Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Right now, it looks like I won't be doing much besides visiting my usual spots. I haven't seen any places within driving distance that are doing any in-store appearances. Even my regular shop hasn't announced their appearance list yet for reasons passing understanding.

So I'll probably go pay a bill on Saturday morning, then head off to my first stop and after that head to my regular shop. I've got a bunch of books preordered since I give them out on Halloween, plus my regular stash. Oh, and one of the other customers went to a show in New Hampshire last weekend and he took my want list so there may be some books to pay him for as well.
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

I'll usually just go to my LCS and pick up whatever freebies they have to offer.

Quote Originally Posted by Personamanx View Post
    The weather doesn't look great for Saturday here, but that will only ruin the reading comics in the park portion of the day.
    Also waiting to find out what the weather around here will be like as to whether it's worth it to make the drive on Saturday (or when to drive up that way).

Remember guys, don't forget to buy something. Remember that stores pay for the comics that you guys take home for free. Not saying you need to go crazy or anything, but pick up a back issue or a trade as a thank you to your local shop.

Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar

Most definitely. There aren't actually that many freebies that I'm interested in this year to be honest, but I'm definitely going to drop by the shop during the festivities and buy a few reads. The shop I frequent hosts FCBD at a larger venue nearby as the store itself is fairly small, FCBD is big for them because of how many kids stop into the shop on their way to/from the event. They sell more toys than comics on FCBD, but it's still a solid pull for them each year.
    Last edited by Personamanx; 05-02-2019 at 10:06 AM.
    Continuity, even in a "shared" comics universe is often insignificant if not largely detrimental to the quality of a comic.

Immortal X-Men - Once & Future- X-Cellent - X-Men: Red

Nobody cares about what you don't like, they barely care about what you do like.

Quote Originally Posted by C_Miller View Post
    Remember guys, don't forget to buy something. Remember that stores pay for the comics that you guys take home for free. Not saying you need to go crazy or anything, but pick up a back issue or a trade as a thank you to your local shop.
    I already have a couple of books waiting in my hold file since many of my (limited) titles have been tending to ship the 4th Wednesday of the month, and I was last there on the 3rd Wednesday of April.

"Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar

Nothing this time sadly. My local comic shop has dropped comics and is going all in on D&D, trading cards, and gaming now. Too much of a moneyhole they put it to continue with comics.

I wonder how fast this may go in light of the passing of Peter Mayhew:

FCBD 2019 STAR WARS ADVENTURES DROID HUNTERS
    (W) Cavan Scott (A/CA) Derek Charm
    The stars have aligned: This year, Free Comic Book Day coincides with Star Wars Day! Han and Chewie race against pirates in a search for one of three identical droids that contain the location of a legendary treasure. But what our favorite smugglers don't know is the other two droids are booby trapped! Trickery and double-crosses abound in this original story set before A New Hope! May the Fourth be with you!
    Rating: Teen

Quote Originally Posted by C_Miller View Post
    Yep, I always buy a little something to offset the freebies.
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Dang, didn't think of that. With it being May the Fourth as well it's bound to be a on a few people's minds.
    Continuity, even in a "shared" comics universe is often insignificant if not largely detrimental to the quality of a comic.

Nobody cares about what you don't like, they barely care about what you do like.

Friends all bailed on me for various reasons, and the weather isn't great. I'm probably going to head down to one of the events shortly but I guess there goes the reading/hanging with friends portion of the day.

EDIT: It ended up being an alright time, a lot of parents with the children. Many shops around here use the event to focus in on children more so than current readers or adults. The result is significantly more all-ages, and childrens' titles than mature readers ones. There were almost no mature readers titles left when I got there, which is alright but I wish I could have picked up the Animosity one shot. Oddly enough, I didn't see any DC titles either.

I ended up picking up a random assortment of 10 comics, as was the limit. Going through them now: Avengers, Spider-Man, Buffy, Captain Canuck, Doctor Who, Lumberjanes, TMNT, Deadly Class, and Star Wars. Not bad, and then walked into the shop proper and picked out a few things my friends would like. Bought a pack of HeroClix for myself.

Would have been more enjoyable if my friends were able to come, but she was appreciative that I picked up a few things for her.
    Last edited by Personamanx; 05-04-2019 at 08:39 AM.

I got to my LCS around midday and managed to get these

DARK HORSE STRANGER THINGS & BLACK HAMMER
    TMNT CASUALTY OF WAR
    UNDER THE MOON A CATWOMAN TALE SPECIAL EDITION
    GRUMBLE VS THE GOON
    SPIDER-MAN
    AVENGERS

I got the main 3 I wanted plus others I wanted, so I was pleased. I also picked the final Batman hardcover from the New 52, to finish off that run and finally bought the Criminal: Coward TPB. It's a small shop but it was really busy with lots of people coming and going, so all good.
    Pull List: Daredevil, Radiant Black, Rogue Sun, No One, Time Before Time

“We never lose our demons. We only learn to live above them"

Dear Justice League
    Wolfie Monster and the Big Bad Pizza Battle
    Descendants
    Star Wars Adventures
    for the grandniece and grandnephew.

And Avengers for me. There really wasn't much there I was interested in. But it's good for the shops which is important.

Freebies I wound up getting

Under the Moon (Catwoman)

Dragonfly and Dragonflyman

as well as Avengers and Lady Mechanika.

Also got for free:

An 1872 Iron Man HeroClix (steampunk?)
    and I did purchase a few other things.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    How about I didn't even SEE that book.

Well my Store did 25 cent comics boxes.

I got $300 worth of books for $16.

Guess whose company PACKED the heck out of those boxes? DC Rebirth with one exception-not one Nightwing title.

some of the Haul
    Doomsday Clock 1-9
    Action Comics 1000 (3 different covers)
    Swamp Thing Special
    Variant covers for Young Justice 3, Flash 54-56
    Shazam 1-2 (variant)
    Runaways 13-18
    Teen Titans 21-29
    Titans 21-33
    Green Arrow variant 50

I also won a raffle and got an Avengers Endgame bag with Men in Black glasses, The Boys TV show hat, 2 Hellboy shirts, Pet cemetery posters & Cap Marvel poster.