Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    BANNED

Default I'm tired of Lois, Jimmy and reporter Clark

It's time for a shake up damn it, why can't Clark become a cop instead? The Lois relationship is also very boring, Lana and Clark's love (Smallville) was awesome and it was a breath of fresh air. Lois has no personality at all aside from I'm a brave independent women, where is the depth?

Superman's world really needs a shake up and changes because It's been the same like forever.

Anyone else feel the same? If not don't kill me plz<3
    Last edited by Neowing; 05-22-2014 at 02:46 PM.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Uh, that's SUPERMAN.

Why can't Clark be a cop? Because he would never be one, and that's not who he is. He's a writer. At best you can do what Rucka did and make him a police reporter. I work freelance, and have done a tiny bit of reporting. Becoming a cop would be night and day for me, as it would for Clark.

Maybe you should just try a different character?

Stop reading Superman then.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    Uh, that's SUPERMAN.

Why can't Clark be a cop? Because he would never be one, and that's not who he is. He's a writer. At best you can do what Rucka did and make him a police reporter. I work freelance, and have done a tiny bit of reporting. Becoming a cop would be night and day for me, as it would for Clark.

Maybe you should just try a different character?
    Did you really just pull that?

Come on guys, I'm not saying that DC should change what makes Clark who he is but try something different with his stories.
    Last edited by Neowing; 05-22-2014 at 02:54 PM.

Spadassin Extraordinaire Auguste Dupin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Neowing View Post
    It's time for a shake up damn it, why can't Clark become a cop instead? The Lois relationship is also very boring, Lana and Clark's love (Smallville) was awesome and it was a breath of fresh air. Lois has no personality at all aside from I'm a brave independent women, where is the depth?

Superman's world really needs a shake up and changes because It's been the same like forever.

Anyone else feel the same? If not don't kill me plz<3
    Not trying to kill you but...Why should he?
    I mean, think about it: why should Superman in his secret identity do something he can do better as,well, Superman?
    That's like when Diana was a secret agent a bit before the New 52. That was stupid. Because it meant she had to fight bad guys while pretending she's not Wonder Woman, meaning she could not use her powers. Meaning she was making herself less efficient on purpose.
    The only to make Clark work as a cop/fireman/whatever would be to have him just admit he's actually Superman so that he can be Superman all the time and use his powers to make himself as efficient as possible (and even then, it would probably make more sense to,like, strike a deal with the UN so he can become its specialm agent around the world or something).
    Otherwise, the only way to make his secret identity work is for him to have a job where he helps people without having to do stuff he would do better as a superhero. If reporter doesn't cut it, then doctor or worker in an orphanage.
    That's my take on it.
    Hold those chains, Clark Kent
    Bear the weight on your shoulders
    Stand firm. Take the pain.

A cop does not really accommodate the fictional attributes Clark has crafted for his human guise in order to further distinguish himself from Superman.

The rest, its odd to even bring this up now because Superman's classic supporting cast rather has taken a back seat since the New 52 started.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Auguste Dupin View Post
    Not trying to kill you but...Why should he?
    I mean, think about it: why should Superman in his secret identity do something he can do better as,well, Superman?
    That's like when Diana was a secret agent a bit before the New 52. That was stupid. Because it meant she had to fight bad guys while pretending she's not Wonder Woman, meaning she could not use her powers. Meaning she was making herself less efficient on purpose.
    The only to make Clark work as a cop/fireman/whatever would be to have him just admit he's actually Superman so that he can be Superman all the time and use his powers to make himself as efficient as possible (and even then, it would probably make more sense to,like, strike a deal with the UN so he can become its specialm agent around the world or something).
    Otherwise, the only way to make his secret identity work is for him to have a job where he helps people without having to do stuff he would do better as a superhero. If reporter doesn't cut it, then doctor or worker in an orphanage.
    That's my take on it.
    I was thinking that Clark as a cop would get criminal news faster and than save the day as Superman.

Not the gun part and so on.
    Last edited by Neowing; 05-22-2014 at 03:03 PM.

I don't think so.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Quote Originally Posted by Neowing View Post
    I was thinking that Clark as a cop would lead to him getting criminal news faster and than save the day as Superman.

Not the gun part and so on.
    Frankly, we are talking about a guy who can see through a wall a hundred miles from where he stands and hear one specific guy talk at the other side of the city.
    If something happens in Metropolis, he will probably be the first to know.
    I see your point, but I just think that, whatever Clark does end up doing should be far enough from what he does as Superman to have an actual value outside of "I'm something I would do better if I remained Superman".
    Besides, Clark being a reporter is just too iconic at this point. They will never dare change it.
    That being said, I can sort of agree that DC should be more willing to shake the guy's status quo from time to time to create at least an illusion of change. I just happen to believe him becoming a cop is not necessarily the smartest one.
    EDIT: Ho, and as an aside, I'm a bit surprised you didn't mention Lois and Jimmy in your post at all, considering you did in the title.

Astonishing Member

Clark as a cop doesn't really make sense, but I kind of agree that the Daily Planet trappings bore me to tears. I kind of liked that Lobdell got Clark out of there.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Holmes View Post
    Clark as a cop doesn't really make sense, but I kind of agree that the Daily Planet trappings bore me to tears. I kind of liked that Lobdell got Clark out of there.
    I think the biggest problem is that for years, there's been a complete disconnect between his job and his aventures. But when you look at many of the good secret identities, they complement the stories. My favorite example is how Matt Murdock being a lawyer is often an important part of his adventures as Daredevil, like he's taking a case and investigates as his superhero self, and all that.....
    In the Golden Age, or in the early Morrison run, it worked: Clark would investigate a story around the city, revealing a big injustice that he would try to put an end to as Superman. But my theory is that, as he became more powerful and, more importantly, less tied to adventures in Metropolis, his job became less relevant to his adventures. Because he's a reporter for a specific newspaper in a specific city, and he doesn't have the freedom to just cover that thing happening hundreds of miles from where he's supposed to be.
    So, I think that, more importantly than just changing his job, his job should evolve so it can be tied to his superheroic life again. Maybe he should become a freelance, making him free to cover whatever story he likes. Maybe the Planet should evolve into something else, maybe an internationnal website specialized in uncovering well hidden truths or something?
    I don't know exactly, but I feel something should happen to give it a good boost.

Like a scientist? I agree with you with Lois and Jimmy though.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

I love the idea of Clark as a blogger who constantly buds heads with Lois (the "real" reporter).

Cat and Clark running their own thing is cool, it just needs a better name and a writer that knows how to write it. I have no problems with that.

Superman as a cop is really dumb though. It's not who Clark is.

Lois Lane always HAS to be a part of the mythos though, she's his other half.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Auguste Dupin View Post
    Frankly, we are talking about a guy who can see through a wall a hundred miles from where he stands and hear one specific guy talk at the other side of the city.
    If something happens in Metropolis, he will probably be the first to know.
    I see your point, but I just think that, whatever Clark does end up doing should be far enough from what he does as Superman to have an actual value outside of "I'm something I would do better if I remained Superman".
    Besides, Clark being a reporter is just too iconic at this point. They will never dare change it.
    That being said, I can sort of agree that DC should be more willing to shake the guy's status quo from time to time to create at least an illusion of change. I just happen to believe him becoming a cop is not necessarily the smartest one.
    EDIT: Ho, and as an aside, I'm a bit surprised you didn't mention Lois and Jimmy in your post at all, considering you did in the title.
    Good points, I just want a little shake up from all the usual stuff like the evil superman stories and the battles with Lex/Brainiac/Doomsday which we all know the ending to.

When was the last time a real change happened? One that felt natural and not forced? I feel like Superman's world has become so stale :/
    Last edited by Neowing; 05-22-2014 at 03:26 PM.

We'll Pak's first arc was pretty cool. Morrison's Superman was good too. But yeah, a little shake up would be appreciated...bu Superman turning into a monster doesn't count.