Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Which Superhero Characters Could Or Should Be Portrayed As Asexual?

We had a thread on the Marvel boards about characters we'd like to see portrayed as LGBTQ. I wanted to make a thread about super hero characters you think could or should be portrayed as asexual. My choices:

>Batman
    >Wonder Woman
    >Jason Todd
    >Tim Drake
    >Cass Cain
    >Black Cat
    >Darkseid
    >Joker
    >Martian Manhunter
    >Superboy
    >Aqualad (Jackson Hyde)
    >Starfire
    >Storm

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

I'm not really sure what the frisson of an asexual Joker, Black Cat, or Batman are, or the gain of an asexual J'onn or Storm.

Care to unpack some of these? I'm am curious as to why these characters.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

J'onn had a mate and children on Mars, so the best you could say about him is that, given Martian biology, their conceptions of gender, sex and sexuality are completely different from ours. But he definitely got it on.

Most of the characters you've listed have had sexual relationships. (Seriously, Starfire as asexual? She's just about the polar opposite.) About the only ones I could see as asexual are Darkseid and Joker, and do you really want them as representatives?
    "It's not whether you win or lose, it's whether I win or lose." - Peter David, on life

"If you can't say anything nice about someone, sit right here by me." - Alice Roosevelt Longworth, on manners

"You're much stronger than you think you are." - Superman, on humankind

All-New, All-Different Marvel Checklist

BANNED

For the longest time, I was convinced Wonder Woman was asexual. It went a long way to explaining her disastrous pre-52 love life.

Quote Originally Posted by t hedge coke View Post
    I'm not really sure what the frisson of an asexual Joker, Black Cat, or Batman are, or the gain of an asexual J'onn or Storm.

Care to unpack some of these? I'm am curious as to why these characters.
    Joker - I don't really see the guy as a sexual being and even some of his 'flirting' with Batman could be more of trying to get a rise out of him.

Batman - Well this more of him possibly being asexual and I figured why not since his relationships don't really go anywhere, not even Selina unless it's an elseworld.

Black Cat - Okay this one is more of a 'what if' since she's always been a sexual character I'm interested in seeing her be the opposite.

These choices are really more about me wondering about the possibilities of if they were asexual and how this would affect their relationships with other characters especially canon love interests. It's really just me spitting out random ideas.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Michael P View Post
    J'onn had a mate and children on Mars, so the best you could say about him is that, given Martian biology, their conceptions of gender, sex and sexuality are completely different from ours. But he definitely got it on.

Most of the characters you've listed have had sexual relationships. (Seriously, Starfire as asexual? She's just about the polar opposite.) About the only ones I could see as asexual are Darkseid and Joker, and do you really want them as representatives?
    I don't even think Darkseid should be. Darkseid has kids. He doesn't work without that backstory, and of course Orion doesn't even exist.

I'd say some robot characters would be okay. Ultron. And Jocasta, please. Hank Pym should not be screwing Jocasta.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Hopkins View Post
    I don't even think Darkseid should be. Darkseid has kids. He doesn't work without that backstory, and of course Orion doesn't even exist.

I'd say some robot characters would be okay. Ultron. And Jocasta, please. Hank Pym should not be screwing Jocasta.
    [joshing]Clearly you along with Bender are not ready to accept robosexuality.[/joshing]

Edit: That should actually be Professor Farnsworth. I forgot Bender and Amy had a robosexual relationship. Damn I can't even get a joke right today.
    Last edited by bloodofthegods; 05-04-2015 at 08:45 AM.

I can see Darkseid having sex for procreational purposes but not much else.

I can totally buy Darkseid's kids being the result of test-tube genetics rather than the old-fashioned kind. Although this may just be because I don't want to think about the concept of Darkseid's O-face.
    "It's not whether you win or lose, it's whether I win or lose." - Peter David, on life

"If you can't say anything nice about someone, sit right here by me." - Alice Roosevelt Longworth, on manners

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

I have to admit, All-Star's Joker, who would drug, rape, and humiliate someone and then murder them while staring bored out the window because it's just not good enough... that's the most unnerving the Joker has been for me in a long time. Wearing his face as a mask or whatever is just garish and trying too hard.

But... I'm not really sure how that counts, in terms of sexuality/asexuality.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Anger. Lust. Dominance.

One of the earliest signs that Turpin was being possessed by Darkseid was getting turned on by violence.
    Last edited by t hedge coke; 05-04-2015 at 09:06 AM.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

For me, Joker's sexuality is firmly under the "Don't Wanna Know, Not Gonna Ask" column.

BANNED

For me, Joker's sexuality is firmly under the "Don't Wanna Know, Not Gonna Ask" column.
    For me, he's not gay, just gay for Batman.

BANNED

You mean, Don't Ask, Don't Tell?

Astonishing Member PretenderNX01's Avatar

>Tim Drake
    I haven't read much new52 but he basically was prior to that. One attempt with Spoiler that went nowhere while Superboy flirted with every girl.

Astonishing Member FanboyStranger's Avatar

I don't know. He kept Mortalla around as a concubine for a reason.