Page 6 of 22 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Metaltron View Post
    I am aware he was talking about the jet, but it was clearly a subtle little reference to that quirky X-Men member, same as how there was a sneaky Mothra ref in Godzilla or how Peter's ringtone is ASM2 is the '67 theme tune.

I honestly think you are reaching. I really doubt that was their intention.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by ScottSummers View Post
    I don't know, just to be weird or something. I didn't see that suggested at all.
    One of the first spoilers I read of this movie before I saw it was that it retconned Origins and it was stated quite a number of times in the movie thread on the X-Men boards. A lot of people are convinced of this but it simply does not appear to be true. Origins still fits quite nicely in this timeline although I think most people wish it did not and jumped to very incorrect conclusions based on the scene of Mystique posing as Stryker and rescuing Wolverine from the river. The fact that the majority of Origins takes place after 1973 and the younger Wolverine will have no recollection of the events of this movie tells me that Origins still happened.
    Last edited by DennisTheMenace; 05-25-2014 at 07:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DennisTheMenace View Post
    One of the first spoilers I read of this movie before I saw it was that it retconned Origins and it was stated quite a number of times in the movie thread on the X-Men boards. A lot of people are convinced of this but it simply does not appear to be true. Origins still fits quite nicely in this timeline although I think most people wish it did not and jumped to very incorrect conclusions based on the scene of Mystique posing as Stryker and rescuing Wolverine from the river. The fact that the majority of Origins takes place after 1973 and the younger Wolverine will have no recollection of the events of this movie tells me that Origins still happened.
    The specific dates regarding Logan (and Victor) in Vietnam seem a little unclear. Most of the references I can find to the movie at the time seem sure that Stryker first met and recruited the pair in '75. For example; http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/x-me...-past-answered(Question 6); http://moviemorgue.wikia.com/wiki/William_Stryker http://moviepilot.com/posts/2014/05/...,manual#!Qp0TD (#6).

But yeah. Whatever, the specific dates, we can't know what happened after Logan was fished from the river. Once his future conciousness returned to his future body, the 'real' 1973 Logan would have returned, with no clue what had happened over the last few days. Ironically, despite being the catalyst for everything that happened, he would be the one character least affected by everything that had happened (in terms of the path he was already on). From his perspective, he'd fallen asleep after having a night with the bosses daughter and woken up with a body full of girders at the bottom of the river. Actually now that I think about it, the movie is less Back to the Future and more Quantum Leap... with Logan 'leaping' into his own body and 'striving to put right what once went wrong'. If only the writers had thought to have Logan say "Oh Boy!" when he looked in the mirror after he woke up!

Two possible scenarios after the end of the movie are...
    a) Mystique explains what has happened (in so much as she understood it - it's not like she was completely in the picture, as far as Logan's situation was concerned) and Logan tells her exactly the same thing he once told Charles and Erik, meets back up with Victor as he was always destined to do, they go to 'Nam and everything plays out much the same.

or b) Mystique has a different proposition for Logan - exactly what, I don't know - perhaps a more pro-active approach to protecting mutants from people like Trask and Styker, but without the use of lethal force (unless absolutely necessary to save lives) Of course, Victor would likely still be involved. He and Logan were still friends at that time, although the seeds of Logan's concerns about Victor's bloodlust were already there. Who knows how that all might have played out?

Basically, we just don't know. We don't even know if Logan has ever been given his Adamantium in the alternate future. For now, it's all just theories and guesswork. At least until the next movie is released creates a whole new bunch of continuity confusion!
    Last edited by Vworp Vworp; 05-25-2014 at 08:16 AM.

So how does Mystique retain her youth as the years move forward? How could she be a young woman in the 60's and still a young woman in 2000? I think this could be easily corrected and a reason could be made up with her mutation. I don't think anything is said about it in the films, unless I missed something.

Quote Originally Posted by PapaShogun View Post
    So how does Mystique retain her youth as the years move forward? How could she be a young woman in the 60's and still a young woman in 2000? I think this could be easily corrected and a reason could be made up with her mutation. I don't think anything is said about it in the films, unless I missed something.
    She shapeshifts into young woman?

Quote Originally Posted by PapaShogun View Post
    She just ages a lot slower. Which is the case for the comic-book Raven, right? Isn't she like 100 years old or thereabouts?

I thought the movie was good on its own, but this franchise is so far afield on being consistent from one movie to the next it hurts me to think about. Xavier and Magneto would have to have been in their 90's or at least late 80's in the future scenes of the movie and at the end when Logan wakes up in the new, altered timeline.

Also, if Mytique killed Trask in the original timeline and was then caught and experimented on, how was she also in the first three X-Men movies? Did she escape? Because I felt like it was very heavily implied that she was killed during the course of the experimentation.

Like I said, I liked the movie on its own well enough, but the entire franchise needs to be rebooted and wiped clean, and the creators need to clearly define characters and stop throwing in stupid cameos that only further muddy the waters.
    I co-host a podcast about comics. Mostly it's X-Men comics of the 90's.

Billy and Dan Read Comics!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Vworp Vworp View Post
    She just ages a lot slower. Which is the case for the comic-book Raven, right? Isn't she like 100 years old or thereabouts?
    Even First Class establishes that she ages slower, just that Raven in First Class is much younger than comic Raven age wise

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Goggindowner View Post
    Like I said, I liked the movie on its own well enough, but the entire franchise needs to be rebooted and wiped clean, and the creators need to clearly define characters and stop throwing in stupid cameos that only further muddy the waters.
    I'm getting pretty tired of the X-Films constant, lets throw in as many mutant cameos as we can get, approach. If you're going to put a character in the movie then make said character be beneficial to the story. Don't just do it for fanservice sake alone.

If I just enjoy the movie for what it was... it was fantastic.

When I start thinking about all the contradictions every where STILL... my head starts to hurt.

The revelation that Mystique was tortured and stuff before the first X-Men movie which caused the sentinels is... my head... it ... it doesn't make a damn bit a sense in regards to the original trilogy.

Mystique is easily the biggest continuity stumbling block. She was before this movie and now she has messed it up even more.
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

and I still don't think we know Mystique's motives at all for the next movie.

She shot Eric in the neck

She could have easily gone with Charles and decided to leave on her own

She randomly decides to go pick up Wolverine, when they had very little action in the film in all actuality. Did they even talk? He was just there when she first got ot trask and then I don't think they even saw each other did they? She was in the bunker when Magneto threw him in the ocean?

*shrugs*

And man... young Magneto is a DICK lol. "Oh, thanks for saving us from a horrible future Logan, time to die now "survivor"' He is COLD. "Mystique caused this, so I'll just shoot her" wtf lol

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

I thought the movie was good on its own, but this franchise is so far afield on being consistent from one movie to the next it hurts me to think about. Xavier and Magneto would have to have been in their 90's or at least late 80's in the future scenes of the movie and at the end when Logan wakes up in the new, altered timeline.
    Who's to say that they weren't?

Also, if Mytique killed Trask in the original timeline and was then caught and experimented on, how was she also in the first three X-Men movies? Did she escape? Because I felt like it was very heavily implied that she was killed during the course of the experimentation.
    This was discussed a few posts ago, so I'll just quote myself.

Consider that in the original timeline, which would have ultimately led to the status quo we saw in X-Men, Mystique killed Trask and was captured, experimented on and essentially tortured for what might have been many years. At some point prior to X-Men, Magneto obviously escaped from the Pentagon and presumably then rescued Mystique - hence their being all Chummy in the original trilogy. However, after years of torture and experimentation by humans, any vestiges of the kindler, gentler Raven have long been extinguished, leaving only the colder, hateful Romijn Mystique.

And it would follow that she would very likely resent Charles for his own sympathetic ideals and his hope for mutants and humans living in peace. So much so, in fact, that she's even willing to (almost) kill him in X-Men when she sabotages Cerebro.
    And how was it implied she died? The opposite seems to be true, given that when Charles mentions Trask was Mystique's first kill, Wolverine says something along the lines of "But not her last." For her to kill again, she would have had to escape from Trask Industries at some point.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    If I just enjoy the movie for what it was... it was fantastic.

When I start thinking about all the contradictions every where STILL... my head starts to hurt.

The revelation that Mystique was tortured and stuff before the first X-Men movie which caused the sentinels is... my head... it ... it doesn't make a damn bit a sense in regards to the original trilogy.

Mystique is easily the biggest continuity stumbling block. She was before this movie and now she has messed it up even more.
    I'm still confused as to what happened to Nightcrawler. Does he still exist?

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post

Except she isn't. This movie actually explains how she came to be the person she was in the original trilogy and how her relationship with Charles was completely destroyed. Just read my theory/explanation in my last post above.

Except she isn't. This movie actually explains how she came to be the person she was in the original trilogy and how her relationship with Charles was completely destroyed. Just read my theory/explanation in my last post above.
    trask said they need to harvest everything from here... it makes no since for her to live through that.