Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default What are your plans for FCBD?

For those actually taking part in Free Comic Book Day, what are your plans for the day?

I'm going with my brother. We'll hit one shop in the morning and then we're going to go see Avengers: Age of Ultron.

Then we'll hit my regular shop where I'll pick up my regular stuff plus all the FCBD books that I preordered for my Halloween box.
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

The Ithacon is tomorrow as well, so I took the night off from work tonight. Tomorrow, I will go downtown to the Ithacon at around 1:30, swing back to Comics for Collectors afterward to get whatever FCBD items they have, then I'll go pick up my g/f from work. Unfortunately, she hasn't been at her job long enough to take a day off whenever she wants. I will look for Manga that I know she likes.

because my shop is awesome, I already have my shipment for the month, including the 16 books I wanted to look at for FCBD. (I could have asked for all 50, but I only asked for what I was interested in).

so I'll likely spend tomorrow reading comics, or, more likely, going out to lunch with friends.
    A sandwich is a sandwich, but a Manwich is a meal

"Evil people can do some non-evil things, and most of them do. That doesn't mean they aren't evil." -- JeffereyWKramer

http://30.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ll...yo5eo1_400.gif

I'll be going to FCBD alone, which sucks, but I'm still looking forward to it. It's my first ever FCBD so that's exciting I'll be going to my regular shop and picking up all the titles I want to check out. From what I've heard, my shop has a policy where you get 1 free comic and additional ones are all $1, but that's not a bad deal at all, and I don't mind giving them the money because they're awesome.
    Harley Quinn, New Suicide Squad, Grayson, Batgirl, Red Sonja, The Mighty Thor, Catwoman, Bitch Planet, Secret Six, Silk, Descender, Sabrina, Archie, JLA, DC Bombshells, Black Magick, Paper Girls, Tokyo Ghost, Vampirella, Scarlet Witch, A-Force, Extraordinary X-Men, X-Men '92, The Legend of Wonder Woman, All-New Wolverine, Power Rangers, Hellcat, Monstress, Descender

I'll be at work, but I should have someone to go pick up the titles I'm interested in.

Last year I managed to make my way to the comic shop during my lunch break and the place was cleaned out! FCBD is so chaotic there that I've given up hope that the staff (usually great!) will hold a title I request. I tried that a few times and they never did!

One shop in the morning to pick up the essentials (ANADA, Secret Wars #0, Divergence). That shop has a four-issue limit, which isn't too bad. They'll also have local artists giving sketches for free and raffles, so I got that going for me. I'm planning on bringing a book and getting there early to hopefully be one of the first ones in.

Then I might hit another one that opens in the afternoon to pick up whatever I couldn't get earlier.

Then Sunday I might make a circle of the shops in the city to see what I can find that eluded me on Saturday.

I feel so lucky that I have three or four shops that I can shop at on a regular basis, but I get jealous of the people whose shops let them hold the issues they want! All of the shops I've talked to are thinking that they're going to be slammed all day long tomorrow, which is good for them but bad for people like me who have issues with crowds. Oh well.
    "Magneto, you ARE the father!"

Okay everyone, so how did your FCBD actually go for you?

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

Newbury Comics was out of everything except Divergence. I shouldn't have waited so long. I really wanted Fight Club and some Marvel stuff. Divergence was a good read, though.

I had a pretty decent day.

Got to the local Newbury Comics in time to be the fifth person in line. Waited for the store to open. I ended up grabbing five comics including three that are going to my co-worker. She wanted to read them and my regular LCS didn't get those particular titles.

Those titles were: Steampunk Goldilocks, Lady Justice and Grimm Fairy Tales Wonderland. Between my brother and I we also grabbed up Divergence and Secret Wars as well.

I picked up a couple of Doctor Who Comics for myself and a Harry Potter magnet for my mom as my extra purchases for the day.

After a quick stop at the Barnes and Noble and Subway, it was off to see Avengers: Age of Ultron. I gave it an 8 out of 10 and found it very enjoyable.

Once the movie let out, I hit New England Comics (my LCS) and picked up my weekly stash of comics. Then we got our NEC published copy of The Tick plus a couple of other freebies including I.C.E. and Mercury Heat. I also got my pre-ordered batch of FCBD issues. I ordered 150 books (10 copies per title) to give out at Halloween.

The titles included: Cleopatra In Space, Avatar The Last Airbender, The Phantom, Bongo Free For All, Tales of Honor, Boom Studios 10 Year Celebration, Sonic/Megaman, Jurassic Strike Force 5, Pokémon, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Transformers, SpongeBob, Captain Canuck, Dark Circle and Doctor Who.

I also picked up three graphic novels as my extra purchases for the day from this store. They were the last two installments of the DMZ series I've been reading and a graphic novel that I'll be giving to a young cousin as a gift.

One more quick stop on the way home and the day was done. Another successful FCBD was had!

Had a friend pick up 6 of my most wanted at my regular shop (the biggest in town): The BOOM Studios 10th anniversary sampler, Fight Club/The Goon/The Strain, Supermutant Magic Academy, Dark Circle Comics, Bob's Burgers, and TMNT.

After work I swung by a smallish shop to find a quite nice crowd, a few cosplayers, and I picked up DC's Divergence, Doctor Who, and (somehow or other) a sampler of John Stanley comics from the '60s (a FCBD issue from five years ago!).

Love the selection of books I got. The only regret is that I missed the Miles & Kamala infused Avengers sneak-peek. Apparently it was the first thing to sell out everywhere!

"Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar

It was good for me. I got to meet Tim Seeley, Mike Norton, and Jenny Frison and they said all my copies of Revival and even Effigy.

I also picked up Divergence and Secret Wars FCBD issues (my shop limits customers to how much they can buy).

Here's what I picked up in the way of freebies:

AVENGERS FCBD
    DIVERGENCE #1 FCBD
    SECRET WARS #0 FCBD
    BONGO FREE-FOR-ALL FCBD
    SPONGEBOB FREESTYLE FUNNIES 2015 FCBD

For my g/f, I picked up the AVATAR: THE LAST AIRBENDER, TEEN TITANS GO! and BOB'S BURGERS FCBD books.

I also picked up a few books from the 99cent bin: GROO THE WANDERER, RED LANTERNS, JUSTICE LEAGUE UNITED, and STAR TREK: EARLY VOYAGES.

However, before FCBD, I attended a local con, the Ithacon, at Ithaca College. I met J.G. Hertzler, who had a recurring role on the last couple of seasons of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine. He was pretty cool, and autographed an 8X10 for me. I also picked up several back issues I'd been searching for, for awhile:

ALL-STAR SQUADRON #32, AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #171, CAPTAIN AMERICA #208, MARVEL TEAM-UP #64, and WORLD'S FINEST #279, among others.

After FCBD, I picked up my g/f and her sister from work; then we did a bit of shopping at Target before heading home. All in all, a pretty busy day.

So... I ended up not going to FCBD because I didn't sleep well and I was going to have to get there early and the drive from my house to my LCS is about 45 minutes with good traffic. So I didn't go, and now I'm really bummed and wish I had, but my LCS tends to have leftovers of stuff so I'm hoping they'll at least have a few books I can grab when I do go.
    Harley Quinn, New Suicide Squad, Grayson, Batgirl, Red Sonja, The Mighty Thor, Catwoman, Bitch Planet, Secret Six, Silk, Descender, Sabrina, Archie, JLA, DC Bombshells, Black Magick, Paper Girls, Tokyo Ghost, Vampirella, Scarlet Witch, A-Force, Extraordinary X-Men, X-Men '92, The Legend of Wonder Woman, All-New Wolverine, Power Rangers, Hellcat, Monstress, Descender

Incredible Member

I hit my two local stores, but didn't have time to actually shop for stuff or drive around to other stores as I normally would. To compensate, I did the Mile High annual 'deal': spend $400 and get all the FCBD books.

My local store surprised me by having Matt Wagner there! Introduced wife and myself, thanked him for the decades of entertainment, and got a free sketch!

This was not only my first time participating in FCBD, this also marks my first year of regularly reading comics. its been an great year so far!

The first shop i went to was where i get my normal books from. not only did they give out the free books for FCBD but they also allowed us to grab 5 additional books they had usually in the dollar bins. managed to find a some good stuff in there. this store was a bit more appealing to family (they sell card game and other things) so it was a bit crowded but i was one of the first in line so it was quick.

second shop i went to i picked up the ones that i didnt get from the first shop(mostly the independents). then they had a 50 cent bin which had i guess was their overstock. so i scooped up a few stuff. this store is like those 80s style shops(more adult appeal) so it wasnt as crowded. and they made us cake.

i'd say it was pretty fun for me.