Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Convergence

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ishmael View Post
    No offense to anyone, but I believe the point of this thread was for those of us who like Convergence to have a place to post. Those of you who don't like it have plenty of other places to complain all ready.

And for the record, there are those of us who thought World's End was the best of the weeklies. Shocking I know. But compared to the sprawling mess of Futures End and rambling, decompressed plot of Batman Eternal, World's End was well done. Again, if we didn't post our thoughts, it was simply because we didn't want to get shouted down by all the negative voices. Unfortunately the CBR forums are now often just an echo chamber for negativity, so why bother?
    Yes I love convergence and Earth 2. When I tell people I love New52 earth 2, they tell me it not that good but I still love New52 Earth2.

Hello

I plan to get into Convergence when the main Secret Wars books are done; I am gearing up for Cyborg's solo.

So how complex is the collecting? I am really hoping for an omnibus of the events.
    aka(s). o-bunⓐi-o // ⓓcembⓘrth

Sorry for any misspellings or grammar mistakes

Last edited by Crazed T'Challa x Emma x Namor shipper; Yesterday at 00:00 UM.

Quote Originally Posted by surgeon_general View Post
    How is this different from Countdown: Arena?
    Just about the only way that they're similar to each other is that heroes from alternate realities are brought together and forced into conflict. Other than that, they really don’t have much in common at all.
    Rogue wears rouge.
    Angel knows all the angles.

Quote Originally Posted by xack View Post
    I like Power Girl/Supergirl but i don't think of her is a leader type.
    Why not? She's led the JSA before the New 52. I just hope Wildcat (Yolanda Montez) makes it through. I love how Deimos told her that was her true name.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by mrjames21 View Post
    Why not? She's led the JSA before the New 52. I just hope Wildcat (Yolanda Montez) makes it through. I love how Deimos told her that was her true name.
    I don't know that. I start to read DC in the beginning of The New 52 and me to i hope Yolanda Montez is live in the end of Convergence.

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mrjames21 View Post
    Yeah, I hope Yolanda survives Convergence as well. As for Powergirl it would be nice to see her in a leadership role again.
    Last edited by JasonTodd428; 05-19-2015 at 09:36 AM.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

I'm sure Yolanda will survive.
    They seem to be building her up as a character right now.
    Having her around Deimos, the whole Wildcat thing. My guess is she'll be part of the main team in Earth 2: Society.

Astonishing Member

One issue to go and I really have no idea what trajectory we're on here. It was interesting that the sort of "Convergence Effect" that we haven't seen since Kal-El was shown his many deaths in issue # 0, and in Futures End, happened briefly to Superman, Supergirl and Martian Manhunter here.

But there's a lot that should get a payoff. I mean we have the ur-Brainiac, who may or may not be Brainiac Prime - from the original 1959 Silver Age continuity, or at least is a force that's been responsible for all Brainiacs. And what, we're on his world, Deimos mentions "maybe I'll bring you back!" in the middle, then doesn't, and that's it? The hell? Parallax blasts Deimos, we're back to Telos wanting to maybe fix his mistake, I mean Brainiac pretty much has to show up.

There's Telos's identity. Which we're what, NOT going to learn?

Grayson becoming Batman is easy and they can just do it in the denouement in like one panel. People going home, blipping back to their universes, forming a mosaic world, or just converging with their New 52 selves (except a few exceptions) can totally be done in some final page close-out stuff.

But there's big mechanical stuff here that needs to be resolved, and that's a lot to ask out of one issue in something that already feels decompressed (decompressed, I'll add, but which is content to let its two-shots characterize all the random characters it drops in for skirmishes but doesn't you know, capitalize on the character of all that much).

So essentially, you know ... it's a DC Event Comic. Par for the course. Congrats Jeff King, you've written yourself a bloated and impossible corner that you'll probably only barely and partially resolve yourself out of. WELCOME TO DC COMICS.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

where they filmed that one movie and half of that other one

I'm guessing Braniac will show up, and to stop him all the Supermen of existence must team up and sing a song which also simultaneously restores everything in the very next panel.

Quote Originally Posted by K. Jones View Post
    One issue to go and I really have no idea what trajectory we're on here. It was interesting that the sort of "Convergence Effect" that we haven't seen since Kal-El was shown his many deaths in issue # 0, and in Futures End, happened briefly to Superman, Supergirl and Martian Manhunter here.

But there's a lot that should get a payoff. I mean we have the ur-Brainiac, who may or may not be Brainiac Prime - from the original 1959 Silver Age continuity, or at least is a force that's been responsible for all Brainiacs. And what, we're on his world, Deimos mentions "maybe I'll bring you back!" in the middle, then doesn't, and that's it? The hell? Parallax blasts Deimos, we're back to Telos wanting to maybe fix his mistake, I mean Brainiac pretty much has to show up.

Grayson becoming Batman is easy and they can just do it in the denouement in like one panel. People going home, blipping back to their universes, forming a mosaic world, or just converging with their New 52 selves (except a few exceptions) can totally be done in some final page close-out stuff.

But there's big mechanical stuff here that needs to be resolved, and that's a lot to ask out of one issue in something that already feels decompressed (decompressed, I'll add, but which is content to let its two-shots characterize all the random characters it drops in for skirmishes but doesn't you know, capitalize on the character of all that much).

So essentially, you know ... it's a DC Event Comic. Par for the course. Congrats Jeff King, you've written yourself a bloated and impossible corner that you'll probably only barely and partially resolve yourself out of. WELCOME TO DC COMICS.
    My thoughts as well. If I take Convergence on its own I can enjoy it for the most part. When I look into what I was hoping to get out of it coming out of Future's End... it has been falling far short. It will be an interesting last issue next week.
    "Magneto, you ARE the father!"

Yeah, Braniac's appearance was a big nothing burger, and the stuff with Skartaris and all its characters, including Deimos, was set up pretty nicely then just brushed aside to make room for the late-breaking CRISIS THAT MENACES ALL TIME. Not to mention that Apollo and Engineer show up out of nowhere in the vicinity of the Oracle, and if you didn't read H'EL on Earth you don't know who he is, anyway. And Guy is suddenly a Green Lantern again.

Parallax blasting Deimos was a nice touch, but it really does set us up for a very forced resolution. The big problem is that the simple solution, sending everybody back home, is tantamount to mass execution since they all came from doomed timelines. As for Telos' identity, that will likely figure into the new Earth 2 ongoing. The latest solicit for it featured an alien woman who very much resembles Telos.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dzetoun View Post
    Yeah, Braniac's appearance was a big nothing burger, and the stuff with Skartaris and all its characters, including Deimos, was set up pretty nicely then just brushed aside to make room for the late-breaking CRISIS THAT MENACES ALL TIME. Not to mention that Apollo and Engineer show up out of nowhere in the vicinity of the Oracle, and if you didn't read H'EL on Earth you don't know who he is, anyway. And Guy is suddenly a Green Lantern again.

Parallax blasting Deimos was a nice touch, but it really does set us up for a very forced resolution. The big problem is that the simple solution, sending everybody back home, is tantamount to mass execution since they all came from doomed timelines. As for Telos' identity, that will likely figure into the new Earth 2 ongoing. The latest solicit for it featured an alien woman who very much resembles Telos.
    Some slight points:

What's the deal with Apollo, anyway? That's the Cully Hamner costume (cool, cool) but didn't Starlin come in and blow out StormWatch so they all looked like their old selves again? However did that story resolve, because I totally stopped reading it?

Guy Gardner was almost assuredly an art mistake.

Oracle is the obvious result of all the Lobdell input, which doesn't help things, but I suppose he's an apropos inclusion. (Convergence placement at "a few months ago", back when Lobdell was still closing out his Superman run at least makes that bit feel like a coda or capstone that "almost" works.)

Astonishing Member

So, this week in Convergence tie-ins ...

There was plenty of good stuff to be had, but Marv Wolfman's New Teen Titans took the cake for me. Sure, it had a bit of a brief wrap-up, but it had so much going for it besides the effortlessness of Wolfman jumping in and utilizing those characters to the fullest, or even doing something interesting with Kole for once. I mean this issue, Jericho non-verbally comes out of the closet to Kole, right? TAKE THAT, NEW 52 "MODERN" TITANS ATTEMPTS AT RELEVANCY. There was Donna being an amazing person, Vic getting to go all bad-ass, and Dick & Kory's balance of ethics as well as their balance of beef/cheesecake sexiness.

Tried to think of another title that came close. Lots of good ones, but none of them came near NTT. Still, special mention to JLA (Sue Dibny saves the day; F*$*$*$ you Brad Meltzer), special mention to Hawkman (Did Jeff Parker just retcon Jack Kirby's Kamandi so that all the animal people are mutanimals, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles style?! Totally befitting considering Kirby's constant re-use of underground facilities where genetic experiments are going down; see also Morrison's Kirby-riffs.) and special mention to Flash, Wonder Woman, BATO, Swamp Thing and GLC for just plain being good. Everything from Barry's philosophical battle to Larry Hama's Steve and Diana (and Joker), to Rex and Sapphire, to Wein getting into Vampire Batman's head or Swampy's mastery of vampire killing, to Guy's ridiculousness made me pretty happy.

Some slight points:

What's the deal with Apollo, anyway? That's the Cully Hamner costume (cool, cool) but didn't Starlin come in and blow out StormWatch so they all looked like their old selves again? However did that story resolve, because I totally stopped reading it?

Guy Gardner was almost assuredly an art mistake.

Oracle is the obvious result of all the Lobdell input, which doesn't help things, but I suppose he's an apropos inclusion. (Convergence placement at "a few months ago", back when Lobdell was still closing out his Superman run at least makes that bit feel like a coda or capstone that "almost" works.)
    They reset the Stormwatch team back to normal after Starlin's run. They didn't even show how it was returned to normal. Just one line of dialogue talking about undoing the reset.

Columbus OH, USA, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way

Hi everyone, coming back here for the first time in over a year but I got re-registered. I performed Google searches and scanned this thread before posting, but I have a big stack of comics to read and a question about Convergence.

For each week, what order should I read them in? Do I read the Convergence book issue before the tie-ins, or should I read the tie-ins of the week before reading the main Convergence title? I appreciate your guidance!
    Last edited by Whill; 05-21-2015 at 02:23 PM.