Page 9 of 22 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Eh, not sure if it matters much for this story or not. I don't have any real expectations for this one. Unfortunately feels kind of like a fill-in run than anything to be especially excited about.

Hopefully it's a fun arc. I just wish it wasn't preceding and thus delaying the end of Hell on Earth.

Amazing Member

beautiful Mignola cover listed for the HP Lovecraft anthology in the Dark Horse June solicits
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by St. August; 03-20-2016 at 03:03 PM.

Amazing Member

Those who don't like spoilers should be wary of this month's solicits...the description of vol. 2 of Hellboy In Hell has a minor one in it, I think.

Amazing Member

There is a fish on Amazon of Lobster Johnson vol. 6 (I know, that vol. 5 with Zonjic arcs is not announced yet), which collects all recent one-shots, and among mentioned artists on the cover there is Ben Stenbeck.
    So, I guess, he is the artist of the next LJ one-shot (after Garden of Bones).

Here is the link - https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1506701787/

Quote Originally Posted by Shargor View Post
    There is a fish on Amazon of Lobster Johnson vol. 6 (I know, that vol. 5 with Zonjic arcs is not announced yet), which collects all recent one-shots, and among mentioned artists on the cover there is Ben Stenbeck.
    So, I guess, he is the artist of the next LJ one-shot (after Garden of Bones).

Here is the link - https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1506701787/
    If they collect the Tonci stories and then the one shots will it move things out of chronological order? I haven't read anything since the 4th trade, so I'm not sure on the dates, but it seemed like they've been going in order after the first trade exception

Amazing Member

Now there is more info for this upcoming trade.

So, the story by Ben Stenbeck is called Mangekyo and is about "a prison break with a familiar enemy behind it".

Default June 2017 solicitiations

Default Hellboy Omnibus Editions

Entertainment Weekly just announced some new omnibus editions... for Hellboy! The first comes out Summer 2018, with another in Autumn, and the next in Winter. The stories will be collected in chronological order, but split into two sets: one for Seed of Destruction and beyond, and another for all the flashback stories.

The main series will be in four volumes:
    1. Seed of Destruction
    1. Strange Places
    3. The Wild Hunt
    4. Hellboy in Hell

And the flashback stories will be in a pair of "The Complete Short Stories" collections.

So will the short stories that take place in the main series (Chained Coffin, Werewolves of St August, etc) be contained in the main volumes or in the shorts? What about the corpse? Looks like it's in the short stories volume based on the cover, but it's pretty crucial to the main story line.

I should point out, these are paperback omnibuses, not hardcovers. If you want Hellboy in hardcover, the library editions are what you go for.
    Quote Originally Posted by Skinkie View Post
    So will the short stories that take place in the main series (Chained Coffin, Werewolves of St August, etc) be contained in the main volumes or in the shorts? What about the corpse? Looks like it's in the short stories volume based on the cover, but it's pretty crucial to the main story line.
    I don't know. I think it'll be Seed of Destruction and beyond in Volumes 1-4, and pre-Seed of Destruction in The Complete Short Stories omnibuses.

Yeah, that's what I'm guessing as well. The Corpse is the only one that I think throws that a bit. But it probably reads ok without it

Quote Originally Posted by Skinkie View Post
    Yeah, that's what I'm guessing as well. The Corpse is the only one that I think throws that a bit. But it probably reads ok without it
    Why? Because the short story 'the Corpse' would amount to being a *flashback*, whereas 'the Wolves of St August' short story or either 'Seed of Destruction' (not of the short story format technically) wouldn't be?

Judging from the new cover in which the corpse is shown together with the mysterious Mexican wrestler mask monster, this collection may underline or enforce the flashbackyness distinction moreso than not.
    Like for a new reader, starting with Seed, in which already a large time-frame or manner-of-flashbacking is presented, they'll know to appreciate how stories may involve flashbacks in a large way, like how the Mexico bit serves as a whole stint of *lost time* in a big way for example?

Like it will be good for readers to come to understand how powerful stuff like 'continuity' or 'origin issues' work in Hellboy stories, but even for the most new or most casual of readers, any stuff will work per story anyway regardless, because each story is made to be?

I personally like the Library Editions, with the extra sketchbook stuff as a look into the kitchen. But the fact that the latest reprints get innovated with evernew covers or even updated sequential order presentation, from which any reader could choose, I rather like that. Like I can appreciate how much thought and attentiveness would go into such. Plus I dig the covers.
    Last edited by Kees_L; 09-09-2017 at 06:07 AM.
    SLINT / Mike Mignola / Walt Whitman / Arthur Lourié / Dr. Pepper

Amazing Member

The only sad thing about these omnibuses is the format. I understand, why they decided to stick to paperback, having already covered hardcover audience with libraries. But by the end of the whole universe it would be nice to have ALL stories in the same format (libraries can stay as a premium items for collectors). Well, technically they will, but only in paperback.

Fantastic Member

Where was it mentioned that the new omnibi will be paperback?