Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by kidstandout View Post
    i'm not talking about her role per say, but the overall idea that putting a new coat of paint on a Cadillac el dorado makes it fresh even though the interior is still the same.
    Telling a love story in a new way is not even remotely like putting a new color of paint on a car. The kind of change I'm talking about is upgrading a Cadillac to include new features and benefits it didn't have before while retaining the parts of the car that has made it so popular. The kind of change you and others are advocating is tantamount to selling the Cadillac and replacing it with Porsche.

it seems like your doing exactly that for clois which is again just putting a new spin on an old idea.
    A new spin on and old idea is nothing like changing the color of a car.

i agree up until the bolded part, but let's not retread old battle grounds shall we. IMO smallville is another example of the same analogy from my first point. while it does handle certain plots better then most of the superman stuff in the couples years that preceded it, it was basically a retelling of grounds that were already covered before. mythos need to expand and evolve, not retread. the ideals from what has been done before should be kept, but that can be done without reusing the same plots, dynamics and supporting characters. just ask spiderman.
    Smallville did not reuse any of the same plots found in previous incarnations of the Superman myth. It borrowed some structures and ideas from the past but always put them together in new ways to create something that absolutely had never been done before. Myths expand and evolve by using core elements in new ways to achieve the same overarching goals.

the few instances where they have and it didn't work and can all be atributed to bad writers. best example, scott lobdell. the idea of him no longer working with the daily and doing his own thing with kat was good, but executed poorly. a better writer like morrison or pak would of been capable of making it work. and just because attempts to move the plot forward didn't work doesn't mean they should just stop trying. clark being his own boss and not having to pander to perry is more then enough to warrant not being at the daily. you already said you don't know what being a blogger entails in full, how would you know how different it would be from being in the daily?
    The idea of Clark working for his own blog is not a good idea. As the co-owner and editor of the entire non-entertainment side of the blog, Clark has even more responsibility and stress than he did at The Daily Planet. Even worse, his new responsibilities as the co-owner of a blog have little to do with the actual writing Clark professes to enjoy. Yet, more importantly, part of what has always made Clark a relatable and identifiable figure is his subordinate position to his boss, Perry White, and the stresses associated with blending into a traditional workplace environment. By attempting to make things easier for Clark by giving him more freedom to write what he wants when he wants to write it and distancing him from regularly interacting with a stable supporting cast of coworkers, you are undermining one of the critical ways in which Clark is the humble Average Joe juxtaposed with his power fantasy alter ego.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by misslane View Post
    Telling a love story in a new way is not even remotely like putting a new color of paint on a car. The kind of change I'm talking about is upgrading a Cadillac to include new features and benefits it didn't have before while retaining the parts of the car that has made it so popular. The kind of change you and others are advocating is tantamount to selling the Cadillac and replacing it with Porsche.

A new spin on and old idea is nothing like changing the color of a car.

Smallville did not reuse any of the same plots found in previous incarnations of the Superman myth. It borrowed some structures and ideas from the past but always put them together in new ways to create something that absolutely had never been done before. Myths expand and evolve by using core elements in new ways to achieve the same overarching goals.

The idea of Clark working for his own blog is not a good idea. As the co-owner and editor of the entire non-entertainment side of the blog, Clark has even more responsibility and stress than he did at The Daily Planet. Even worse, his new responsibilities as the co-owner of a blog have little to do with the actual writing Clark professes to enjoy. Yet, more importantly, part of what has always made Clark a relatable and identifiable figure is his subordinate position to his boss, Perry White, and the stresses associated with blending into a traditional workplace environment. By attempting to make things easier for Clark by giving him more freedom to write what he wants when he wants to write it and distancing him from regularly interacting with a stable supporting cast of coworkers, you are undermining one of the critical ways in which Clark is the humble Average Joe juxtaposed with his power fantasy alter ego.
    sounds more like your asking for a new paint job when all you ever seem to be satisfied with is a new spin on the clois dynamic. actually upgrading the Cadillac to include new features and benefits it didn't have before while retaining the parts of the car that has made it so popular would be keeping characters like lois and jimmy and perry around without them having to serve the exact same roles as the past all the time. if you want the latter by all means go ahead, but don't pretend it's in any way fresh just because of a change minor details. i'd rather make a new cadillac model that's faithful to the original while making improvements to the original design.

its basically the same concept metaphorically, the overall plot is the car, the new twists are the paint.

way to contradict your self. borrowing old structures and ideas and using them in new ways is exactly the same thing. again new paint job plots brah. putting a new twist like lois always knowing clark is supes or meeting luther earlier doesn't change the fatc that it's basically the same story of old. the dynamics are the same, just with a new twist to fool the viewer into thinking the plot hasn't been done before.

in your opinion. the execution wasn't there but the idea itself could work. you mean to tell me clark can manage an ice fortress filled to the brim with dangerous creatures on his own accord but he would struggle running a blogging company, most of which is done online? again, you have said you don't know what exactly it would entail so until you do, it would serve you well to not speak on the issue. in regards to not seeing clark do more writing, it's not the plot's fault. blame the writer for not executing that well. i could just as easily relate to an entrepreneur as i can to a subordinate. wile the latter has been more prevalent in clark's history, he shouldn't be a slave to it. especially when becoming the former moves the plot and his mythos forward instead of holding it back.
    Last edited by kidstandout; 05-24-2014 at 11:42 AM.

sounds more like your asking for a new paint job when all you ever seem to be satisfied with is a new spin on the clois dynamic. actually upgrading the Cadillac to include new features and benefits it didn't have before while retaining the parts of the car that has made it so popular would be keeping characters like lois and jimmy and perry around without them having to serve the exact same roles as the past all the time. if you want the latter by all means go ahead, but don't pretend it's in any way fresh just because of a change minor details. i'd rather make a new cadillac model that's faithful to the original while making improvements to the original design.
    A new version of the mythology that uses Lois, Perry, and Jimmy in new ways to serve the same goals is exactly how to be faithful to the original design while making improvements. A version of the mythology that uses Lois, Perry, and Jimmy in completely new ways to serve completely new goals is going beyond upgrading to a new model towards building an entirely new model of automobile.

its basically the same concept metaphorically, the overall plot is the car, the new twists are the paint.
    Your metaphor doesn't work because the color of a car has absolutely nothing to do with changing it. The kind of change that sort of cosmetic alteration would mean for the Superman mythos would be changing the name of The Daily Planet to The Daily Star or reinvisioning Lois Lane as an African American.

way to contradict your self. borrowing old structures and ideas and using them in new ways is exactly the same thing. again new paint job plots brah. putting a new twist like lois always knowing clark is supes or meeting luther earlier doesn't change the fatc that it's basically the same story of old. the dynamics are the same, just with a new twist to fool the viewer into thinking the plot hasn't been done before.
    You don't seem to have any idea what a plot actually is. A plot is the way the story is told. Smallville plots, especially its Lois/Clark plot, did not replicate any Superman plot that has been done before. No one who watched Lois and Clark: The New Adventures of Superman and Smallville could possibly come to the conclusion that both shows followed the same plots just because Clark worked at the DP and eventually married Lois Lane.

in your opinion. the execution wasn't there but the idea itself could work. you mean to tell me clark can manage an ice fortress filled to the brim with dangerous creatures on his own accord but he would struggle running a blogging company, most of which is done online? again, you have said you don't know what exactly it would entail so until you do, it would serve you well to not speak on the issue.
    I know enough about journalism, the media, and business to know that owning a media company and serving as its primary news editor would be more work for Clark than filing a few human interest stories at the DP. The execution of the blogging storyline confirms to me that Clark can't handle the responsibility of co-owning a blog.

in regards to not seeing clark do more writing, it's not the plot's fault. blame the writer for not executing that well. i could just as easily relate to an entrepreneur as i can to a subordinate. wile the latter has been more prevalent in clark's history, he shouldn't be a slave to it. especially when becoming the former moves the plot and his mythos forward instead of holding it back.
    Clark becoming a freelance reporter or a blogger is a cosmetic change that does nothing to enrich the mythology. Absolutely nothing. It's change for the sake of change. Instead of taking Clark away from something as the change, change the thing he would be leaving. For example, keep Lois, Jimmy, Perry, and the name Daily Planet but make it a new and experimental type venture instead of Clarkcatropolis which divorces Clark from his cherished friends and the iconic DP name for no real advantages, yet with the disadvantage of cluttering up stories so that now Lois, Jimmy, Perry, etc. and Cat/Clarkcatropolis have two separate stories, settings, and casts to service.
    Last edited by misslane; 05-24-2014 at 12:31 PM.

BANNED

It's not like Clark kent can't write for Daily planet and have a blog also.

Quote Originally Posted by friendly-fire-press View Post
    I think when the relaunch occurred DC did mention they wanted to attract new fans/ readers ... but, first and foremost, I think the New 52, ideally speaking, was meant to try new approaches, new ideas, etc
    well any story for new fans is new.
    Last edited by Blacksun; 05-24-2014 at 12:43 PM.

BANNED

You all make good points.

Maybe I have just grown tired of Superman and his world haha

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

I'd love to see Lori reappear. Maybe not as a mermaid, but a handicapped girl Clark dated.

She could be turned into a mermaid for a few issues and have Superman and Aquaman team up.

BANNED

A new version of the mythology that uses Lois, Perry, and Jimmy in new ways to serve the same goals is exactly how to be faithful to the original design while making improvements. A version of the mythology that uses Lois, Perry, and Jimmy in completely new ways to serve completely new goals is going beyond upgrading to a new model towards building an entirely new model of automobile.

Your metaphor doesn't work because the color of a car has absolutely nothing to do with changing it. The kind of change that sort of cosmetic alteration would mean for the Superman mythos would be changing the name of The Daily Planet to The Daily Star or reinvisioning Lois Lane as an African American.

You don't seem to have any idea what a plot actually is. A plot is the way the story is told. Smallville plots, especially its Lois/Clark plot, did not replicate any Superman plot that has been done before. No one who watched Lois and Clark: The New Adventures of Superman and Smallville could possibly come to the conclusion that both shows followed the same plots just because Clark worked at the DP and eventually married Lois Lane.

I know enough about journalism, the media, and business to know that owning a media company and serving as its primary news editor would be more work for Clark than filing a few human interest stories at the DP. The execution of the blogging storyline confirms to me that Clark can't handle the responsibility of co-owning a blog.

Clark becoming a freelance reporter or a blogger is a cosmetic change that does nothing to enrich the mythology. Absolutely nothing. It's change for the sake of change. Instead of taking Clark away from something as the change, change the thing he would be leaving. For example, keep Lois, Jimmy, Perry, and the name Daily Planet but make it a new and experimental type venture instead of Clarkcatropolis which divorces Clark from his cherished friends and the iconic DP name for no real advantages, yet with the disadvantage of cluttering up stories so that now Lois, Jimmy, Perry, etc. and Cat/Clarkcatropolis have two separate stories, settings, and casts to service.
    it still the same parts though, just because they are being re-purposed doesn't mean the car itself has become something else.

i'm comparing it to changing minor details of the plot, that's not limited to just cosmetics.

nope, apparently you don't. "Also called storyline. the plan, scheme, or main story of a literary or dramatic work, as a play, novel, or short story". http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/plot. the only things smallville have done differently is have clark in the role of superman without the costume, lois knowing about him being supes, and him dealing with luther earlier. just about everything else has been done before.

i didn't know clark was the type to stick with something because it's easier, especially when he says otherwise in smww #2 XD

opinion, opinion and more opinion. and i'm sorry, clark needs to work with lois and co to interact with them? i'm loving that tunnel vision you got there...

it still the same parts though, just because they are being re-purposed doesn't mean the car itself has become something else.
    If the motivation for the re-purposing of key elements is motivated by the desire to achieve a different goal, then the product has become something else entirely.

i'm comparing it to changing minor details of the plot, that's not limited to just cosmetics.
    Changing the central love story in the Superman myth is not a minor detail. Changing the location and nature of Clark's human profession is not a minor detail.

nope, apparently you don't. "Also called storyline. the plan, scheme, or main story of a literary or dramatic work, as a play, novel, or short story". http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/plot. the only things smallville have done differently is have clark in the role of superman without the costume, lois knowing about him being supes, and him dealing with luther earlier. just about everything else has been done before.
    Smallville did so much more to distinguish itself than playing around with the chronology of costumes and secret reveals. Everything about the plot was different: how baby Kal-El arrived in Smallville, his relationship with Lana Lang, his childhood friends, meteor freaks, when he meets the Justice League, how he first encounters villains like Zod and Brainiac, etc. There is not a single version of the Superman myth that put together the central elements of the myth together in the same way Smallville put them together. The plot is the plan of a story or how the different elements of a story are put together. What is essential to continuity and integrity of a myth is to retain the elements of the myth while playing around with the plot that contains them. The only thing you cannot do is change the plot so drastically as to shift the meaning and purpose of the core mythic elements.

i didn't know clark was the type to stick with something because it's easier, especially when he says otherwise in smww #2 XD
    Clark was speaking to the joy he found in the challenge of putting the right words together because he loves the power of words. He was not singing the praises of managing the business and administrative aspects of blogging.

opinion, opinion and more opinion. and i'm sorry, clark needs to work with lois and co to interact with them? i'm loving that tunnel vision you got there...
    Yes, he needs to work with them. Why? Because working with his supporting cast has always been a core element of Superman's mythology. It's crucial to require Clark to maintain his personal relationships and professional responsibilities within the milieu of The Daily Planet because it allows for a much more thorough and rewarding exploration of the dual identity theme. If you take Clark out of the DP to be a blogger or freelancer only to contrive ways in which he can continue to interact with Lois and other supporting cast members in relatively familiar ways, then you've changed nothing. It's a change for the sake of change that does little to add to mythology other than to say it's different. If being a blogger fundamentally changes nothing, then what is the point? The only way a change like this makes sense is if Lois, Jimmy, and Perry join Clark at his newly successful blog. But even that sort of adjustment is essentially returning to the same DP dynamic that existed in various forms throughout the myth anyway.

Astonishing Member

Doesn't that kind of behavior raise serious questions about ethics and power for Superman?
    Well I think good characters should raise questions that make us step back and wonder about them as people. Their methods and reasoning behind them.

Plus I think Superman would have to learn to separate the riff-raff from the pertinent information and I’m always up for character progression and introspection.

I don't know how videoblogs work, but I question whether those millions of subscribers translates into much of an income. Clark needs to work for an actual institution so that he can receive a salary. He needs a salary because he needs the money to participate in human life and maintain his secret identity. Your examples are of people who are using social media to get their foot in the door of a larger industry.
    The Swedish guy and Phan make in the range of seven figures off the youtube partnership alone. Clark could live quite comfortably if he wanted to off wideoblogging.

The point of idealism is to not give up on something like traditional news media as irredeemable and incapable of transformation, but rather to lead it to change with the times and to form it into something that is influential and respected. The reporters and producers portrayed in Aaron Sorkin's The Newsroom are good examples of people who, like you, recognize that the media is in need of reform yet, unlike you, still believe in it and so engage in a mission to improve it.
    I’d like to think that a Superman news blog would be a guiding light for other news media to follow behind and find its way. But that’s largely because I see Superman as a lead by example sort of character.

Besides I see this as Lois’s domain anyways. While I mainly put those suggestions for the switch up in Clark's life because of the privileges he enjoys with his powers as Superman I think showing Lois trying to change the direction of news media from the inside and watching Clark doing so from the outside could be a more unique approach than what we’ve been getting so far.

Superman needs to succeed as regular Clark Kent. Clark Kent is someone Superman truly is and not a facade, so to live as Clark and maintain that identity he needs a job that pays the bills. It can't just be a hobby, and Clark's work as a journalist does not prevent him from aiding the common man through his reporting. It's a little disturbing to me that in addition to unrestrained spying, you're also describing expanding Superman's role into something like a politician. Taken together, you've created an individual who raises serious questions related to ethics and power.
    But Superman and Clark Kent are one in the same so Superman’s triumphs are Clark’s triumph and vice versa. And, no being a journalist doesn't stop Clark from aiding the common man, but for a man with his abilities, clout, and resources he could do infinitely more for the lesser privileged. Imagine the difference between Clark Kent writing an article about the pay gap between men and women and Superman doing a discussion on it with Wonder Woman on his personal youtube channel.

Also the “spying” would probably be no different than the usual patrolling most superheroes do when they’re out looking to see what evil is going on in the world. He’s not going to be looking through the information of Peggy-Sue and John Q. Public, but listening for cries for help, making sure all is well in the world, keeping up on practices of major businesses. I wouldn’t have him going full blown NSA.

And I wouldn’t call what I described as a politician since he's not back any particular political party or looking to hold any seat in government. More like an educator, someone who is trying to enlighten the world on issues that they don’t understand or care about.

I just think that's too much. You might as well call him Jesus if he's a rabble rouser, god, and miracle worker. Having a regular day job humanizes Clark as someone who experiences something similar to the common man he champions, and it supports the secret identity and human life that he likes to have for his own sake and for the sake of the loved ones who the secret identity protects.
    You can still support the secret identity trope and do the charity doctor routine. I put the doctor idea forth because we know he can be this super doctor that could help tons of people that can’t receive proper medical attention in and out of the US but simply chooses not to unless they happen to be his friends. Seems fairly self centered to me.

Besides, Clark would have laid waste to the Romans.
    Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory

Wow, this is an odd thing to request for.

BANNED

I miss Reporter Clark and his interactions with Jimmy and Lois.

Quote Originally Posted by Neowing View Post
    It's time for a shake up damn it, why can't Clark become a cop instead? The Lois relationship is also very boring, Lana and Clark's love (Smallville) was awesome and it was a breath of fresh air. Lois has no personality at all aside from I'm a brave independent women, where is the depth?

Superman's world really needs a shake up and changes because It's been the same like forever.

Anyone else feel the same? If not don't kill me plz<3
    Clark should also move back into his parents' house and major fight scenes should take place in the barn.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyBlueElf View Post
    I miss Reporter Clark and his interactions with Jimmy and Lois.
    yes, a fan asked more stuff like this from johns in a comic con. Seems like we will have more of it. I don't know why people dislike so much superman supporting characters. I wonder if there is batman fans that doesn't like robins, batgirls, that he is a playboy millionaire...

Quote Originally Posted by Blacksun View Post

well any story for new fans is new.
    I guess that's technically true, in the sense that anyone who hasn't read a comic before is experiencing something new when they pick up a comic for the first time. However, there are some concepts, status quos, etc which have been so over-utilised for such an extended period of time that even people outside the comic market are familiar with the story, even if it's just the general gist

Quote Originally Posted by friendly-fire-press View Post
    I guess that's technically true, in the sense that anyone who hasn't read a comic before is experiencing something new when they pick up a comic for the first time. However, there are some concepts, status quos, etc which have been so over-utilised for such an extended period of time that even people outside the comic market are familiar with the story, even if it's just the general gist
    It's not technically true. It is true. I had a passing familiarity with Marvel's Thor mythology prior to seeing the two recent films featuring the character, but everything I saw in those movies was new to me. Some people also mistakenly believed Superman and Wonder Woman were a couple prior to the New 52 because their characters are so similar in power and coloring. Does that mean no one should ever tell a Superman and Wonder Woman story? The "general gist" some novices have of the Lois and Clark love story is not a valid excuse for failing to tell that story in a new way for a new generation of readers. What you do to surprise those readers who think they know what Lois and Clark is all about is to tell their story in a brand new way. Man of Steel accomplished this task, for example. DC should be capable of using reader expectations as a means of subverting them with new twists on familiar, timeless ideas. Tossing out a successful, popular, and beloved concept out of the window just because people know about it is such a strange concept to me. It doesn't sound like a viable creative strategy at all.