Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Default Between Geoff Johns and Grant Morrison: Who's the better DC writer ?

Between Geoff Johns and Grant Morrison who have written their fair share of DC Comics and heroes, which of the two have done it the best when it came to the Trinity of the DC Comics and the Multiverse ?

Who respected the DC mythos the best ?

Who was the better event writer that work make the most sense to the readers ?

Honestly after all the work and delays these two have often caused, which is the better DC writer to you ?

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

There really isn't a "better" on any level but personal call, but as far as the specific questions go...

Quote Originally Posted by Cmbmool View Post
    which of the two have done it the best when it came to the Trinity of the DC Comics and the Multiverse ?
    For me, it's Morrison, even if he doesn't treat "the trinity" as a trinity (even World War III climaxed with a trinity of men-who-lost-their-worlds, Superman, J'onn, and Batman).

Who respected the DC mythos the best ?
    I suppose they both do, inasmuch as it needs respecting.

Who was the better event writer that work make the most sense to the readers ?
    I enjoy Morrison's "events" more than Johns'. And, in general, the mechanics of his stories and the "truth" of behavior seems more believable to me.

Honestly after all the work and delays these two have often caused, which is the better DC writer to you ?
    I'm clearly in the Morrison camp, but that doesn't mean Johns is bad. His work has just never thrilled me much, even though it is sometimes very enjoyable to me in the moment.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

It would be Morrison for me.
    Nothing Johns has done has got me as excited as I was during Seven Soldiers.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Both are incredible its really hard but I'd have to go with Johns for simplicity because sometimes Morrison's meta madness gets out of hand.
    Favorite Characters : Cyborg, Hal Jordan, Simon Baz, Tula, Mera ,Bleez, Shazam, Wonder Woman, Agent 37 , Batman, Kon El, Atomica.

I love Legacy but you have to change things up to keep them from going stale - Jason Fabok

Twitter : @Flashpoint52

Astonishing Member FanboyStranger's Avatar

Easily Morrison for me. I can't say that I always like Grant's regular superhero work, but I respect that he's usually trying to do something different with them. Johns is just boilerplate to me.
    Last edited by FanboyStranger; 04-30-2015 at 10:45 PM.

Empty is thy hand!

That's like asking if you prefer Coca-Cola or pizza.

The two don't compare.

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

I laughed out loud in real life looking at the title.

I'm, uh, I'm going with Morrison here.
    Buh-bye

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BruceWayneJr. View Post
    That's like asking if you prefer Coca-Cola or pizza.

The two don't compare.
    Well, yes, they do. And, if you're in a restaurant, you better know which one you're ordering.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

Johns' twitter > Morrison's comics > Johns' comics
    BB

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

I like both but I seem to like more of Johns' work than Morrison's.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Morrison is better comic writer in general, but as DC writer, sometimes Johns can be better.

BANNED

Okay, let me explain why I prefer Johns over Morrison. I prefer johns for the straight forward simplicity of the events and characters. With Johns you'll know what you're getting yourself into.

Unlike Morrison, who requires more thinking and some aspirin pill or two to understand and enjoy his long plotted delayed work that is sometimes a mess when it's done and creates headaches for any reader to understand if they don't have an extended knowledge of the history of DC.

Astonishing Member AlexanderLuthor's Avatar

I like both for completely different reasons - Morrison the great story weaver where something on Pg.3 #1 comes back up as a theme throughout, where everything is meta even when it's not, where every line has the potential of meaning. Meanwhile, Johns is IMHO one of the best straight-forward superhero writers ever. He revived JSA, Green Lantern, Aquaman - all classic runs - and seems able to take DC history and shape it into something even more interesting

BANNED

Geoff for me He was able to make Aquaman badass,made sinestro a compelling character,And pretty much. Carried the Dc u the last decade.

Spectacular Member

Morrison hands down. Morrison is far more technically sophisticated than Johns. Don't get me wrong, I really enjoy Johns, but for the most part, his work is strait-forward, popcorn blockbuster material. Morrison writes the comic book equivalent of literary fiction, while Johns writes a great pop fiction. Both are fantastic writers, and I will admit that Johns is WAY more accessible the Morrison. Nevertheless, Johns has yet to achieve the same level of sophistication found in Morrison's material.