Default An Oscar Nominated Producer's Suggestions For the Spider-Man Films

This was an interesting email sent out last year by Michael De Luca about his suggestions for the Spider-Man films.

Hey, Amy solicited suggestions at the end of the meeting yesterday and for what it’s worth here are mine (apologize in advance if any of these have been tried and/or discarded already!):
    -Seriously investigate making Koepp and/or Raimi creative overlords and invite Raimi to pull a "Bryan Singer on Xmen" and return to franchise as the filmmaker.

-Investigate availability of all other franchise writers coming available and their possible interest, the aforementioned Koepp, Michael Arndt, Simon Beaufoy, etc. Even Kinberg if free, anyone who's crushed it on recent franchises.

-Convene expert creative committee:

Koepp, Raimi, Bendis, Vaughn, Strascynski, Todd Mcfarlane. Or anyone we think has value. Map out enough ideas to feed a ten year plan. Or just hear thoughts.

-Get multiple projects happening asap, including:

-Sinister Six sequel (if we love drew’s script), Matt produces.

-Seperate trilogy developed and overseen by Raimi and/or Koepp or some other creative overlord, using one of the epic story lines from books (death of spidey, doc Ock as spider ala Superior Spider-Man, the multiple SM saga per Josh Boone suggestion, etc), with new producer.

Maybe Raimi does Silver Age spidey and a seperate trilogy is mapped out riffing from modern Ultimates (venom/carnage saga)? Developing next steps as trilogies and not stand alines could be smart.

-Seperate Venom project. Matt produces.

-Lisa Joy project.
    The goal would be one or two trilogy tracks, two side movies and Sinister Six sequels as a seperate track if we like Drew’s direction.
    There have been plenty of emails in which random people at Sony made their suggestions for what the company could do with the Spider-Man films. A difference here is that De Luca has a decent resume, as an Oscar-nominated producer for the Social Network, Moneyball and Captain Phillips, in addition to the Ghost Rider films and 50 Shades of Grey. He also wrote one of the weirdest episodes of any Star Trek spinoff.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Spectacular Member

I've blotted out a lot of those bad Voyager episodes.
    trying to be nicer

Curious that McFarlane's name came up as a consultant idea, though he hasn't been involved in the character in decades. It would have been great to get JMS to write a script. Still not interested in Venom, I just plain don't care. Same with Carnage.

I think the context of former Sony co-chair Amy Pascal e-mailing Sam Raimi provides some important context for De Luca's e-mail. Because Pascal wanted Raimi's input about the Spidey franchise. De Luca's e-mail follows a Spidey creative meeting that Pascal had a few weeks after she reached out to Raimi. This is why De Luca suggested Raimi pulling a "Bryan Singer on Xmen."

confiscate his oscar. Ask actual spider-man fans. As we see from marvel's avengers, comic stories that were successful were succesful for a reason, put them into movies and collect the money.
    Thor: "I was flying through the cosmos, on my way to Midgard, when something struck me in the face. It was blood."

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    I think the context of former Sony co-chair Amy Pascal e-mailing Sam Raimi provides some important context for De Luca's e-mail. Because Pascal wanted Raimi's input about the Spidey franchise. De Luca's e-mail follows a Spidey creative meeting that Pascal had a few weeks after she reached out to Raimi. This is why De Luca suggested Raimi pulling a "Bryan Singer on Xmen."
    That was desperationd mode. Truth is sam raimi screwed up his spider-man movies too. They were better than the AmAZing dreck but that's not saying much. Get a non horrible actor and start from there.
    Thor: "I was flying through the cosmos, on my way to Midgard, when something struck me in the face. It was blood."

I think the biggest problem is the attempt to do multiple tracks based on one character. We did have at least one guy consider Superior Spider-Man as the basis for a trilogy (along with other ideas thrown at the wall to see what would stick.)

Quote Originally Posted by Evan View Post
    confiscate his oscar. Ask actual spider-man fans. As we see from marvel's avengers, comic stories that were successful were succesful for a reason, put them into movies and collect the money.
    He technically didn't have an Oscar. He should've had one for The Social Network, though.

* Edit- Just realized that my own title was wrong. The guy's a mere Oscar nominee, not a winner.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    Curious that McFarlane's name came up as a consultant idea, though he hasn't been involved in the character in decades.
    This stuck out like a sore thumb to me. I do quite like the trilogy idea though.

The idea of Raimi pulling a "Singer" is interesting. How would they do that with this franchise? Mephisto?

Also like the idea of a brain trust coming up with the plan and story arcs for the Spider-Man movies. But I would include DeFalco and DeMatteis and remove McFarlane and Bendis. Really tired of Ultimateverse being Marvel's answer to everything. Its great for what it is, but its nothing compared with the Lee/Ditko/Romita ideas.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

I think someone started a thread with a poll on this board a while back asking if Rami should return in some capacity. It’s interesting to see that even Sony at least considered it at some point.

BANNED

yeah no, it's not possible to bring raimi back considering that the series was a reboot and that the reason singer returned because the x-men series never rebooted. plus raimi wasn't a wise choice not because he was terrible but i didn't like how he handled mj, peter, goblin, venom, the supporting casts being in the backgrounds and those cheesy over-the-top tones

Quote Originally Posted by marvelguy25 View Post
    [...] and those cheesy over-the-top tones
    You could add the Max Dillon and Dr. Kafka scenes into the Raimi movies and they wouldn't seem out of place. There isn't that much of a difference.
    "Tell me there's something better. Go ahead, try."

Quote Originally Posted by Alastor View Post
    You could add the Max Dillon and Dr. Kafka scenes into the Raimi movies and they wouldn't seem out of place. There isn't that much of a difference.
    The big difference is the Raimi films earned their tone.

And the Raimi films embraced the cheesiness as intentional. ASM was going for non-cheesy but still managed to have a cheesy crane scene in the first film and ASM2 had alot more non-deliberate cheese.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.