Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Alias (Jessica Jones) and Ultimate Spider-Man are worse that Johns' worst? I find that hard to believe.
    Add the Bendis Daredevil run.

I’ve not read any of Geoff John’s output for years…but a few times I’ve picked up a few of his recent trade paperbacks in libraries and bookshops when I’ve had ten minutes to kill, and flicked through the pages. Gob smacked at amount of big splash pages, paucity of dialogue, etc…not sure why anyone would pay present day comic prices for such slender story content.

I’m sure Geoff J must be doing something right…he sells a lot of comics (by todays standards!)…but honestly one of my least favourite writers.

Extraordinary Member

Alias (Jessica Jones) and Ultimate Spider-Man are worse that Johns' worst? I find that hard to believe.
    That's because it's unbelievable.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Yeah I gotta call bullshit on that as well. The New 52 Justice League origin (which isn't Johns' worst) nearly put me to sleep.

Ultimate Member

Probably because you were admiring how Bendis was cribbing from Spidey's history to overlook the lack of development in his characters or often basic logic (like Moon Knight bringing down Kingpin by acting as a school shooter).

As for Alias, I'm at a loss as to why that was well received, given that Jessica largely ended the series where she began. His follow up series, Pulse, has been utterly forgotten because he couldn't use profanity and couldn't plot a mystery to save his life.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Diamond View Post
    When Johns writes anything like The Invisibles, Zenith, or Flex Mentallo then I'll start putting him in the same sentence as Grant Morrison. Everything that fans online hate about Brian Michael Bendis that is what Geoff Johns is.
    Johns at least had Jason shoot a Joker. If nothing else. His work on Stargirl series has set it apart from the usual CW crap.
    Bendis pretty much erased one of my favorite characters for a bland, older teen/young adult whose sole defining attribute thus far, is his sexuality (and no, Tom Taylor did not help).

Extremely hard to believe, people let Bendis hate cloud their judgement every single time.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    Probably because you were admiring how Bendis was cribbing from Spidey's history to overlook the lack of development in his characters or often basic logic (like Moon Knight bringing down Kingpin by acting as a school shooter).

As for Alias, I'm at a loss as to why that was well received, given that Jessica largely ended the series where she began. His follow up series, Pulse, has been utterly forgotten because he couldn't use profanity and couldn't plot a mystery to save his life.
    I don’t think the point of Alias was to leave Jessica “in a different place” at the end of the series, but rather to explain the background of why she became the person we met at the start of the series. (i.e. Why was the brave, intelligent woman we saw do nothing but good full of self loathing and doubt?). I thought that story (“Why did Jessica become this way?”) was told well.

But if you think the only point of story telling is to develop characters doesn’t most of modern DC output fail to satisfy you? How did Geoff John’s work on Superman develop that character? What worthwhile new additions did he add to Superman mythos?

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post
    I don’t think the point of Alias was to leave Jessica “in a different place” at the end of the series, but rather to explain the background of why she became the person we met at the start of the series. (i.e. Why was the brave, intelligent woman we saw do nothing but good full of self loathing and doubt?). I thought that story (“Why did Jessica become this way?”) was told well.

But if you think the only point of story telling is to develop characters doesn’t most of modern DC output fail to satisfy you? How did Geoff John’s work on Superman develop that character? What worthwhile new additions did he add to Superman mythos?
    I seem to recall him adding the idea of Superman having a superpowered son (adopted at first...)

What series did Bendis ever develop? Where he added to the mythos?

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    I seem to recall him adding the idea of Superman having a superpowered son (adopted at first...)

Bendis created all new characters for the series Powers…which did incredibly well for a series featuring characters with no pre-existing fan base. Jessica in Alias was an original creation. He subtly amended parts of the Spider-man mythos in the Ultimate run…for example making Kitty Pryde Peter’s girl friend…and (of course) introducing a new Spider-Man towards the end of his run. In addition towards start of his career he did some original crime series.

I thought Dan Jurgens and Lee Weeks created Jonathan Samuel Kent back in 2015…did Geoff J create a son before that?

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post

What did he do for Cyborg or John Stewart would be a bigger question.

How did Cyborg benefit under Johns?
    How did John Stewart benefit? Not enough to NOT have his Johns created replacements show up.
    How did Shazam benefit? Firestorm?

Excluding Hal, Flash and JSA-who else benefitted under Johns?

Jinx
    Powers
    Brilliant
    Scarlet
    Takio
    The United States of Murder Inc.

Ultimate Nick Fury
    Maria Hill
    Daisy Johnson
    White Tiger (Angela del Toro)
    Jessica Jones
    Miles Morales
    Riri Williams
    Naomi McDuffie

He added 4 tv shows and an Oscar winning movie with Miles and Peter and Gwen.
    Toss in Powers that is 5 and Scarlet & Jinx sniffed movie options.