Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    BANNED

They should have Clark and Cat both go to the Daily Star, and kept it as the smaller paper/news source that would be the countervoice to the corporate controlled Daily Planet. With Lois, Perry and Jimmy all trapped there to a degree because they were under contract...Jimmy could probably get out the easiest.

Really, there is a ton of interesting dramatic stuff that can be done with journalist characters. It's a pretty dangerous profession, especially if you are an idealist character like Jimmy, Lois or Perry. They can get away from the old Daily Planet office/story setting, but they should never take Clark and his supporting cast away from journalism.

Supporting characters exist to perform functions that the main character alone cannot perform. They 'support' the main character. Removing the supporting cast simply to "shake things up" is as helpful to the main character as smashing the foundation is helpful to a building.

Now if there are better stories to be told with a new supporting cast, then it's fine to replace them. Although, that would require a writer to come up with those better stories. So far, I haven't seen any sign of anyone having a good enough story to validate the removal of the supporting cast.

As for Lana being a more interesting love interest, there's nothing to show us that she would be. I don't know if her character has been explored in the new continuity. There's no telling what she could offer to the story. It could be interesting or it could be dull. Again, we would need a writer to step up with stories that are worth telling.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by friendly-fire-press View Post
    I know where you're coming from. I'm not sure about the idea of Clark becoming a cop ... but in Grant Morrison's Action Comics run he became a fire fighter for a brief time ... that idea might be interesting to explore a bit more.

I also agree with your suggestion that the Clark/Lois relationship has been done to death. Even if and when his much more interesting relationship with Wonder Woman comes to an end (hopefully after a decent amount of time) I think it would be an anti-climactic mistake to immediately force him back with Lois. We've just started reading some different stories thanks to the New 52, it would be a shame to stop now ... reintroduce Loris Lemaris and put a new spin on her and Clark's romance, or reintroduce Maxima and create an intense sleeping-with-the-enemy type of story ... or create an entirely new female character altogether
    You want Clark to date a mermaid. Really a mermaid. Do want her to sing "a Part of your World" when she first meets him? Or Maxima who is basically Johns's version of Wonder Woman in JL but an alien and in a skimper outfit.
    I'll give you the new female character, but the thing is that Lois is the archetype for love interests of superheros. She is the Superman of love interests, so any new character would have some similarities with Lois Lane.

Astonishing Member

What the hell do you have against mermaids?

That they're not Lois Lane, apparently.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Holmes View Post
    What the hell do you have against mermaids?
    Nothing but Clark dating a mermaid is just too out there. IMO it turns his book into an episode of Once upon a Time.

Astonishing Member

Superman's world will always be "too out there." Drawing the line at mermaids seems bizarre.

Also, your earlier post is basically implying that all violent/aggressive woman are the same character.

Quote Originally Posted by dangleo61288 View Post
    You want Clark to date a mermaid. Really a mermaid. Do want her to sing "a Part of your World" when she first meets him? Or Maxima who is basically Johns's version of Wonder Woman in JL but an alien and in a skimper outfit.
    I'll give you the new female character, but the thing is that Lois is the archetype for love interests of superheros. She is the Superman of love interests, so any new character would have some similarities with Lois Lane.
    Maxima and Johns' Wonder Woman have about as much in common as a chimpanzee and a dragonfly. And a mermaid is actually a pretty refreshing way to go as far as romantic interests are concerned. As for that last part...just because Lois Lane was the first official romantic interest in a superhero story, does not make her the go-to-standard. Catwoman was inspired by femme fatale vixens of old, and Mary Jane Watson was conceived as a life-loving party girl. Neither has anything particularly significant in common with Lois Lane.
    "If you're afraid - don't do it - and if you're doing it - don't be afraid!" - Genghis Khan

Quote Originally Posted by Neowing View Post
    . Lois has no personality at all aside from I'm a brave independent women, where is the depth?

Superman's world really needs a shake up and changes because It's been the same like forever.

I KIND of agree that Lois is a pretty boring character. However, I can't support the idea of 'this character has no personality... lets bring in someone else who does.' The CORRECT way to do it... would be to GIVE her some personality.

Lois is the one gal on the whole planet who has been able to catch Superman's interest and hold it for 70 years... Personally, I'd like to know WHY.

She's typically not been shown as particularly attractive, and most of the actresses play her as being a real jerk... Spunkiness only goes so far.

I want to see more then just the 'brave independent woman'... But really, just switching girlfriends isn't going to solve the issue.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Neowing View Post
    I'm tired of Lois, Jimmy and reporter Clark
    You...may be reading the wrong character then. If you want a Superman type character in a completely different setting with a different supporting cast, you can read about Hyperion, Icon, Sentry, Samaritan, Apollo, Blue Marvel, Gladiator, Invincible...

Reply to OP.

I'm sorry you feel the classic dynamic between Clark, Lois, and Jimmy needs to be changed, even if I do not agree with you.
    That being said, I've no problem with him developing other relationships with other characters too, such as with Lana for example.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    I KIND of agree that Lois is a pretty boring character. However, I can't support the idea of 'this character has no personality... lets bring in someone else who does.' The CORRECT way to do it... would be to GIVE her some personality.

Lois is the one gal on the whole planet who has been able to catch Superman's interest and hold it for 70 years... Personally, I'd like to know WHY.

She's typically not been shown as particularly attractive, and most of the actresses play her as being a real jerk... Spunkiness only goes so far.

I want to see more then just the 'brave independent woman'... But really, just switching girlfriends isn't going to solve the issue.
    Imo, I don't think you can give Lois anything more than "I'm a independent woman", theres a limited amount of stuff that you can do with her unlike a new characte. But It's worth to try because Lois is so deep in Superman's myth.

For me Lana proved that Lois isn't the only one for Clark and that's why I liked their relationship. I don't want that relationship again because It's been done though.
    Last edited by Neowing; 05-23-2014 at 05:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by friendly-fire-press View Post
    I know where you're coming from. I'm not sure about the idea of Clark becoming a cop ... but in Grant Morrison's Action Comics run he became a fire fighter for a brief time ... that idea might be interesting to explore a bit more.

I also agree with your suggestion that the Clark/Lois relationship has been done to death. Even if and when his much more interesting relationship with Wonder Woman comes to an end (hopefully after a decent amount of time) I think it would be an anti-climactic mistake to immediately force him back with Lois. We've just started reading some different stories thanks to the New 52, it would be a shame to stop now ... reintroduce Loris Lemaris and put a new spin on her and Clark's romance, or reintroduce Maxima and create an intense sleeping-with-the-enemy type of story ... or create an entirely new female character altogether
    Yes Clark and Maxima hell yea they should make it happen let him slowly change her war mongering ways. So hope she will be a love interest whenever she is introduced.

I know this really flies in the face of making Lois MORE interesting, but I often wondered what if she were the mild-mannered, quiet, and enigmatic one, and Clark had to figure her out. The theory sounds interesting to me, but I'm sure nobody would like it.

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    I know this really flies in the face of making Lois MORE interesting, but I often wondered what if she were the mild-mannered, quiet, and enigmatic one, and Clark had to figure her out. The theory sounds interesting to me, but I'm sure nobody would like it.
    One doesn't have to be quiet in order to be hard to figure out. Lois is full of contradictions and is constantly surprising Clark/Superman. She's far from an open book simply because she portrays herself as confident and loud.