Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Black Science #6 (Discussion/Spoilers)

Well crap, it's going to be a long wait till July.

With the last issue and this issue, I think Remender's really getting into a groove with this series. We've seen hints of what he wants to explore, and the places he wants to take story in the last couple of issues, but here we get the first big clue of what's in store for the future going forward, and a great ending to a character arc that started with the first issue. Really, really good work.

Thoughts?

I was a little shocked.

Spoiler tags don't seem to be working, so beware! Spoilers ahead:

I can't believe he killed Grant! He was a great character. I think the random Dimensionaut who saved them in the end was some sort of future version of Grant.

As always, the art was great.
    Last edited by RoguishGurl; 04-30-2014 at 06:38 PM.

This (issue 6) was easily my favorite 'pull' of the day.

What a fantastic ending to this arc! I am so excited to see where things go from here. Gonna be a long wait until July.

I say we see Grant in some form down the line one way or another. Probably sooner rather than later. Maybe the one from the dimension where he didn't screw everything up.

Grant's death was really well done, though. The final realization at how big of a jerk he really was is the end this Grant needed. I'm a little glad though that he's seemingly out of the picture. The dynamics of Kadir leading a team of people who thinks he's the biggest scum ever while also taking care of the children of the man he left behind sets up some pretty great potential for character moments and story directions.

BANNED

Shocked about Grant's demise, but i still have a feeling he'll return.

Is anyone just waiting for Kadir to become some Doctor Doom disfigured menace? I compare this series too much to Fantastic Four lol.

BANNED

The ending to this issue shocked me. This was my favorite comic of the week followed right behind Deaadly Class #4 - Another Remender title. Black Science...such a great book. First arc was amazing. I'm saddened we have to wait until July to get #7, but at least it's an ongoing series and soon we will have more Black Science goodness.

I agree with the others. No way we have seen the last of, Grant.

Not yet. Not now. It cant be. He was just starting to get his crap together!

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

I love this series so much ahhhh.

Fantastic Member

Yeah this is good stuff. Looking forward to more...

Yeah I agree with what everyone else is saying. I also really liked the world that was developed here. Sentient gas beings that come from flowers and possessing apes and using them as hosts is really creative and unique.

BANNED

This issue blew me away! Sooooo good and Grants daughter is gonna be pissed July seems so far, far away....

Holy cow, I still can't get over them pulling off a "Psycho." Everything I thought I knew about where this was going was wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by teej View Post
    I say we see Grant in some form down the line one way or another. Probably sooner rather than later. Maybe the one from the dimension where he didn't screw everything up.

Grant's death was really well done, though. The final realization at how big of a jerk he really was is the end this Grant needed. I'm a little glad though that he's seemingly out of the picture. The dynamics of Kadir leading a team of people who thinks he's the biggest scum ever while also taking care of the children of the man he left behind sets up some pretty great potential for character moments and story directions.
    It really was perfect in its tragedy. Guy makes mistakes. Then dies realizing how bad they are and never getting a chance to correct them.

I wouldn't be surprised if we see other McKays, but I do kind of hope this one stays dead.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpio View Post
    Shocked about Grant's demise, but i still have a feeling he'll return.

Is anyone just waiting for Kadir to become some Doctor Doom disfigured menace? I compare this series too much to Fantastic Four lol.
    See, it's tempting to try to overlay this book with those sorts of tropes, but I think it's more complex. Grant was no Reed Richards, so Kadir is no Doom. He's not a genius, he's a chicken-**** businessman. Is he the main protagonist now? Maybe, and that's really interesting.

I'm really glad that this is creator-owned and not somehow a run of FF at Marvel, which I don't think it was remotely intended to be. You couldn't do have this stuff and the tone would be all wrong. I've not been huge on Rememder's Marvel work because it's often so bleak that it feels wrong in that context. This is perfect as it's own thing.

CBR got me like.. Maxpower00044's Avatar

Great conclusion to the first arc. I love when they do s**t like this. Totally flipped the status quo on us! I think another Grant McKay from the eververse will step in, but only time will tell. Scalera's art is so kinetic and his character designs are top notch.

Resistance Is Fertile Junior Wormwood's Avatar

This imagination on this book is just completely outstanding. So glad I've been picking this up. I hope this gets some sort of deluxe treatment down the road, as something of this quality truly deserves it.

And I'll chime in and say that I too believe Grant will be back. Some how, some way...

Quote Originally Posted by Junior Wormwood View Post
    And I'll chime in and say that I too believe Grant will be back. Some how, some way...
    Yeah... I'm reading through the second half of Fear Agent right now, and considering all the crap Heath went through, I doubt we've seen the last of Grant. Plus, the issue #5 revelations and all.