Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Default Useful Links

USEFUL LINKS
    Here are some links you may find useful. Most of you will be familiar with these already, but I'll post them anyway.

Art of Mike Mignola
    The best official source of information, and it's regularly updated. The FAQs section is worth visiting too.

The Hellboy Wiki
    This website is being wiped into shape by our own Horror Of Sorts. It's still cluttered with lots of film junk, but it is improving very rapidly.

The Hell on Earth Writers' Map
    This is the map Mike Mignola and co. use to keep track of all the disasters and monsters as the world goes to hell. I got to work with Scott Allie to put this together from the map in his office. It was a pain in the arse, but also pretty cool.

Multiversity
    Multiversity is a great comics site where Mignola's works have carved out their own little section. Called "Mignolaversity," they review the comics, run columns, and do interviews. In March 2013 they ran 31 Days of Abe to promote awareness of the then new Abe Sapien ongoing series. I even have my own column, "Hell Notes" on the site, which is lots of fun for me to write. OK, that's enough awkward self-promotion.

The World of the Horned Demon
    This French site is an excellent resource for those that can read it. Full of previews, articles (in particular on the analysis of the graphic style of Mike Mignola), reviews of toys and comics, interviews and even video podcasts. If you are fan of Mike Mignola and a part of the French-speaking community, this site is a must-visit.
    For those of that don't speak French, this site has a habit of unearthing sketches and commissions that are hard to find. It is definitely worth checking out. The previous version of this site was BPRD Center Blog.

The Mike Mignola Appreciation Station
    A Facebook group dedicated to talking about and sharing Mike Mignola's work. They dig up all kinds of gems.

The Mignolaverse Subreddit
    Only in its infancy at the moment, this subreddit focuses on sharing the latest Mike Mignola news.

The Google+ Hellboy Universe community
    Also in its infancy. We'll see if anything comes of it.

Reading Orders
    ThunderPeel's Hellboy Reading Order
    There are many reading order lists out there (of varying quality), but this is the best I've ever found. It's fairly old now though, and hasn't been updated since 2010.

Mignolaversity's Hellboy Universe Reading Order
    This is one I created with Scott Allie. It's meant to be a simple way to read the hardcovers. It's updated annually.

Tumblr

The Hellboy Archive
    For collectors out there, this list is probably the most complete ever seen. An absolutely huge undertaking, well worth checking out. Sadly, it is not regularly updated any more.

Finally, here are some links to creator's websites. Some of these are updated frequently, others haven't been updated in years. These are busy people.
    - Fábio Moon & Gabriel Bá
    - Guy Davis
    - Christopher Golden + A blog!
    - Tyler Crook + DeviantArt + Facebook page!
    - James Harren + DeviantArt!
    - Tonči Zonjić
    - Dave Johnson
    - Francesco Francavilla + A blog + Pulp Sunday!
    - Joe Querio
    - Max Fiumara
    - Becky Cloonan + DeviantArt
    - Jason Latour + DeviantArt
    - Cameron Stewart + Twitter
    - Kevin Nowlan
    - Peter Snejbjerg
    - Ben Stenbeck

Note
    I've certainly missed some key websites here. Let me know if you think there are any I should add.
    Last edited by middenway; 07-17-2016 at 10:05 PM.

Default July 2014 solicitations

Here's the issues...

LOBSTER JOHNSON: GET THE LOBSTER #5 (OF 5)
    Written by: Mike Mignola and John Arcudi
    Art by: Tonči Zonjić
    Colours by: Dave Stewart
    Cover by: Tonči Zonjić

On sale July 2, 2014

The Lobster engages in a firefight with a madman in a biplane on top of a zeppelin!

“Zonjic’s art is cinematic.” —ComicsAlliance

“This is just a fantastic comic.” —Multiversity Comics

ABE SAPIEN #14
    Written by: Mike Mignola and Scott Allie
    Art by: Sebastián Fiumara
    Cover by: Sebastián Fiumara

On sale July 9, 2014, 2014

Abe tries to find out what’s haunting the young woman he’s traveling with, while his own past catches up to him. Abe goes underwater for answers, but a crazed witch claims to hold the answers they both need.

“Easily one of the best books on the shelf each and every month.” —All Comic

B.P.R.D. HELL ON EARTH #121
    Art by: Laurence Campbell
    Colours: Dave Stewart
    Cover by: Laurence Campbell

On sale July 16, 2014, 2014

After a massive blackout shuts down B.P.R.D. headquarters, our heroes are faced with having to exorcise Kate Corrigan and the dead vet who’s with her.
    • From the pages of Hellboy!

“Absolute must-read reading. Scary, exciting, and riveting storytelling. Highest possible recommendation.” —SciFi Pulse

WITCHFINDER: THE MYSTERIES OF UNLAND #2 (OF 5)
    Written by: Kim Newman & Maura McHugh
    Art by: Tyler Crook
    Cover by: Julián Totino Tedesco

On sale July 16, 2014

After a dangerous clash with giant eel monsters, Sir Edward Grey determines that all signs of the secrets of Hallam point to Poole’s Elixir factory.
    • Featuring art by Tyler Crook (Bad Blood, B.P.R.D.)!
    • Created by Mike Mignola!

BALTIMORE: THE WITCH OF HARJU #1 (OF 3)
    Written by: Mike Mignola & Christopher Golden
    Art by: Peter Bergting
    Cover by: Ben Stenbeck

On sale July 30, 2014

Baltimore shelters a woman on the run from a possessed dead man and the witch playing his puppet master.
    • From Hellboy creator Mike Mignola!

“2014 is shaping up to be an intense year for Baltimore.”—Bloody Disgusting

“Although not as well known as Hellboy, Lord Baltimore does have my vote for Mignola’s best work.” —Comic Bastards

And a trade...

B.P.R.D. HELL ON EARTH — VOLUME 9: THE REIGN OF THE BLACK FLAME
    Art by: James Harren
    Cover by: Mike Mignola

On sale September 10, 2014

With Liz Sherman back in fiery action, two B.P.R.D. teams make their way through the monster-filled streets of the Manhattan wasteland in order to reach the Black Flame’s fortress and take down his army. Collects B.P.R.D. Hell on Earth #115-#119.
    • Featuring art by James Harren, with pinups by Mike Mignola, Rafael Albuquerque, Kevin Nowlan, Richard Corben, and Ryan Sook!

“It’s as good a time as any to check in with a series that started as a Hellboy spin-off but has become a force in its own right.” —Comic Book Resources
    Last edited by middenway; 04-30-2014 at 06:36 PM.

Default Hellboy Omnibus Editions

This is just to help people locate certain stories. Please note, the order of these stories have not yet been confirmed.

HELLBOY OMNIBUSES

Hellboy ― Volume 1: Seed of Destruction
    Seed of Destruction
    The Chained Coffin
    The Wolves of Saint August
    Wake the Devil
    Almost Colossus
    1993 Promotional Comic
    1994 Promotional Comic

Hellboy ― Volume 2: Strange Places
    The Right Hand of Doom
    Box Full of Evil
    Being Human
    Conqueror Worm
    The Third Wish
    The Island
    Into the Silent Sea

Hellboy ― Volume 3: The Wild Hunt
    The Mole
    Darkness Calls
    The Wild Hunt
    The Storm and the Fury

Hellboy ― Volume 4: Hellboy in Hell
    The Descent
    Pandemonium
    Family Ties
    Death Riding an Elephant
    The Three Gold Whips
    The Death Card
    The Trials of Dr. Hoffmann
    The Hounds of Pluto
    The Exorcist of Vorsk
    The Spanish Bride
    For Whom the Bell Tolls
    The Magician and the Snake

Hellboy: The Complete Short Stories ― Volume 1
    Pancakes
    The Midnight Circus
    The Nature of the Beast
    Hellboy in Mexico
    Hellboy versus the Aztec Mummy
    Hellboy Gets Married
    The Coffin Man
    The Coffin Man 2: The Rematch
    House of the Living Dead
    The Crooked Man
    The Penanggalan
    The Corpse
    Double Feature of Evil
    The Iron Shoes

Hellboy: The Complete Short Stories ― Volume 2
    The Hydra and the Lion
    The Troll-witch
    The Baba Yaga
    The Sleeping and the Dead
    Heads
    Goodbye Mister Tod
    The Vampire of Prague
    The Vârcolac
    The Bride of Hell
    The Whittier Legacy
    Buster Oakley Gets His Wish
    They That Go Down to the Sea in Ships
    A Christmas Underground
    Dr. Carp's Experiment
    The Ghoul
    In the Chapel of Moloch
    Makoma
    Last edited by middenway; 05-25-2018 at 08:43 AM.

Just a quick chime in to say I'm very glad to see this thread and many of the other great ones moved over. Hopefully we can get some of the stickied again soon

Quote Originally Posted by Skinkie View Post
    Just a quick chime in to say I'm very glad to see this thread and many of the other great ones moved over. Hopefully we can get some of the stickied again soon
    So far this is the only one that's really moved over. The others are just reboots. There's a LOT of stuff to move and it's all manual copying and pasting.

Quote Originally Posted by middenway View Post
    So far this is the only one that's really moved over. The others are just reboots. There's a LOT of stuff to move and it's all manual copying and pasting.
    What a shame, but thanks for the work you put into this along with anyone who contributed.

Thanks for porting it over!
    I'm currently reading the LEs and trying (somewhat) to stick to publishing order but it's a bit of pain to switch out on those big books every 15 pages.
    Just finished Wake the Devil, very good stuff.
    "This cannot be...Is... Is it an omen?!"

Quote Originally Posted by Drakul View Post
    Thanks for porting it over!
    I'm currently reading the LEs and trying (somewhat) to stick to publishing order but it's a bit of pain to switch out on those big books every 15 pages.
    Just finished Wake the Devil, very good stuff.
    It just gets better from there...

I have been looking for a comprehensive and up-to-date list like this forever! Thank you so much! I'm slowly making my way through the universe in TPB format so this helps me immensely with knowing where each volume generally fits in.

Stellar work, as always sir.

You really ought to read at least the canon novels man. Really good. Particularly BONES OF GIANTS.

Quote Originally Posted by Odin View Post
    You really ought to read at least the canon novels man. Really good. Particularly BONES OF GIANTS.
    I wrote that ages ago and haven't gone back to it, but since then I've read The Lost Army and The Dragon Pool. The Bones of Giants is on my list, but I have a lot of other reading to do first, and with Hell Notes, when I'm reading for recreation, I usually want to read something outside the Hellboy Universe for a bit.

Default August 2014 solicitations

Issues:

ABE SAPIEN #15
    Written by: Mike Mignola and Scott Allie
    Art by: Juan Ferreyra
    Cover by: Sebastián Fiumara

On sale August 13, 2014

Before the Black Flame, Hell on Earth, and the death of Roger, Abe faces a creature that threatens to drain the soul from anyone it comes in contact with. The B.P.R.D. have fought for mankind for years—and it’s their own humanity that’s at stake this time.
    Colder artist Juan Ferreyra joins the Mignolaverse!

“As the year rolls on I can’t wait to see just what Mignola and the gang have in store for Abe Sapien.” —Bloody Disgusting

B.P.R.D. HELL ON EARTH #122
    Art by: Joe Querio
    Colours: Dave Stewart
    Cover by: Laurence Campbell

On sale August 20, 2014

Johann travels to Japan to fight giant monsters, but what he discovers is even more disturbing. A man with no brain has been drawing pictures . . . and they tell a terrifying story.
    • Perfect jumping-on point for new readers.

“If you’ve ever fantasized about fighting monsters, there’s no reason to not pick this thing up.” —Comic Bastards

WITCHFINDER: THE MYSTERIES OF UNLAND #3 (OF 5)
    Written by: Kim Newman & Maura McHugh
    Art by: Tyler Crook
    Cover by: Julián Totino Tedesco

On sale August 20

Local officials present a façade of normalcy, but the Witchfinder knows there’s something wrong with the denizens of Unland, and he’s starting to uncover what that has to do with the dying founder of the town and the elixir he invented that put the town on the map . . .
    • Created by Mike Mignola!
    • From the pages of Hellboy!

BALTIMORE: THE WITCH OF HARJU #2 (of 3)
    Written by: Mike Mignola and Christopher Golden
    Art by: Peter Bergting
    Cover by: Ben Stenbeck

On sale August 27, 2014

Baltimore investigates a small town in Estonia where the Red King has been seen. But he has little luck getting the townsfolk to speak with him, and a farmhouse full of broken, bloodied bodies is his only lead.
    • Art by Peter Bergting (The Portent, Domovoi).
    • The story moves beyond the novel for the first time!

Trade:

Now in paperback!
    B.P.R.D. PLAGUE OF FROGS — VOLUME 1
    Written by: Mike Mignola, Christopher Golden, Geoff Johns, Michael Avon Oeming, and others
    Art by: Guy Davis, Ryan Sook, Cameron Stewart, Michael Avon Oeming, and others
    Cover by: Mike Mignola

On sale October 22, 2014

In 2001, Hellboy quit the B.P.R.D., leaving Abe Sapien, Liz Sherman, and a bizarre roster of special agents to defend the world from any occult threats and the growing menace of the frog army. Collects B.P.R.D.: Hollow Earth & Other Stories, B.P.R.D.: The Soul of Venice & Other Stories, and B.P.R.D.: Plague of Frogs.
    • Brand-new trade paperback edition!
    • Guy Davis’s Hellboy-universe debut!
    Last edited by middenway; 07-08-2014 at 05:14 AM.

Possibly silly question: Does anyone know if Sledgehammer 44 has any direct connection to B.P.R.D. 1946?