Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Incredible Member

Default How Are Power Girl & Super Girl Alike?

Much ink and data bits have been spilled over the years on saying how Power Girl & Super girl are DIFFERENT. But no one every talks about how they are alike.

So in which ways are they alike, mentally, physical, emotional, personality wise, etc?

I like to think as them as sister. Alike in so many ways, but different in so many ways!!
    Last edited by gwhh; 05-26-2014 at 06:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gwhh View Post
    Much ink and data bits have been spilled over the years on saying how Power Girl & Super girl are DIFFERENT. But no one every talks about how they are alike.

So in which ways are they alike, mentally, physical, emotional, personality wise, etc?

The most obvious way they are alike is that they are in a sense the same person. Powergirl was created as Supergirl's Earth-2 counterpart.
    John Martin, citizen & rightful ruler of the omniverse.

BANNED

They're blonde female Kryptonians who are cousins to their universes Supermen?

I read #0-#20 of World Finest and pretty much disliked Powergirl from the get go, whereas I'm a huge Supergirl fan. I really hope that the Earth 1 Supergirl never grows up to have the same personality Powergirl has. She is basically a walking/flying slut. So aside from powers, I think everything else including personality is different for them.

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Xhatch View Post
    I read #0-#20 of World Finest and pretty much disliked Powergirl from the get go, whereas I'm a huge Supergirl fan. I really hope that the Earth 1 Supergirl never grows up to have the same personality Powergirl has. She is basically a walking/flying slut. So aside from powers, I think everything else including personality is different for them.
    Is World's Finest the ONLY book you've ever read with Powergirl in it? If so, I cannot stress to you enough what a terrible starting point that was. See if you can find her solo book from a few years back. I promise, you'll like her a LOT better there.

To answer the question? Kara is a teenager. She's not as confident or as composed as Karen can be (when Karen's being written right) and she tends to be more emotional and impulsive. Karen is more grown-up, more in-control, and more inclined to thinking things through (again, when she's written right.)

In conclusion? Karen is Kara, all grown-up and much more together, having lost none of Kara's zest for life and her free-spirited nature.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

BANNED

outside of being the same person, not much

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

They're doppelgangers of each other.

I love SUPERGIRL. POWERGIRL is okay, I like Helena much more though.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

They're nothing alike at all! Supergirl is a whiny Kryptonian brat, and Power Girl is the grand daughter of the ancient Atlantean sorcerer, Arion!

Duh.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    They're doppelgangers of each other.

I love SUPERGIRL. POWERGIRL is okay, I like Helena much more though.
    have you by chance read th PG solo or was WF your intro to the character?

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard-01 View Post
    Is World's Finest the ONLY book you've ever read with Powergirl in it? If so, I cannot stress to you enough what a terrible starting point that was. See if you can find her solo book from a few years back. I promise, you'll like her a LOT better there.
    Yeah the thing is as a new DC reader with the New 52, the only relevant version of Powergirl is going to be the New 52 version. This, as I mentioned in other threads, is infact a failure of a New 52 style relaunch, as it renders years of prior stories irrelivant & also leaves me with zero motivation to pick up them. So it doesn't matter if Powergirl or Supergirl or [insert any other DC character here] was a completely different/better type of character in the pre-52 because that doesn't impact the New 52 universe that I'm invested in at all. So, while I agree WF Powergirl is unlikeable & pre-52 Powergirl might indeed have been the bee-knees, I can only say that I don't like New 52 Powergirl compared to the New 52 Supergirl, and all other versions are irrelivant to me.

BANNED

Yeah the thing is as a new DC reader with the New 52, the only relevant version of Powergirl is going to be the New 52 version. This, as I mentioned in other threads, is infact a failure of a New 52 style relaunch, as it renders years of prior stories irrelivant & also leaves me with zero motivation to pick up them. So it doesn't matter if Powergirl or Supergirl or [insert any other DC character here] was a completely different/better type of character in the pre-52 because that doesn't impact the New 52 universe that I'm invested in at all. So, while I agree WF Powergirl is unlikeable & pre-52 Powergirl might indeed have been the bee-knees, I can only say that I don't like New 52 Powergirl compared to the New 52 Supergirl, and all other versions are irrelivant to me.
    if you ask me they both suck to varying degrees, though supergirl has been picking up steam in red lanterns thanks to soules

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Well, the point I was trying to make was that Power Girl is a good and interesting character who has simply had the rotten luck to be written by a not-particularly-good writer in the New 52. A new, better, writer would probably do a much better job of showing you why she's awesome in her own right.

The solo title I was referencing is proof of that. It was a fun romp from start to finish and Karen was much more complex and interesting.

I'm just saying don't write her off too soon. Right now? Crappy writing. If she starts being written by a better writer, you may forget all about World's Finest.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

BANNED

Yeah the thing is as a new DC reader with the New 52, the only relevant version of Powergirl is going to be the New 52 version. This, as I mentioned in other threads, is infact a failure of a New 52 style relaunch, as it renders years of prior stories irrelivant & also leaves me with zero motivation to pick up them.
    Good stories aren't motivation enough?

Quote Originally Posted by dupersuper View Post
    Good stories aren't motivation enough?
    Well for me it's not the story issue, it is the vast wealth of old comics that buying into the old continuity brings with it. Yes it's not without its charm knowing I have access to a huge pool of older material, it's just that I see that material as irrelivant to that character that I like, since essentially the New 52 character is very different from the pre-52 version. That can be said for a lot of characters too. However, if DC suddenly did some sort of crisis event that suddenly, somehow, made all the pre-52 timeline stuff cannon again, then yes I'd be 100% interested in reading it all. Ofcourse, no idea how something like that would even work or make any sort of sense.

BANNED

We're very different people...