Incredible Member

Default Fawcett City - DC's Twilight Zone?

This won't be very well explained, but in a discussion with someone earlier today, we kind of discussed the 50s idyllic, trapped in time nature that Fawcett City had at one point (or so we recalled). I'd suggested that it would be very viable to reuse that concept in a more sinister way, having Fawcett City be a city that just "disappeared" one day, only to return every so often with it's people unaging, unchanged, still in that 50s sensibility. It'd be sort of like the Twilight Zone, with an eerie maybe Stepford Smilers, Children of the Corn sort of vibe, and would serve as a reoccurring enemy to the Marvel/Shazam family, both through residents and maybe some of the D-list Fawcett characters that came over when DC bought them, given a boost of sorts.

Thoughts?

Not sure if the 1950s is still popular these days.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by colonyofcells View Post
    Not sure if the 1950s is still popular these days.
    Most things below 1960s get avoided. Kids today don't know much bout the past or care too.

I don't like the idea, mainly because I abhor any idea for the Marvel Family which involves "hey, let's take this innocence and warp it into a nightmarish kewl concept". I very much prefer Fawcwett City to be a normal city - or maybe even a "better" city, if you really must, thanks to the influence of the Marvels.

BANNED

Dark versions of captain marvel have been done enough.

Retired

Kids read the mainstream DC books? They're the target audience? That's news to me. And apparently kids are really stupid poopie-heads--not like us older guys who are so superior smart--there'll never be a generation like ours again, eh?

What about all the science fiction stories with time travel--that doesn't have an audience? Seems to me you don't need to be a historian to understand a Doctor Who story (in fact, it probably gets in the way). All an audience needs to know is that the people in this city exist as if in another time period--not a hard concept. They're like the Amish.

DC has done the Brigadoon idea before. However, I would prefer that it was Earth-Two that was stuck in the past--and it would be the whole planet. That would have resolved the mess with the JSAers (not that it ever bothered me--but it bothered other readers). If the mainstream JLA had crossed over with an Earth-Two that was stlll in the '50s--there would be no problem with the ages of the JSAers. They would be a little farther on in their careers than in the '40s, but young enough to be getting married, having kids, etc.

I prefer the Marvels to be on Earth-S! Or Earth-5. With the Rock of Eternity--the Marvel Family could easily travel to different time periods and alternate realities.