Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    BANNED

Default Between Geoff Johns and Grant Morrison: Who's the better DC writer ?

Between Geoff Johns and Grant Morrison who have written their fair share of DC Comics and heroes, which of the two have done it the best when it came to the Trinity of the DC Comics and the Multiverse ?

Who respected the DC mythos the best ?

Who was the better event writer that work make the most sense to the readers ?

Honestly after all the work and delays these two have often caused, which is the better DC writer to you ?

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

There really isn't a "better" on any level but personal call, but as far as the specific questions go...

Quote Originally Posted by Cmbmool View Post
    which of the two have done it the best when it came to the Trinity of the DC Comics and the Multiverse ?
    For me, it's Morrison, even if he doesn't treat "the trinity" as a trinity (even World War III climaxed with a trinity of men-who-lost-their-worlds, Superman, J'onn, and Batman).

I suppose they both do, inasmuch as it needs respecting.

I enjoy Morrison's "events" more than Johns'. And, in general, the mechanics of his stories and the "truth" of behavior seems more believable to me.

Honestly after all the work and delays these two have often caused, which is the better DC writer to you ?
    I'm clearly in the Morrison camp, but that doesn't mean Johns is bad. His work has just never thrilled me much, even though it is sometimes very enjoyable to me in the moment.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

It would be Morrison for me.
    Nothing Johns has done has got me as excited as I was during Seven Soldiers.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Both are incredible its really hard but I'd have to go with Johns for simplicity because sometimes Morrison's meta madness gets out of hand.
    Favorite Characters : Cyborg, Hal Jordan, Simon Baz, Tula, Mera ,Bleez, Shazam, Wonder Woman, Agent 37 , Batman, Kon El, Atomica.

I love Legacy but you have to change things up to keep them from going stale - Jason Fabok

Twitter : @Flashpoint52

Astonishing Member FanboyStranger's Avatar

Easily Morrison for me. I can't say that I always like Grant's regular superhero work, but I respect that he's usually trying to do something different with them. Johns is just boilerplate to me.
    Last edited by FanboyStranger; 04-30-2015 at 10:45 PM.

Empty is thy hand!

That's like asking if you prefer Coca-Cola or pizza.

The two don't compare.

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

I laughed out loud in real life looking at the title.

I'm, uh, I'm going with Morrison here.
    Buh-bye

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BruceWayneJr. View Post
    That's like asking if you prefer Coca-Cola or pizza.

The two don't compare.
    Well, yes, they do. And, if you're in a restaurant, you better know which one you're ordering.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

Quote Originally Posted by Sirzechs View Post
    Both are incredible its really hard but I'd have to go with Johns for simplicity because sometimes Morrison's meta madness gets out of hand.
    This. 10 char.
    - We were the BEST, Richard. No matter what anyone thinks. - Damian Wayne.

Green Lantern Spanish Fan Site HERE

BANNED

Between Geoff Johns and Grant Morrison who have written their fair share of DC Comics and heroes,
    which of the two have done it the best when it came to the Trinity of the DC Comics and the Multiverse ?
    The Trinity: ...I am hesitant at this moment to say Johns when dealing with the Trinity as a whole entity (all three together), but only because Morrison hasn't really let himself loose on Wonder Woman in anything published yet. By his own admission he didn't really know what to do with her back when he wrote JLA. Johns however did a hatchet job on Diana in his early JL stories, but he appears to be making up for it recently and seems poised to put her front and center in Darkseid War. The Trinity treated individually however Morrison takes the prize with better stories written for Batman (Black Glove, RIP, Arkham Asylum) and Superman (All-Star Superman, Action Comics) than Johns' Batman: Earth One and mini-stint on Superman.

The Multiverse: Morrison, easilly, because he actually uses it while Johns so far has been content with it just sort of being out there but with minimal contact or influence on the main DC Earth (see what the post Infinite Crisis did with the restored Multiverse? Nothing but provide something for Prime to destroy)

Morrison, he dives into w/e mythos he happens to be writing on and digs out obscure characters, stories, events and items, polishes them off and incorporates them into his current story. Johns on the other hand tends to play with mythos when it suits him, but he snaps it in half if it gets in the way of his vision.

Johns nearly wins this just by being the more simplistic writer in general, despite most of his events being close to rubbish. Morrison however just makes his events more epic in scope.

Final Crisis~Multiversity>Blackest Night, Flashpoint, Infinite Crisis, Forever Evil

Morrison, because he isn't disruptive and destructive.

I avoid Morrison "events" like Final Crisis and Multiversity, but I enjoyed his work on Batman / Batman Incorporated.

I haven't enjoyed ANYTHING by Geoff Johns in about four or five years. He trashed Barry Allen by re-writing his history so he's another angsty "somebody killed my Mommy!" character because I guess it's too hard to write characters who had normal, happy childhoods. His approach to arcs has become:
    * good-to-great start
    * tread water in the middle
    * lose interest and have an inconclusive non-ending that jump-stats the next meaningless arc

Do I really need to say more?