Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

They hug it out.

Hey, is there a way to bloodlust professional athletes in real life?

From watching the fight at first I was pretty disappointed, but upon looking at the reasoning on why Mayweather won, thinking back to the fight, and looking up a bit on him...yeah, I do understand why it did ultimately go to Mayweather in the end.

At a glance though it didn't look that way. In a way this is probably the most technical match I've ever seen when I'm so used to seeing beatdown matches. So as a Filipino I am disappointed, but I'm not a blind patriot that I'm butthurt.

At any rate I'm glad I'm not home at the moment because I'm sure the butthurt is in full force there. Apart from that, I'm also hearing accusations on how the match was rigged against Pacquiao in favor of Mayweather because it was mostly handled by Mayweather's crew, or the fact that the judges were all American. Now I'm not trying to start a fight here, I'm just laying out how it feels from the losing side.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackagarBoltagon View Post
    Typical Mayweather snoozefest. Talks like a killer then runs away for 12 rounds.
    Yup, he just plays defense. And counters when he wants to.

Anyone who expected this to be a knockdown, dragout fight is disappointed... and I don't really know why they had those expectations. This was two good boxers at the end of their careers playing chess. That's what it always was going to be.

There was no way Mayweather was going to commit. That's not what he does. There wasn't even much reason for Pacman to either what with his apparent injuries, and bc they're getting paid by the second.
    “The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
    -Stephen McCranie

Quote Originally Posted by BlackagarBoltagon View Post
    Typical Mayweather snoozefest. Talks like a killer then runs away for 12 rounds.
    Didn't see the fight and really have no idea who these guys are. I did know a guy who boxed in college and I remember getting into one of these debates where someone said, "I don't take guts or skill to run for x rounds" to which he, being the only actual boxer in the conversation, replied, "Yes, it does." He went on to say that it's not running, it's being a boxer rather than a brawler.

Mighty Member

yeah, I didn't bother watching it because I figured I would be another victory by points for Mayweather... and, well, I don't really need to see that again. I really wanted Pacquiao to win-- but I figured it would be less frustrating for me to read about afterwards than to actually watch the thing. based on everything I've read the undercards were more interesting than the main fight. (which isn't that uncommon)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by 90'sCartoonMan View Post

Hey, is there a way to bloodlust professional athletes in real life?
    Its called PCP.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    ng, it's being a boxer rather than a brawler.
    There's another part to it as well; Mayweather understands the rulebook and fights accordingly, much like in motor racing where you look at the black-and-white and design accordingly. Floyd's strategy makes use of everything, up to and including the rulebook and not only the ring. Its more of an F1/Indycar frame of thought than boxing, but its effective when there are rules you can use. What I'm more interested in is who made his fighting strategy; Floyd himself, or his father and/or grandfather.

That said, back to the OP now that I've had a chance to re-watch.

Under Khazan conditions, where there is no ref, no rounds but the fight is only stand up and both fighters go until KO? I'm going with the brawler because the strategy of letting the clock run out via running, clinching is mooted; Manny now has feats for eating Floyd's counters and powering through them, and the longer the match goes the more it favours the fighter with better cardio and mental fortitude.
    Last edited by T51R; 05-03-2015 at 09:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cc008 View Post
    Yup, he just plays defense. And counters when he wants to.

Anyone who expected this to be a knockdown, dragout fight is disappointed... and I don't really know why they had those expectations. This was two good boxers at the end of their careers playing chess. That's what it always was going to be.
    I agree with Tyson, Mayweather's a delusional, scared little man and that's exactly how he "fights". This wasn't chess, it was more like that version of Punch-Out posted above ^^^. If boxing wasn't already on an unstoppable decline, Floyd just killed all newcomer casual fans.

I prefer hug-fests to the borderline ... well, MMA is definitely worse if you're trending that route.

In any case, I don't understand all of the bad mouthing after the fact, it was two *oldbyboxingstandards* dudes, duking it out in a paid by the minute match. Not to mention, Manny has tiny, tiny arms comparatively. There's like, what ? A 5" reach difference in favor of Mayweather? And he's faster?

Floyd wasn't wading into blows if he didn't have to.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Rumbles Limbo Champion big_adventure's Avatar

Plus, Mayweather landed significantly more punches, and landed more "power punches" - so non-jabs - than Pac landed punches at all. Floyd also threw more total punches - the only time that's happened in like 4 years. No, he didn't KO a guy who is hard to KO. But that's not how Mayweather rolls. If this fight had gone 10 more rounds, Mayweather would have been standing over the unconscious carcass of Pac. Pac simply didn't do anything serious to Floyd, and Floyd still looked relatively fresh at the end, compared to the lagging Manny. All three judges agreed: Mayweather won rounds 10-12 unanimously.

Fantastic Member AdvanceBushido's Avatar

Thing about it is that Pacquiao and Mayweather fought most of the same people. With Manny koing the toughest of the bunch and Floyd winning by decision. With that in mind Pacquiao should have won. Floyd may have thrown the most punches by a small margin but, his hits connected by a larger margin. But, only like six of the punches thrown was worth anything. While Manny threw the harder punches. It's not like Floyd boxed his way out of a tough corner. He used the ropes and played keep-away throughout the match. As well as clinching and choking his way to the win which should had been fouled. I think if Manny shoulder didn't start hurting he would have won. Because he was doing good up until the fourth round. Freaking Michael Strahan said it best; it was good until the fight started. You saw better fights on the playground.

Yes, they are kinda old for boxers but its not like one is forty and one 25. Or their body really wasn't allowing them to do anything. They both had lot of energy left, especially all that dancing Floyd was doing.

https://vine.co/v/e7V5bHhL3WM

I wonder what he said.
    Last edited by AdvanceBushido; 05-04-2015 at 02:28 PM.
    Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance.

Just going to point out that Floyd nearly threw 2x the punches Manny did, and connected far more often. Another thing I'd like to point out is that, all punches in a boxing match mean something. Especially when you're hitting more often than the other guy. I really don't understand the issue with Mayweather here. He literally just out-boxed the other guy. Issues with him as a person, or the proper utilization of his advantages- reach, speed, etc- aside, you can't deny that he won, and Manny lost; and it wasn't because Manny was somehow cheated.

End of the day, Manny tried to duke it out, and Mayweather intelligently didn't let him.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Astonishing Member

Going by the bitching about the match I think too many people've been spoiled by pro-wrestling and forgot that boxing is an athletic competition where the point is to win, not pound on each other's skulls for the crowd's enjoyment.

Fantastic Member AdvanceBushido's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wjowski View Post
    Going by the bitching about the match I think too many people've been spoiled by pro-wrestling and forgot that boxing is an athletic competition where the point is to win, not pound on each other's skulls for the crowd's enjoyment.
    I don't think anyone is "b****ing". Everyone has opinions and everyone is entitled to it. What about professional boxers who agree with those who say it was a lame fight with with a bunch of cheap shots? Did they forget too??????? You should probably change that.
    Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance.

This is starting to get out of Rumbles territory.
    “The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
    -Stephen McCranie