Super Moderator

Default "Barb Wire" Returns to Dark Horse with Kickass, Satirical Reboot

Writer Chris Warner returns to "Barb Wire" after a lengthy absence and discusses the character's "awe-inspiring, life-affirming, low-carb merits."

Full article here.

♥♥عابث سولاناس♥♥ Park Slope Pixie's Avatar

are her bootcut mom jeans supposed to be satirical?

Fantastic Member

Barb Wire and Catwoman (only member of the Batfamily I'd like to see a crossover with) or Wonder Woman! lol..just don't do Barb Wire/Aliens!

How trite can they get with this? That wasn't comedy....that was cliche.

Despite what Warner says, I still feel like this title needs to be able shake of any remaining stigma from She-of-Baywatch-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named. I'll be picking this one up to see how it shakes out.
    Pull List: The Black Hammer, Bitch Planet, Copperhead, Hellboy/BPRD, Monstress, Ms. Marvel, Southern Cross

Twitter: @JavasaurusRex

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Javasaurus View Post
    Despite what Warner says, I still feel like this title needs to be able shake of any remaining stigma from She-of-Baywatch-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named. I'll be picking this one up to see how it shakes out.
    kind of depends on how tight her top is on how it shakes out.

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonRain666 View Post
    kind of depends on how tight her top is on how it shakes out.
    That sounds like the kind of reply my wife would make; and I mean that in a positive, life-affirming, low-carb way.
    Pull List: The Black Hammer, Bitch Planet, Copperhead, Hellboy/BPRD, Monstress, Ms. Marvel, Southern Cross

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonRain666 View Post
    Barb Wire and Catwoman (only member of the Batfamily I'd like to see a crossover with) or Wonder Woman! lol..just don't do Barb Wire/Aliens!
    Are you trying to kill this new Barb Wire off before it even gets going? Cat Woman and WW for crying out loud? The difference between the three is that BW is the cool one and the other two are just lame.

Quote Originally Posted by alton View Post
    Are you trying to kill this new Barb Wire off before it even gets going? Cat Woman and WW for crying out loud? The difference between the three is that BW is the cool one and the other two are just lame.
    I wouldn't go so far as to label Catwoman and Wonder Woman as lame; but I do think you've raised a good point. This series hasn't even landed on the shelves, but the idea of crossovers is already springing up. Yes, it's best to let this series come out of the gate and get running under its own merits.

That's one of the things that I've enjoyed about Dark Horse's approach to the super hero genre: they don't go crazy with the crossovers. When it does happen, it feels like a bonus IMO.

BANNED

This looks/sounds like it might have some fun potential. I've always thought Olliffe was an under-rated artist, and I like what Warner had to say in the interview about the approach they're taking.

Danger Doll in pink! Chickfighter's Avatar

I'll give it a try. The idea that a comic can actually be fun rather than overly serious or a sociopolitical statement of some sort appeals to me. I wish Warner had embraced the idea that Barb is sexy and knows it. Some of us miss that which is being pushed out of comics in recent years. And it is not as if it's impossible for a woman to be cool and clever while being visually appealing (Yes, I mean sexy, darn it!) at the same time. At least it shouldn't be in a comic book. I'll keep fingers crossed and see how it goes.

Fantastic Member Bslythegamerguy's Avatar

Wave two of Project Black Sky kicks off here!

Rejoice Black Sky fans, there will be more to come.

This looks so great. I can't wait. I liked the first series when I read it last year. It wasn't anything special, but it was fun.
    I still miss Renee Montoya. Oh, and I'm a dude.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by alton View Post
    lol..no not really...but then again...I'd just as soon not see it cross over with any of the other Dark Horse heroes either. They tried this back when the original series was around. Dark Horse couldn't get a proper cross over going back then. Just leave them alone. I was just making the comment because I'm seeing all kinds of intercompany crossovers now. Although I have noticed that Marvel is staying away from it.