Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Default Floyd "Money" Mayweather ....hurting Boxing .

For years the big dream PPV match in boxing was Manny Pacquiao vs Floyd Mayweather . The two men had danced around facing each other for years. Mayweather himself seemed destined to want to go 50-0 and the match never would happen. That was til this past winter when both fighters signed and agreed to the PPV match which set some big records.

Its true this match would mean big money. The purse for the winner I believe was $200+ million dollars. Ringside seats was $14,000+ a ticket. PPV was over $100. Hell even a buddy of mine who runs a bar was told if he wanted to televise the event he would have to pay $10,000 for the honor of it. He declined after laughing at them over the phone and remarked "I paid $500 for Wrestlemania a couple years ago...sorry I can't make Floyd richer for this."

This was supposed to be the biggest and best match in boxing. Both weren't in their primes but damn it...this was gonna be so huge. It would put boxing back on the map again. Oh how those dreams were dashed as the PPV showed us that Mayweather basically played it very safe....so safe people have started calling him a coward. His strategy in boxing was to jab and counter and wear Manny down as we saw. Not fight him straight out.

But the fight has made many claim they are giving up on boxing. That this match finally has made them frustrated with boxing as a whole and how the system allowed little boxing and more jabbing and keeping at a distance . Which is sad because people came in expecting an epic boxing fight and got more or less a by the numbers boxing match.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/oth...uiao-live.html

What makes it more comical is Mayweather compared himself to Muhammad Ali. One of the most legendary fighters who ever lived. And he gives a performance like that. Which is pretty sad.

The sad fact is this was the last big money match in boxing awhile and Mayweather may have fucked it up . By coming in safe and worried to actually fight Pac ...he likely hurt the very thing that made him a rich man.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Astonishing Member PretenderNX01's Avatar

As the saying goes- be careful what you wish for.

I doubt Mayweather cares if he hurt what made him rich, I wouldn't if I were that rich. He's got his undefeated rep to look after and that means calculating how to win. That win has to come from points since either is going to knock out the other.

Boxing in general won't go away, there's a lot of unknown fighters out there but professional boxing has been kinda lame for years, still Baseball weathered bigger scandals than a over-hyped fight. Everything is cyclical.

i don't get why a bar has to pay 10 stacks to show a one-off event on television.
    that's absolutely garbage
    What we used to call life has very little worth these days. Welcome to the very edge.
    --Prince Namor (Earth-616)

Fantastic Member Jumpoff AKA JohnnyBlazed's Avatar

I blame Manny, People know how Mayweather fights , it's not a secret dude is a defensive fighter. Mayweather straight embarrassed dude,Manny only landed 81 punches you can't win a fight like that. Manny didn't not have a game plan at all, and when you fight a fighter like Mayweather you have to have strategy.

I don't really know what people could've expected differently from Floyd. That's how he fights, it's always been how he fights unless a certain fighter made him change it up. He has mastered and perfected his craft, and he's undefeated because of it. If anything, people should be pissed at Manny, he's the one with the agressive exciting style and he was pretty passive last night.

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Detox View Post
    I don't really know what people could've expected differently from Floyd. That's how he fights, it's always been how he fights unless a certain fighter made him change it up. He has mastered and perfected his craft, and he's undefeated because of it. If anything, people should be pissed at Manny, he's the one with the agressive exciting style and he was pretty passive last night.
    According to Arum and reports , Pac tore his shoulder weeks ago and was taking pain injections to keep himself going and not delay the fight. There are two sides contending something here.

- Manny's camp claims they told the Nevada commission that he'd need a pain shot before the fight in the locker room. They claim they told them early in the week.

- The Nevada commission claims that Manny's camp told them about his tore shoulder that evening and he needed a shot. They refused to allow the pain shot for his shoulder.

Arum claims that Pac's gonna get a shoulder surgery soon to fix it (and he should have done it really before the fight).
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Incredible Member

So.....you saw it like this, huh?

BANNED

It sounds like people wanted Mayweather to intentionally fight worse than he's able, let himself get punched around a bit to make the fight more exciting and bloody. Actually, it sounds like people wanted him to use a completely different, inferior fighting style because that would have let Pac win. Kind of silly. I understand Pac is a folk hero and Mayweather is an objectively terrible person, but when you just look at the boxing, from his perspective he went out there and did what he's good at. Pac just didn't measure up.
    Last edited by Shawn Hopkins; 05-03-2015 at 11:14 PM.

I think a lot of the frustration does come down to Mayweather being a really, really /awful/ person, yes.
    Last edited by Tendrin; 05-03-2015 at 11:31 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by dzub View Post
    i don't get why a bar has to pay 10 stacks to show a one-off event on television.
    that's absolutely garbage
    There is that.....but also Floyd is boring as hell no wonder Boxing lost market share. Him hugging so much in fights is lame and boring as hell. Its why UFC has better ratings when it not a wrestling fest.

Oh and Floyd being a violent abuser is not helping me care.

Mayweather isn't hurting boxing I think. Dude is such a bad person but really good at what he does and has done for 48 matches. The fault lies with Pacquiao's camp. They're bringing out the shoulder stuff but what was he doing the week leading up to the fight? Taking selfies and making music? That should've been addressed. Plus, his hesitancy to go in and follow up after his flurries were getting nowhere showed he got flustered, and he had to know the only way he could win this was to go for the KO. Mayweather is the current champion and fights a completely different style. Manny not following through and getting stuck in Floyd's tempo lead to his loss. Mayweather acknowledged after the fight how dangerous Pacquiao was and that he didn't feel confident going in for the KO either.

Mayweather has to be the greatest heel in boxing. Like how many people tuned in who don't even regularly watch boxing just to see him (possibly) lose? I think everybody who thought this match was gonna be big should put a quarter in their butts, cause they played themselves. Both fighters are near 40 and not who they were five years ago. Like, seriously, I don't get why anybody thought this fight would be explosive, cause they were told it would be? Like boxing will go in ebbs and flows, but I'm pretty sure Mayweather's heel status can still draw people in off sheer hate (the n word got dropped soooo much on Twitter after he won) and he's got one more match which I bet people will watch.

Plus, Pretty Boy Floyd is like Mayweather before the reboot. He's been fighting like this for what, a decade now? It's not entertaining or as flashy defensively as he was like say, the Mosley/Corrales/Castillo fights but he's been pretty much a slippery ass dude in the ring. I don't think he cares who calls him a coward, he's still getting paid.

I feel bad for those fans in the Philippines though, like everybody was watching Manny. He got job security though, he good
    Last edited by Froggy; 05-04-2015 at 12:21 AM.
    Brad Pitt for Grifter in a WildCATS movie

BANNED

The only people who hurt boxing are the idiots who paid to watch it. PPV is out of control.

I lost interest in boxing decades ago

You're right, it's big money for half assed showings
    "At my core I was never a hero, I was a hunter"

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

In my humble opinion, professional boxing had already been in the toilet long before Saturday's so-called "Fight of the Century", Mayweather simply contributed to it's continued slide into irrelevancy. The combination of top championship matches removed from free TV in favor of obscene PPV fees; the lack of big names and charismatic figures in the heavyweight division which used to drive the sport; the alphabet soup of boxing organizations few can follow; and the meteoric rise of MMA have helped doom boxing, or, at the very least, reduced it from the lofty perch on which the sport used to sit.
    Last edited by WestPhillyPunisher; 05-04-2015 at 03:44 AM.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by PretenderNX01 View Post
    Boxing in general won't go away, there's a lot of unknown fighters out there but professional boxing has been kinda lame for years, still Baseball weathered bigger scandals than a over-hyped fight. Everything is cyclical.
    I think the difference is the cost, you can still check back in with Baseball's biggest events for free in your own home which makes recovery much easier, the next time there's a fight of the century (and god knows how long that will take with current names in Boxing) how many are going to plunk down 60, 70, 80 dollars to watch it?

Boxing will continue to live, but it's going to be further marginalized.