Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default REVIEW: Forever Evil, #7

"Forever Evil" #7 closes the Crime Syndicate chapter of Geoff Johns' "Justice League" story while it affords David Finch a chance to draw such things as Bizarro giving Lex Luthor a hug.

Full review here.

Astonishing Member AlexanderLuthor's Avatar

*Sigh* I give up. Given my CBR grading curve with regards to DC that means this was 3 to 3.5 stars, which seems about right. Since I was called juvenile for stating that CBR reviewers might, just might, favor some companies over others in their reviews on a consistent basis - I point you to the 3* Inhumans or 3.5* Original Sin as similar books that I think many would have a hard time arguing were superior
    Last edited by AlexanderLuthor; 05-22-2014 at 12:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AlexanderLuthor View Post
    *Sigh* I give up. Given my CBR grading curve with regards to DC that means this was 3 to 3.5 stars, which seems about right. Since I was called juvenile for stating that CBR reviewers might, just might, favor some companies over others in their reviews on a consistent basis - I point you to the 3* Inhumans or 3.5* Original Sin as books that I think many would have a hard time arguing were superior
    I would think it was at the very least a solid three though I'd give it a 3.5 to 4 myself.

Quote Originally Posted by AlexanderLuthor View Post
    *Sigh* I give up. Given my CBR grading curve with regards to DC that means this was 3 to 3.5 stars, which seems about right. Since I was called juvenile for stating that CBR reviewers might, just might, favor some companies over others in their reviews on a consistent basis - I point you to the 3* Inhumans or 3.5* Original Sin as similar books that I think many would have a hard time arguing were superior
    I think the delays factored into the rating. Like I've said, I think in trade format this is probably a very good story. The delays just killed all the momentum. If you just look at the issue (without all of the problems from delays, and the poor stories in JL or JLA) it is a really good issue that delivers a lot. It's too bad that 5 of the 7 issues were basically filler.

Quote Originally Posted by Conway View Post
    I think the delays factored into the rating. Like I've said, I think in trade format this is probably a very good story. The delays just killed all the momentum. If you just look at the issue (without all of the problems from delays, and the poor stories in JL or JLA) it is a really good issue that delivers a lot. It's too bad that 5 of the 7 issues were basically filler.
    What delays have to do with ratings? Reviewer should review end product and not when it was published or by whom it was written.

I don't pretend to understand CBR's rating system - particularly when it comes to DC reviews. I basically ignore the stars rating and see what is actually said by the reviewer...
    Action Comics, Batman, Green Lantern, Justice League, Superman

Quote Originally Posted by Sinestro View Post
    I don't pretend to understand CBR's rating system - particularly when it comes to DC reviews. I basically ignore the stars rating and see what is actually said by the reviewer...
    The problem is, in this case, the two don't match.

The review calls it satisfactory, highlighting numerous good moments, but then gives it a rating akin to "bad". Something doesn't add up there.

Spectacular Member

This was a great issue. The reviewer is crazy.

Just like IGN I rarely agree with a CBR review
    The J-man

Loved this issue, easily 3.5 stars, if not more. Does one person write the review, and another person assign stars? Cause the reviewer seemed to like the book

Spectacular Member

Justice League of America #14-----------1.5
    Forever Evil #7 ----------------------------2
    Action Comics #31-------------------------2.5
    Futures End #2----------------------------1.5
    Justice League United #1-----------------2
    Superman: Doomed #1-------------------2

This issue was great, and well worth the delay, which was due to Finch on art. I hope DC learned their lesson and don't hire him to do anymore big events.

This was at the least a 4 star issue, and that's due to the art.

CBR giving it just 2 stars is pathetic, then looking at the other rated issues in the post above me, it makes you wonder if they're giving poor reviews on purpose now, just to rile us up. Really sad.
    WHO DAT?!!

Astonishing Member AlexanderLuthor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by anarki View Post
    Justice League of America #14-----------1.5
    Forever Evil #7 ----------------------------2
    Action Comics #31-------------------------2.5
    Futures End #2----------------------------1.5
    Justice League United #1-----------------2
    Superman: Doomed #1-------------------2
    Just to add one: Sinestro #1 -------------1

And just to put that in perspective, out of the last 50 CBR reviews for Image only 3 books scored less than a 2.5 (and all of those were a 2). I'm as big a fan of Image as anyone (I probably get 15 or so of their books a month), but that is just silly as they put out some crap too. It's obviously a case of comic snobbery of the reviewers, which is ironic given that all of those creators at Image wouldn't have their own books if it wasn't for writing/drawing "stupid" superhero books at the Big 2
    Last edited by AlexanderLuthor; 05-23-2014 at 01:36 PM.

Honestly half of the Images output is same crap as Superheroes stories just that they don't "feature" superheroes. Their plot points, structure and various details are almost identical to classic superhero tropes. But because they pretend that its "real" and "mature" they gets higher ratings.