Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    YoungWild&Free

Default WiccanXHulkling for the straight guy

I was just curious about what straight male readers think of this pairing from the Young Avengers. All there is to it.

forging evil plans victorxd1999's Avatar

I love them! It's one of the few gay couples that feel natural and they are a very good couple. I'm not a fan of most other gay couples because they feel very forced. Hulkling x Wiccan is the perfect example of how to do relarionships in general.
    "You don't ever quit. Not even to your last drop of blood. You got folks relyin' on you then you just can't afford to." Sean Noonan-Hitman #47

They are the perfect example of how diversity should be done rather than "LOOK AT OUR NEW GAY/BLACK/LATINO/TRANS CHARACTER!!!" that everyone has sadly started doing....I'm all for diversity but not when that fact is thrown in your face and made into THE THING the character is all about. They were introduced very well and it wasn't until we knew them and the story plot called for that this part of them was showed...and even then it wasn't a big deal, just as normal as a hetero-relationship would be.

I was a big fan of the original Young Avengers team and they were apart of that. So they were good in my book. I didn't really care for the Kieron Gillen run though.

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

I think the fact that they feel pretty much the same as a regular couple when protrayed shows that they're generally well written.

Quote Originally Posted by CZor View Post
    They are the perfect example of how diversity should be done rather than "LOOK AT OUR NEW GAY/BLACK/LATINO/TRANS CHARACTER!!!" that everyone has sadly started doing....I'm all for diversity but not when that fact is thrown in your face and made into THE THING the character is all about. They were introduced very well and it wasn't until we knew them and the story plot called for that this part of them was showed...and even then it wasn't a big deal, just as normal as a hetero-relationship would be.
    This has way more to do with the news/media/culture of today than it does with Marvel. If Wiccan and Hulking's same story was told today, there would absolutely be news sites reporting about the "reveal" or "twist" and "diversity!". I mean, look at what happened with Iceman. Marvel didn't say a word about it until it leaked days before the issue came out and then the media got a hold of it. Not really sure any of that is Marvel's fault. And what recent "diverse" comic character has been all about their diversity? If you only follow what the news sites say when talking about diversity, then it may seem like that, but the characters in the books aren't that way at all.

I've never liked the character Wiccan, so I was happy when Ted hooked up with Prodigy.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

Quote Originally Posted by teamhawkeyes View Post
    This has way more to do with the news/media/culture of today than it does with Marvel. If Wiccan and Hulking's same story was told today, there would absolutely be news sites reporting about the "reveal" or "twist" and "diversity!". I mean, look at what happened with Iceman. Marvel didn't say a word about it until it leaked days before the issue came out and then the media got a hold of it. Not really sure any of that is Marvel's fault. And what recent "diverse" comic character has been all about their diversity? If you only follow what the news sites say when talking about diversity, then it may seem like that, but the characters in the books aren't that way at all.
    I guess you are right, it has been the media (as these two debuting when these kind of announcements didn't happened). And that has warped (if initially) how these characters are shown to the public...

Quote Originally Posted by Spear of Bashenga View Post
    I've never liked the character Wiccan, so I was happy when Ted hooked up with Prodigy.
    Seconded. They were originally written as a mary sue couple. Prodigy made things more interesting. And co-signed on the Wiccan comment, he's a walking plot device. He has become unworkable in stories because of that. Then onto his personality which is just whiny.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Metaltron View Post
    I think the fact that they feel pretty much the same as a regular couple when protrayed shows that they're generally well written.
    QFT.

I like them. They're interesting. Not my favorite YA characters, but I certainly have no qualms with either of them. They both have that je ne sais quoi that keeps characters from fading into obscurity.

-Pav, who liked Gillen's YA run a lot...
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

As individual characters, Wiccan bugs me a little too much. I find him too whiney for my tastes. I find Hulking a stronger (in many senses) character, which is more to my liking. However, in general, I do find them very well written as a couple. Like other traditonal Marvel couples (Reed - Sue, Hank - Jan, Alex -Lorna, etc...) In my mind I'll always think of them as a couple, even if writers should chose to no longer make them oine.

Peace

Quote Originally Posted by teamhawkeyes View Post
    Exactly. A lot of people seem to hold Marvel responsible for what the media does, and make judgements about the story based on what the media does, and it strikes me as a bit unfair, since usually the media goes way overboard, and there's nothing Marvel can do about it.

As for Billy and Teddy, I'm not a straight guy, I'm a girl, but I really like them, always have.

Quote Originally Posted by CZor View Post
    Yup, fully agree. They weren't defined by being gay, they just were and that was that.

I think they're cool. I'd like to see more done with them.

Incredible Member

Don't really like any of the original Young Avengers (Kate & Speed are somewhat tolerable) so I don't care about Wiccan or Hulking individually or as a couple.