Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast
Results 76 to 90 of 150
  1. #76
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    6,613

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    Yeah I remember that (I think Johns wrote that) and I hear ya mate... I guess what I'm trying to say is how fanboys like myself treat male characters vs. how some of those same qualities are used against female characters (I'll be honest I've done that). I mean Bruce is often coveted by fans because he's a mere mortal with flaws fighting the good fight (like us)...which is great but when it applies to say someone like Lois it's used to degrade her aka she's a jerk.
    it's normal. comics are full of double standarts for female and male characters.

    I really love how Lois is a expansive, cocky character, it's what makes me and other women love her. I don't want see her enter another standart for women. she was never the sweet type.

  2. #77
    Astonishing Member misslane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2,667

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    If he really wanted to make use of himself outside of Superman then he'd be a doctor or a scientist.
    This was covered in JMS' Earth One:


    One of the reasons Clark likes being a reporter is because it's actually not something he can do super fast. Finding the right words to empower and inspire people is more of an art than a science, so he likes the challenge and admires people who do it well. I like it as part of the Superman story because it gives it more texture and balance: brains v. brawn, science v. art, etc.

  3. #78
    AT EASE, LOO-SUH! Superlad93's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    7,399

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by misslane View Post
    This was covered in JMS' Earth One:


    One of the reasons Clark likes being a reporter is because it's actually not something he can do super fast. Finding the right words to empower and inspire people is more of an art than a science, so he likes the challenge and admires people who do it well. I like it as part of the Superman story because it gives it more texture and balance: brains v. brawn, science v. art, etc.
    Sure and I covered that to some extent. The only thing is that's a cop out. It'd be more practical for him to be a doctor or a scientist. He'd help just as much people if not more in the long run. But that's not the point Superman is about small kindnesses moving mountains. His writing may not save that child from dying from an illness but it could shed light on it and get more people to help in the long run. That's like how the Kents showing Superman love at an early age regardless of what he was led to the world being a better place. That's why Clark gives money to every homeless person he sees and knows them by name. That's why his stories are mainly on the people that everyone else forgot. It all comes right in the end with these small kindnesses.

    But then again he could very well inspire people as a selfless doctor or scientist who takes the less known patents, who looks for the lesser known cures ect. One could make a case for things like that and how they make more sense logically. Just cuz an awful book like Earth one touched on them for a page or two doesn't equal the end all be all of the discussion by a long shot.

  4. #79
    Astonishing Member misslane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2,667

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    But then again he could very well inspire people as a selfless doctor or scientist who takes the less known patents, who looks for the lesser known cures ect. One could make a case for things like that and how they make more sense logically. Just cuz an awful book like Earth one touched on them for a page or two doesn't equal the end all be all of the discussion by a long shot.
    No where did I suggest that Earth One was the "end all be all of the discussion." I shared the scans to show that the ideas your post explored, including some of the questions you raised, were of interest to a writer who recently worked on Superman, and seeing how he addressed those issues and answered those questions could provide helpful insight as to why those other professions aren't for Clark. Journalism is ideal because he admires the people in the profession and it allows Clark to affect systemic change. Instead of helping impoverished patients, Clark's writing aims to address the root causes of poverty and encourage both the people and the politicians to take action to fix the problem. In short, through the power of words Clark can alleviate the symptoms and cure the multitude of problems that cause society itself to be diseased. The patient is truth, humanity, etc.
    Last edited by misslane; 05-23-2014 at 01:16 PM.

  5. #80
    AT EASE, LOO-SUH! Superlad93's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    7,399

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by misslane View Post
    No where did I suggest that Earth One was the "end all be all of the discussion." I shared the scans to show that the ideas your post explored, including some of the questions you raised, were of interest to a writer who recently worked on Superman, and seeing how he addressed those issues and answered those questions could provide helpful insight as to why those other professions aren't for Clark. Journalism is ideal because it allows Clark to affect systemic change. Instead of helping impoverished patients, Clark's writing aims to address the root causes of poverty and encourage both the people and the politicians to take action to fix the problem. In short, through the power of words Clark can alleviate the symptoms and cure the multitude of problems that cause society itself to be diseased. The patient is truth, humanity, etc.
    I see I wasn't clear on what your intentions were for the post. Also yes that's pretty much what I was getting at. But the question of which is a better use of the Clark Kent identity that goes beyond his personal wants is on going. The holes logic for his reporter life a visible and grow more glaring as time goes on. It's poetic and thematically nice but that's where it ends for a character as capable as Superman.

  6. #81
    BANNED
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Anywhere
    Posts
    354

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by misslane View Post
    This was covered in JMS' Earth One:


    One of the reasons Clark likes being a reporter is because it's actually not something he can do super fast. Finding the right words to empower and inspire people is more of an art than a science, so he likes the challenge and admires people who do it well. I like it as part of the Superman story because it gives it more texture and balance: brains v. brawn, science v. art, etc.
    Reporters hardly help or inspire people nowadays.

    If Clark really wanted to change things by words then why not become a politican or go for president where he could do really do amazing changes.

  7. #82
    Astonishing Member DochaDocha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2,706

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Neowing View Post
    Reporters hardly help or inspire people nowadays.

    If Clark really wanted to change things by words then why not become a politican or go for president where he could do really do amazing changes.
    There's much cynical snickering going on right now...

  8. #83
    Rookie Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    77

    Default

    He is a President on one earth in the Multiverse. In fact he is going to be in the Multiverse comic that is coming out in a few months.

  9. #84
    436 posts and counting... TheFearlessDefender89's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    242

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    There's much cynical snickering going on right now...
    Glad I'm not the only one who caught that...
    Pull List: Harley Quinn, Superman Unchained, She-Hulk, Ms.Marvel, The Fearless Defenders (R.I.P.)
    *~ValkyrieXAnnabelle~*

  10. #85
    AT EASE, LOO-SUH! Superlad93's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    7,399

    Default

    President Superman was and will be really awesome! His very idea is one that interest me more than I thought it ever could actually. I was very surprised (pleasantly) by this.

  11. #86
    Astonishing Member misslane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2,667

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Neowing View Post
    Reporters hardly help or inspire people nowadays.
    That doesn't mean they should stop trying. It means we need more journalists like Clark Kent to restore some integrity to the profession.

    If Clark really wanted to change things by words then why not become a politican or go for president where he could do really do amazing changes.
    Change doesn't have to earth shattering in order for it to be meaningful. This year Chris Hamby won a Pulitzer for his investigative reporting how some lawyers and doctors rigged a system to deny benefits to coal miners stricken with black lung disease. His work resulted in remedial legislative efforts. Journalism, in this case, helped people who were suffering as a result of corruption, and it did so in a way that harkened back to Golden Age Superman using his gifts to end unsafe mining practices. Moreover, as most former Presidents can attest, it is much easier to affect change outside of Washington. Just look at the way politicians have failed to change how the government attends to the healthcare needs of our veterans. Despite decades of promising to help veterans, politicians have accomplished little to make it easier for them to receive the care they need.

  12. #87
    Astonishing Member Coal Tiger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2,021

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Neowing View Post
    Reporters hardly help or inspire people nowadays.

    If Clark really wanted to change things by words then why not become a politican or go for president where he could do really do amazing changes.
    Because Superman doesn't want to rule. He has no interest in being in charge of humanity or having some authority. He wants to nudge humanity, not direct it.

  13. #88
    Spadassin Extraordinaire Auguste Dupin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,541

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Neowing View Post
    Reporters hardly help or inspire people nowadays.

    If Clark really wanted to change things by words then why not become a politican or go for president where he could do really do amazing changes.
    Isn't there whole "not actually american" issue going against this?
    I mean, sure, he could lie about it, but that'd be kind of a messy way to start his political career (although that would create a completely new dynamic to the whole "secret identity" thing is the very exposure of his superheroic life would destroy everything he build as Clark Kent.)
    Hold those chains, Clark Kent
    Bear the weight on your shoulders
    Stand firm. Take the pain.

  14. #89
    Spadassin Extraordinaire Auguste Dupin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,541

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Coal Tiger View Post
    Because Superman doesn't want to rule. He has no interest in being in charge of humanity or having some authority. He wants to nudge humanity, not direct it.
    Fun fact: being president of the USA does not make Superman "in charge of humanity", because there's more to humanity than the US.
    Although that's a common mistake with Americans.
    That and Presidents don't "rule" the way your sentence imply.
    Hold those chains, Clark Kent
    Bear the weight on your shoulders
    Stand firm. Take the pain.

  15. #90
    Astonishing Member Coal Tiger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2,021

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Auguste Dupin View Post
    Fun fact: being president of the USA does not make Superman "in charge of humanity", because there's more to humanity than the US.
    Although that's a common mistake with Americans.
    That and Presidents don't "rule" the way your sentence imply.
    Right, but that's as close as it gets in terms of real world positions. He doesn't want the authority to be in that kind of position of power.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •