Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Froggy View Post
    Mayweather isn't hurting boxing I think. Dude is such a bad person but really good at what he does and has done for 48 matches. The fault lies with Pacquiao's camp. They're bringing out the shoulder stuff but what was he doing the week leading up to the fight? Taking selfies and making music? That should've been addressed. Plus, his hesitancy to go in and follow up after his flurries were getting nowhere showed he got flustered, and he had to know the only way he could win this was to go for the KO. Mayweather is the current champion and fights a completely different style. Manny not following through and getting stuck in Floyd's tempo lead to his loss. Mayweather acknowledged after the fight how dangerous Pacquiao was and that he didn't feel confident going in for the KO either.

Mayweather has to be the greatest heel in boxing. Like how many people tuned in who don't even regularly watch boxing just to see him (possibly) lose? I think everybody who thought this match was gonna be big should put a quarter in their butts, cause they played themselves. Both fighters are near 40 and not who they were five years ago. Like, seriously, I don't get why anybody thought this fight would be explosive, cause they were told it would be? Like boxing will go in ebbs and flows, but I'm pretty sure Mayweather's heel status can still draw people in off sheer hate (the n word got dropped soooo much on Twitter after he won) and he's got one more match which I bet people will watch.

Plus, Pretty Boy Floyd is like Mayweather before the reboot. He's been fighting like this for what, a decade now? It's not entertaining or as flashy defensively as he was like say, the Mosley/Corrales/Castillo fights but he's been pretty much a slippery ass dude in the ring. I don't think he cares who calls him a coward, he's still getting paid.

I feel bad for those fans in the Philippines though, like everybody was watching Manny. He got job security though, he good
    Froggy is right. You've got two dudes who at this point in their careers are headed for the glue factory. Anyone who expected a toe-to-toe slugfest fell for false advertising.

BANNED

Y'know, even the title of this thread puts all the blame on Mayweather, but let's be honest here, Pac fought like a bum. He wasn't able to keep up with Mayweather on points and didn't change his strategy to try to win any other way.

Also, I have to point out that Mayweather almost certainly doesn't give a **** about the future of boxing or if people quit watching boxing because they don't like his style. If anyone strikes me as a "**** you, got mine" type of person, it's a guy literally nicknamed "Money."
    Last edited by Shawn Hopkins; 05-04-2015 at 06:30 AM.

Extraordinary Member

He won. I'm sure thats all he wanted to do, sure, he "Parked the bus" (a football/soccer term, search it up) but he did what he came to do. Shame it was sucky, but thaTS IT.

BANNED

Boxing has a ton of problems, but it is just about the only sport out there where the athletes actually earn what they deserve rather than having the majority skimmed off the top by greedy executives. MMA may be peaking right now but there isn't a single fighter in UFC whose earnings will ever approach the kind of money that Floyd can rake in, because none of those guys have any control over their own careers. Everything is handed down to them from on high and they are expected just to play their roles and not complain. We might just accept that sports must exist in the form of all-encompassing monopolies with the athletes as mere pieces of meat to be chewed up and spit out, but this is absolutely not a normal state of affairs. Boxers are slowly wresting control of their sport away from all the gamblers, promoters, sanctioning bodies, and other riff-raff and taking matters into their own hands. Granted, this is a luxury reserved for the best of the best and not something that a no-name journeyman can benefit from, but it's a start.

BANNED

So many responses to this.

First off you were watching Welterweights. Guys who way less than most high school kids. You weren't watching two heavyweight sluggers. Ali did the exact same thing. You know what the difference was? Ali weighed 70 lbs more so he could knock someone out with counters, unlike Floyd. That was for most of Ali's prime. The exception was the glorified period of the Frazier/Norton/Foreman fights where Ali was out of his prime, out of the sport for a while, and slower. Therefore during that era he took more hits.

Most of it comes down to people not watching the sport. If you want to call dodging, slipping, clinching, and great footwork "dancing and hugging" go away. Floyd put on a masterclass of defensive fighting. It's the equivalent to two pitchers throwing almost shut outs in baseball. Not exciting for the casual fan, but if you know the sport it's pure class.

The lions share of these people probably never watched a fight before or in 20 years since Tyson.

Quote Originally Posted by lancerman View Post
    So many responses to this.

First off you were watching Welterweights. Guys who way less than most high school kids. You weren't watching two heavyweight sluggers. Ali did the exact same thing. You know what the difference was? Ali weighed 70 lbs more so he could knock someone out with counters, unlike Floyd. That was for most of Ali's prime. The exception was the glorified period of the Frazier/Norton/Foreman fights where Ali was out of his prime, out of the sport for a while, and slower. Therefore during that era he took more hits.

Most of it comes down to people not watching the sport. If you want to call dodging, slipping, clinching, and great footwork "dancing and hugging" go away. Floyd put on a masterclass of defensive fighting. It's the equivalent to two pitchers throwing almost shut outs in baseball. Not exciting for the casual fan, but if you know the sport it's pure class.

The lions share of these people probably never watched a fight before or in 20 years since Tyson.
    Pretty much. I think a lot of people don't respect the art and technique aspects of martial arts. They are really just looking for controlled versions of gladiator duels, instead of the masters of their craft proving it.
    "Race is a social construct, they say. And I remind them that money is a social construct, too. Social constructs have power." — DeRay Mckesson

Obviously the two personalities are completely different, but somebody on Mad Dog Radio(not sure who, Tom Byrne maybe) compared Mayweather to Tim Duncan and it's a decent comparison. Both guys are boring and provide little excitement to the casual fan, but are deadly efficient at what they do. Another obvious difference is that you don't need to pay 100$ a pop to watch Duncan play, but again, Floyd has been fighting this way for virtually his whole career so I don't know what people were expecting from him.

BANNED

other than his out of the ring actions, how is he hurting boxing? by actually boxing?

it was already hurt long ago. the days of watching hagler, hearns, leonard, etc, on regular tv, watching boxing on sundays on the alphabet networks before ppv and a million specialty channels, seem more like myths since it was a long time ago.

Astonishing Member FanboyStranger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dzub View Post
    i don't get why a bar has to pay 10 stacks to show a one-off event on television.
    that's absolutely garbage
    You pay a percentage based on the bar's capacity. Essentially, you're playing a premium on the potential amount of revenue during the broadcast. It's not a great system, which is why most bars passed on showing it.

Extraordinary Member

I'm not sure how this fight could have gone down differently.

I expected Pac to get outboxed and he did. Honestly I can only
    think of one person that I know who DIDN'T see that result coming.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by FanboyStranger View Post
    You pay a percentage based on the bar's capacity. Essentially, you're playing a premium on the potential amount of revenue during the broadcast. It's not a great system, which is why most bars passed on showing it.
    That was probably the roughest part. No regular sports pubs or bars showed it. It was clubs and more upscale craft beer works places that were showing it and charging a cover. Not really the best environment for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Hopkins View Post
    Froggy is right. You've got two dudes who at this point in their careers are headed for the glue factory. Anyone who expected a toe-to-toe slugfest fell for false advertising.
    Thank you! Like, this match was not gonna be super explosive rocket launching Hajime no Ippo type of stuff at all
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Hopkins View Post
    Y'know, even the title of this thread puts all the blame on Mayweather, but let's be honest here, Pac fought like a bum. He wasn't able to keep up with Mayweather on points and didn't change his strategy to try to win any other way.

Also, I have to point out that Mayweather almost certainly doesn't give a **** about the future of boxing or if people quit watching boxing because they don't like his style. If anyone strikes me as a "**** you, got mine" type of person, it's a guy literally nicknamed "Money."
    seriously, I mean people clown him and say he's a sprinter/illiterate but he knows how to count, and probably cares less what we think

Quote Originally Posted by Detox View Post
    Obviously the two personalities are completely different, but somebody on Mad Dog Radio(not sure who, Tom Byrne maybe) compared Mayweather to Tim Duncan and it's a decent comparison. Both guys are boring and provide little excitement to the casual fan, but are deadly efficient at what they do. Another obvious difference is that you don't need to pay 100$ a pop to watch Duncan play, but again, Floyd has been fighting this way for virtually his whole career so I don't know what people were expecting from him.
    This is really apt, the Duncan/Floyd comparison

BANNED

He is illiterate though or close enough to make an easy joke.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Froggy View Post
    seriously, I mean people clown him and say he's a sprinter/illiterate but he knows how to count, and probably cares less what we think
    He's an entertainer, at the end of the day his ability to make a living depends on what potential customers think of him. On top of that, Floyd comes off as an extremely sensitive person, and he probably wants nothing more than to be the kind of beloved champion he probably feels like he deserves to be. Luckily for him though, a lot of fighters have reformed their images in retirement and he'll be given every opportunity to do the same if he wants it.