit more specific as to what characters or aspects of the DCU you're interested in.
    Action Comics, Batman, Green Lantern, Justice League, Superman

Quote Originally Posted by Sinestro View Post
    It would help if you could be a bit more specific as to what characters or aspects of the DCU you're interested in.
    I'm interested in Catwoman, Batman, Robin, Joker and Batgirl.

Should I start reading from the new 52? since that's a new start for the series?

Do you mind explaining everything, I've never been this confused this much about a comic series before.
    Last edited by AAXL98; 05-26-2015 at 03:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AhmedAliGHZ View Post
    I'm interested in Catwoman, Batman, Robin, Joker and Batgirl.
    Should I start reading from the new 52? since that's a new start for the series?
    do you mind explaining everything, I've never been this confused this much about a comic series before... haha
    Given you're mainly interested in the Bat-verse characters, you may want to ask this question in the Batman forum. 2 story arcs in particular are focused on the Joker, 'Death of the Family' and 'Endgame', which has just concluded.

Having said that, you can't go wrong reading the New 52 Batman title from the start. It's excellent all the way through.

I've never read the Catwoman title, but I understand it has been mixed to poor for much of the run....not sure what it's like now.

I've never Batgirl either, so can't comment.

For Robin, you can read the first few arcs of Batman and Robin, but I'd also suggest looking at Batman Inc. But that that title, you're best to read the pre-New 52 run and the New 52 run, as they are essentially 2 parts of a larger story.
    Last edited by Sinestro; 04-30-2015 at 05:31 PM.

Given you're mainly interested in the Bat-verse characters, you may want to ask this question in the Batman forum. 2 story arcs in particular are focused on the Joker, 'Death of the Family' and 'Endgame', which has just concluded.

Having said that, you can't go wrong reading the New 52 Batman title from the start. It's excellent all the way through.

I've never read the Catwoman title, but I understand it has been mixed to poor for much of the run....not sure what it's like now.

I've never Batgirl either, so can't comment.

For Robin, you can read the first few arcs of Batman and Robin, but I'd also suggest looking at Batman Inc. But that that title, you're best to read the pre-New 52 run and the New 52 run, as they are essentially 2 parts of a larger story.
    I'm going to follow this reading order http://www.readingorders.com/Batman/TheCourtOfOwls

Do I read the Other batman volumes after that reading order?
    Last edited by AAXL98; 05-26-2015 at 03:46 PM.

Take a look through this thread on the Batman forum: http://community.comicbookresources....-Recent-Events

Take a look through this thread on the Batman forum: http://community.comicbookresources....-Recent-Events
    I wanna keep it simple.

I wanna read Batman, Batgirl, Batwoman, Catwoman and Batman and Robin. Do I need to read the other Batmanverse titles? if not? How do I start reading these comics I mentioned? I can't find a proper reading order that makes sense

Batman (get this from the beginning, issue 0-current. Finding the single issues will be difficult because the book is so popular but finding them all in trade, or digitally if you're into that, will be your best and easiest bet.)

Batgirl. ***ONLY** pick up the current run starting at issue 35. You can skip everything before it, and in fact I would recommend that you do. The run prior to the current one, simply put, wasn't that good. The current creative team, however, has made this book a lot of fun.

Batwoman. This book has been canceled but if you want to read it, I would suggest only reading the initial run by the first creative team, JH Williams III and W. Haden Blackman. It goes from issue 0 to the early or mid 20s and should be easy to find in trade.

Catwoman. As with Batgirl, I would strongly recommend beginning at issue 35 and ignore everything that came before it, which is some of the worst comic stories ever written, IMO. The current writer though is pretty good so you should give it a shot.

Robin. There are so many Robins but they're some of the best characters in the Batbooks. The current Robin, Damian Wayne, is featured in Batman & Robin and Batman Incorporated (vol.2). Read those. Then in June Damian is getting his own ongoing book. For the first ever Robin, Dick Grayson, his ongoing book, "Grayson", is fantastic and you should get it, but before you start it read the Forever Evil event (just get the main FE series, and don't worry about all the many tie-ins). However, to fully understand FE, you probably should read Trinity War. Both trades should be easily located. Also with Dick was his Nightwing series which was good. Tim Drake is the third Robin. He doesn't currently have his own book, but he is in the current Teen Titans (vol.2) book that just started. It's enjoyable. Whatever you do, don't read any Tim Drake stories written by Scott Lobdell because they're awful. Jason Todd was the second Robin. He will have a new book in June but it's written by Lobdell, so..meh.

Okay. So if you're going by trades, here's what I would suggest in roughly this order (somebody correct me if I leave anything out):

--Batman, Vol 4: Zero Year: Secret City
    --Batman, Vol 5: Zero Year: Dark City
    --Justice League, Vol. 1: Origin (centers on the Justice League but features Batman heavily. You don't necessarily need to read the other JL stories but I would suggest this one if for no other reason than to establish Bruce as a member of the team...plus I recommend this book as a starter book for anyone looking to get into DC).
    --Batman & Robin, Vol. 1: Born to Kill
    --Detective Comics, Vol. 1: Faces of Death (It's not the best book but it establishes an aspect about the Joker important for later stories. Not including other Detective trades as they're all pretty mediocre.)
    --Red Hoods and the Outlaws, Vol. 1: REDemption (I'm only including this first volume to give you a feel for where Jason Todd, the former Robin, is at right now, but it's not really NECESSARY if you want to skip it completely.)
    --Batman, Vol. 1: The Court of Owls
    --Nightwing, Vol. 1: Traps & Trapezes
    --Nightwing, Vol 2: Night of the Owls
    --Batman, Vol 2: The City of Owls
    --Batman & Robin, Vol. 2: Pearl
    --Batwoman, Vol. 1: Hydrology
    --Batwoman, Vol 2: To Drown the World
    --Batwoman, Vol 3: World's Finest
    --Nightwing, Vol 3: Death of the Family
    --Batman, Vol 3: Death of the Family
    --Batman & Robin, Vol 3: Death of the Family
    --Batwoman, Vol 4: This Blood is Thick
    --Nightwing, Vol 4: Second City
    --Batman, Incorporated, Vol. 1: Demon Star
    --Batman, Incorporated, Vol. 2: Gotham's Most Wanted
    --Batman & Robin, Vol 4: Requiem For Damian
    --Nightwing, Vol 5: Setting Son
    --Justice League: Trinity War
    --Forever Evil
    --Batman & Robin, Vol 5: The Big Burn
    --Justice League, Vol 6: Injustice League
    --Batman, Vol 6 (comes out May 5)
    --Batman & Robin, Vol 6: The Hunt For Robin (out June 30)
    --Grayson, Vol 1 (out July 7)
    --Batman Eternal, Vol 1
    --Batman Eternal, Vol 2 (out July 14)
    --Batgirl, Vol 6 (out June 2)
    --Catwoman, Vol 6 (out August 4)
    --Teen Titans, Vol 1: Blinded By the Light (out August 11)

In case you aren't familiar, DC rebooted all their characters in 2011. Everything prior to that isn't really considered canon anymore, although there are many stories in which the basic events still occurred in one way or another.

If you're interested here's a list of stories that still "matter." Just keep in mind that while the events still took place, these specific books aren't in the current DC continuity anymore, at least not exactly as they're depicted in these trades. I would read them all after the Justice League Origin trade.

Batman: The Killing Joke (Batgirl crippled by the Joker)
    Batman: A Death in the Family (death of Jason Todd)
    Batman: Hush (introduction of Hush, who is a major player in Eternal)
    Batman: Under the Red Hood (return of Jason Todd)
    Batman and Son (introduction of Damian Wayne)
    Batman and Robin: Batman Reborn (Dick Grayson as Batman with Damian as Robin)
    Batman, Incorporated Volume 1
    Flashpoint (You don't really have to read this, but this is the event that transitioned the old DCU into the New 52.)

Mighty Member

Either read classic Batman, or new 52 Batman. And do so by trade paper backs. They're easy to come by, and if you find them to your liking you could then buy hardcover (either reg. HC, Deluxe or Absolute)

What I call classical Batman are the books Year one, Long halloween, Dark victory and Dark Knight returns. Through these you get a sense of beginning, middle and ending. Year one how Batman begins, Long halloween and Dark Victory being one story and builds upon year one and then Dark Knight Returns taking place years later when a retired Batman makes a comeback.

Year one http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/140...f_rd_i=desktop
    Long halloween http://www.amazon.com/Batman-Long-Ha...long+halloween
    Dark Victory http://www.amazon.com/Batman-Dark-Vi...s=dark+victory
    Dark Knight returns http://www.amazon.com/Batman-Knight-...knight+returns

Or I'd suggest you read the Scott Snyder Batman books. They're a fresh start. A retelling of Batman, and are collected in the following books:
    Vol.1: Court of owls
    Vol.2: City of owls
    Vol.3: Death of the family
    Vol.4: Zero Year-Secret City
    Vol.5: Zero Year-Dark City
    Vol.7: Endgame (either wait for the collection or read New52 Batman #35-40)

Reason why I suggest you skip on vol.6: Graveyard shift is because it builds upon stuff from Grant Morrison's 7 year long Batman epic (which everything but simple to read. Making 70 years of Batman stories canon and being all meta about it) and also Batman eternal (which is over issues long). It's sort of a bridge between Scott Snyder's Batman, Grant Morrison's Batman and Batman eternal. Myself, I don't see the point. I rather keep the titles separate.

If you come to like Batman, then perhaps Grant Morrison's Batman epic could be of interest. It should IMO be read as it's own thing, with a great deal of patience about very weird (and potentially druggy) concepts. There's everything from "three ghosts of batman", Batman getting a clone son (since all his Robins looks like him.) with the world greatest criminal. And there's also -ehem- Batcow. Not to mention time travel and the use of Jack Kirby's New Gods. Basically a real trip, but not for everyone.

Black Case book (a compilation of bizarre Batman stories Morrison uses as inspiration for his epic.)
    Batman and Son (the one collecting that also collects the black glow)
    Batman R.I.P
    Final Crisis (If you're up for it. Not the easiest book to get into, and skippable thanks to Time and the batman)
    Time and the Batman
    The return of Bruce Wayne
    Batman and Robin vol.1: Reborn
    Batman and Robin vo.2: Batman vs Robin
    Batman and Robin vol.3: Batman & Robin must die!
    Batman incorporated (pre new 52 collection.)
    New 52 Batman incorporated vol.1: Demon star
    New 52 Batman incorporated vol.2: Gotham's most wanted

And make no mistake. There are plenty of more Batman stories. Easiest just to find a writer you like, and follow his or her's stories.

And other than Batman, I'd totally suggest the new 52 Wonder Woman by Brian Azzarello and Cliff Chiang. Read volume 1-6 (Blood, Guts, Iron, War, Flesh and Bones) you get a full story, with no cross overs or any of such. It's one big storyline, each issue being a chapter. A greek nightmare epic with some really good points and tear inducing scenes. While quite very cheeky and weird (there's alot of puns. Almost feeling poetic) it's also quite grim, staying very true to greek mythology. But it also manages to make Wonder Woman's mercy very bad ass. And not only is the storytelling clever, the art is also really good. Cliff Chiang (Who handles most of the book) simply is one of the best in the biz!

Last edited by borntohula; 05-01-2015 at 11:45 AM.

I second the Azzarello Wonder Woman recommendation. It was thoroughly enjoyable the best thing I've read from DC in the last four or so years.

Quote Originally Posted by brandnewfan View Post
    Batman (get this from the beginning, issue 0-current. Finding the single issues will be difficult because the book is so popular but finding them all in trade, or digitally if you're into that, will be your best and easiest bet.)

Batgirl. ***ONLY** pick up the current run starting at issue 35. You can skip everything before it, and in fact I would recommend that you do. The run prior to the current one, simply put, wasn't that good. The current creative team, however, has made this book a lot of fun.

Batwoman. This book has been canceled but if you want to read it, I would suggest only reading the initial run by the first creative team, JH Williams III and W. Haden Blackman. It goes from issue 0 to the early or mid 20s and should be easy to find in trade.

Catwoman. As with Batgirl, I would strongly recommend beginning at issue 35 and ignore everything that came before it, which is some of the worst comic stories ever written, IMO. The current writer though is pretty good so you should give it a shot.

Robin. There are so many Robins but they're some of the best characters in the Batbooks. The current Robin, Damian Wayne, is featured in Batman & Robin and Batman Incorporated (vol.2). Read those. Then in June Damian is getting his own ongoing book. For the first ever Robin, Dick Grayson, his ongoing book, "Grayson", is fantastic and you should get it, but before you start it read the Forever Evil event (just get the main FE series, and don't worry about all the many tie-ins). However, to fully understand FE, you probably should read Trinity War. Both trades should be easily located. Also with Dick was his Nightwing series which was good. Tim Drake is the third Robin. He doesn't currently have his own book, but he is in the current Teen Titans (vol.2) book that just started. It's enjoyable. Whatever you do, don't read any Tim Drake stories written by Scott Lobdell because they're awful. Jason Todd was the second Robin. He will have a new book in June but it's written by Lobdell, so..meh.

Okay. So if you're going by trades, here's what I would suggest in roughly this order (somebody correct me if I leave anything out):

--Batman, Vol 4: Zero Year: Secret City
    --Batman, Vol 5: Zero Year: Dark City
    --Justice League, Vol. 1: Origin (centers on the Justice League but features Batman heavily. You don't necessarily need to read the other JL stories but I would suggest this one if for no other reason than to establish Bruce as a member of the team...plus I recommend this book as a starter book for anyone looking to get into DC).
    --Batman & Robin, Vol. 1: Born to Kill
    --Detective Comics, Vol. 1: Faces of Death (It's not the best book but it establishes an aspect about the Joker important for later stories. Not including other Detective trades as they're all pretty mediocre.)
    --Red Hoods and the Outlaws, Vol. 1: REDemption (I'm only including this first volume to give you a feel for where Jason Todd, the former Robin, is at right now, but it's not really NECESSARY if you want to skip it completely.)
    --Batman, Vol. 1: The Court of Owls
    --Nightwing, Vol. 1: Traps & Trapezes
    --Nightwing, Vol 2: Night of the Owls
    --Batman, Vol 2: The City of Owls
    --Batman & Robin, Vol. 2: Pearl
    --Batwoman, Vol. 1: Hydrology
    --Batwoman, Vol 2: To Drown the World
    --Batwoman, Vol 3: World's Finest
    --Nightwing, Vol 3: Death of the Family
    --Batman, Vol 3: Death of the Family
    --Batman & Robin, Vol 3: Death of the Family
    --Batwoman, Vol 4: This Blood is Thick
    --Nightwing, Vol 4: Second City
    --Batman, Incorporated, Vol. 1: Demon Star
    --Batman, Incorporated, Vol. 2: Gotham's Most Wanted
    --Batman & Robin, Vol 4: Requiem For Damian
    --Nightwing, Vol 5: Setting Son
    --Justice League: Trinity War
    --Forever Evil
    --Batman & Robin, Vol 5: The Big Burn
    --Justice League, Vol 6: Injustice League
    --Batman, Vol 6 (comes out May 5)
    --Batman & Robin, Vol 6: The Hunt For Robin (out June 30)
    --Grayson, Vol 1 (out July 7)
    --Batman Eternal, Vol 1
    --Batman Eternal, Vol 2 (out July 14)
    --Batgirl, Vol 6 (out June 2)
    --Catwoman, Vol 6 (out August 4)
    --Teen Titans, Vol 1: Blinded By the Light (out August 11)
    Thank you so much dude! This really helped.